Coolant temperature

Started by dummer, November 09, 2017, 10:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dummer

What's the normal water temp in your GTI. whenever I cross the harbour bridge, I find the coolant temperature down to around 80 these days.

Worry if there is an air lock in the system.

McDoof

Had a similar issue with mine. Turned out that the thermostat was stuck partially open.
Does your car take a really long time to warm up?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Worms

Very probably a poked thermostat, like McDoof says.

Pain in the arse job too! My Touran was the same, I got half way through the job, then just took out the whole engine and started on a conversion  ;D

If it's getting down to 80, it's actually much cooler than that too, because the gauges are buffered over a wide range.

Replace it, and you'll probably find your economy increases.

The Red Warrior

Yeah, most likely the main thermostat is stuck open.
I replaced mine last year in my GTI.
There's a good diy guide that I followed at pelicanparts.com

dummer

bummer...

I replaced cambelt last year together with water pump... would have thought they replaced the thermostat as well...

Other than taking longer to warm the car, are there any other down side?

Changing coolant mean I need to borrow my friends compressor for a vacuum fill because I have turned the radiator return pipe about 45 degree (to install my intake)

McDoof

If it takes longer to get warm, it increases the wear on the engine. While the engine is cold it will also run a richer mix so fuel consumption is affected too.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

Quote from: dummer on November 09, 2017, 06:30:02 PM
bummer...

I replaced cambelt last year together with water pump... would have thought they replaced the thermostat as well...

Other than taking longer to warm the car, are there any other down side?

Changing coolant mean I need to borrow my friends compressor for a vacuum fill because I have turned the radiator return pipe about 45 degree (to install my intake)

No Thermostat is located in another location and is not usually specified as a replacement part. As far as a cambelt change is concerned.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

dummer

Did a quick google on DIY.
Sound like it's a b*tch to do it. either take the intake manifold off (and do carbon clean at the same time) or have to take the alternator off, then hope the plastic is not too brittle :(

Worms

Quote from: dummer on November 10, 2017, 05:06:08 PM
Sound like it's a b*tch to do it. either take the intake manifold off (and do carbon clean at the same time) or have to take the alternator off, then hope the plastic is not too brittle :(

It's the dumbest place I've had to get to, just for a thermostat! They're not known for lasting forever either.

dummer

how long it took you last time?

GLIDN

Quote from: dummer on November 10, 2017, 05:06:08 PM

don't need to remove intake manifold for the thermostat. Only the alternator has to come out.
Make sure the housing is seating in correctly before assembly. Otherwise you will be doing it again.

As I discovered on my own car, in my defense I was changing it at almost 3am in the morning.
So just be 100% sure.

WEZO

GLIDN - you never replied to my PM regarding o2 sensor?
2008 R32

GLIDN

Quote from: WEZO on November 15, 2017, 09:36:21 AM
GLIDN - you never replied to my PM regarding o2 sensor?

Sorry not seen the message. Thanks for letting me know.