Shopping questions

Started by tusk, November 28, 2017, 05:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tusk

Hey all shopping for a new car for myself. I've been driving BMW's for a while but thought a mk6 gti or R might make a nice change. Sorry if these are covered elsewhere - have had a look but couldn't find...
1. Looking at gti 35 edition or maybe r - do these have a belt or chain? Service internals for these items?
2. Suggested maint for a used purchase? At present I'm assuming dsg\haldex but anything else?
3. Recommended repairer on the North Shore?

And car audio... I'm a little old school. I used to post on NZICE but haven't been on in years and it doesn't look to be running quite like it used to... It used to be standard to replace the h\u, speakers and add an amp\sub - and this is pretty simple in older BMW's. I'm not sure the same is true anymore in either BMW or VW. So what are the options?

Car I looked at today is a gti with some carrozzeria h/u that would need to come out. Looking through posts people seem to like rcd330's? Are these genuine VW units?

Cheers for your time.

The Red Warrior

Can't help much on the mk6 front though both the cars you mention are likely to be my next car (probably the ed35 with a tune).
The RCD330 is genuine but for the Chinese market (among others). I've recently replaced my RCD510 with an RCD330 Plus and really like it. A definite upgrade.

And welcome to the forum.

slowmo

I believe the R and ED35 engines are TFSI and therefore have a belt driven engine. Service intervals is 120k or 5 years according to my mk6 owner?s handbook (from memory).

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

McDoof

Audio upgrades on the MK6 are pretty easy.
You can either go with the huge range of VW stock units for a simple swap. Or get a frame and put in a decent double DIN unit of your choice. Or you can even go with a chinese android powered uinit. They are cheap, but work surprisingly well. Check out Aliexpress

There is also a spot under the passenger seat where you can neatly fit a Class D amp.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

JaseNZ

Yup I went from a BMW to gti and was the best move I have ever made. Have done all my mods myself which were very easy, all mine were electrical based and have not touched the engine, Have found I am happy with the way it is and drives. Added OEM gps and Bluetooth, door safety lights and wireless charger for the phone. Purchased VAG com so have done all the coding myself (very very easy)

Opps I did have a tune done and put these in. I also had a full service including a DSG service done. Its all factory though. Mine is a late 2011 import.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

tusk

Looking at this - https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1461304340

Just on the odd chance someone knows anything about this car specifically?

dummer

Classified expired. you bought it?

tusk

JaseNZ

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

tusk

tusk

Any recommended place near penrose for a ppi? Tried Qualitat but they are booked up until next week...

Nevermind found a place.

The Red Warrior

VW Giltrap Botany?
Not really close but only 15 minutes away.

Do Platinum do them?

GLIDN

Quote from: tusk on November 28, 2017, 05:18:50 PM
Hey all shopping for a new car for myself. I've been driving BMW's for a while but thought a mk6 gti or R might make a nice change. Sorry if these are covered elsewhere - have had a look but couldn't find...
1. Looking at gti 35 edition or maybe r - do these have a belt or chain? Service internals for these items?
2. Suggested maint for a used purchase? At present I'm assuming dsg\haldex but anything else?
3. Recommended repairer on the North Shore?

And car audio... I'm a little old school. I used to post on NZICE but haven't been on in years and it doesn't look to be running quite like it used to... It used to be standard to replace the h\u, speakers and add an amp\sub - and this is pretty simple in older BMW's. I'm not sure the same is true anymore in either BMW or VW. So what are the options?

Car I looked at today is a gti with some carrozzeria h/u that would need to come out. Looking through posts people seem to like rcd330's? Are these genuine VW units?

Cheers for your time.

Welcome aboard bud, you may or may not remember me from NZICE.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

tusk

Hey Gildn - yeah I remember you. You helped me with some question I had back in the day replacing the ex's passat headunit.

Cheers for the welcome  8)

GLIDN

send me a message bud.
pop thru to our shop one late night evening.
You can see what we are up to and what we continue building.

Happy to help you with the new purchase also.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning