Brake Pads - Ferodo DS2500 VS EBC Yellowstuff

Started by RS ZWEI, November 29, 2017, 11:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Im about to do the brakes on the Megane R26, I was wondering if I should go Ferodo DS2500 VS EBC Yellowstuff? Or something else?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

McDoof

If you don't drive it on the track then I would go with something Ceramic to keep the dust low. Those track biased pads might give better fade resistance on the track, but the dust they produce is pretty bad and they chew up your rotors.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

schattenblau

hi nik,

what's the factory pad, a pagid ?

of the two you mention - the ferodo - it's a track pad but not too extreme for road use.

robh

Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

Gordo

As they suggest, not knowing what you expect from the pads makes any reccomendation moot.

You can see a fairly comprehensive comparison of the various brake pad materials here - http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Brake_pads - it also has the CoF and variations with temperature, which some may find very handy. I've bookmarked the page. bear in mind that the CoF can be quite different for different pads and this may affect the brake balance of your car.

Hmmm, lots of info on pads available online, not just those options, so may be worth having a good look?

Just don't abuse them this much - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPf4qwtr8Fs  :laugh:
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

RS ZWEI

Quote from: schattenblau on November 29, 2017, 02:48:12 PM
hi nik,

what's the factory pad, a pagid ?

of the two you mention - the ferodo - it's a track pad but not too extreme for road use.

It could be a Brembo pad I think?
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

RS ZWEI

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

HaNs

I had yellow stuff in my clio 172, hated them. Hawk pads are worth a look also

wilco

I have/had redstuff in the 928S4 calipers on a couple of quattros - bloody good. Never, ever run out of pedal.  Even on a blast through the Rotoma's or over Mt Messenger.  Last track day we all had so long ago it was all day and nary a clenching moment...

robh

I would be surprised if a good quality road pad isn't good enough for the Brembo setup on R26 even with fast road driving, they are not a heavy car.

Have you ever had issues with brakes on the road previously?

Never heard anything good about yellowstuff.

DS2500 have worked well for me, but they can squeak on the road with light applications in traffic.

Filx

I've never had much joy out of Yellowstuff either.

I also agree with Rob and would have thought a good road pad should be plenty for some back road driving on a car like the R26.

I've been using DS2400s on the front my Mk5 wagon - they're good for the price. I like that "grabby" brake feel as they bite quite hard from light to mid pedal application. They also squeal occasionally though. They'll also do 5-6 laps of HD before going off, but that's with a fairly heavy car on 312x25mm rotors and with my rubbish driving. A lighter car with bigger rotors and a better driver would probably get a lot more out of them.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

McDoof

Bear in mind that any dusty pads will also cause your rotors to "warp". Not really warping, but they leave a deposit on the disk which begins to form the corrugations that cause uneven rotor wear. Especially if your handbrake uses your rear disks rather than a drum. If that is not an issue for you then I would recommend the Stoptech Street Performance pad. It's very similar to the Ferodo DS pad, but a bit cheaper to buy and better initial bite.

But really if you arent going to track the car then I would recommend these. http://akebonobrakes.com/euro
Virtually dust free and still give ample stopping power for spirited windy roads.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

robh

Quote from: McDoof on November 30, 2017, 09:02:45 AM
Bear in mind that any dusty pads will also cause your rotors to "warp". Not really warping, but they leave a deposit on the disk which begins to form the corrugations that cause uneven rotor wear. Especially if your handbrake uses your rear disks rather than a drum. If that is not an issue for you then I would recommend the Stoptech Street Performance pad. It's very similar to the Ferodo DS pad, but a bit cheaper to buy and better initial bite.

But really if you arent going to track the car then I would recommend these. http://akebonobrakes.com/euro
Virtually dust free and still give ample stopping power for spirited windy roads.

Dusty pads don?t cause rotors to warp, what your describing happens if you put too much heat through the pad beyond what it?s rated for.  This can leave deposits on rotor which make it feel warped through pedal.

McDoof

Quote from: robh on November 30, 2017, 09:51:07 AM
Dusty pads don?t cause rotors to warp, what your describing happens if you put too much heat through the pad beyond what it?s rated for.  This can leave deposits on rotor which make it feel warped through pedal.
Yes. If you read all of my comment, then  you will see that this is exactly what I just said. Minus the involvement of excessive heat . I found that heat wasn't really a factor, the pads left deposits on the rotors even under normal driving conditions.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RS ZWEI

Quote from: robh on November 29, 2017, 08:09:27 PM
I would be surprised if a good quality road pad isn't good enough for the Brembo setup on R26 even with fast road driving, they are not a heavy car.

Have you ever had issues with brakes on the road previously?

Never heard anything good about yellowstuff.

DS2500 have worked well for me, but they can squeak on the road with light applications in traffic.

From a couple of emergency test stops Ive done Im not that happy with whatever pad is in the car. Im hopefully off to Mahia tomorrow for the day, I should be able to report back after that. Im also going to change the fluid, planning on using this:

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/racing-brake-fluid
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

robh

Quote from: RS ZWEI on November 30, 2017, 10:38:50 AM
From a couple of emergency test stops Ive done Im not that happy with whatever pad is in the car. Im hopefully off to Mahia tomorrow for the day, I should be able to report back after that. Im also going to change the fluid, planning on using this:

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/racing-brake-fluid

Feel at the pedal?

Pedal travel increasing?

Pedal spongy?

RS ZWEI

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

robh

Maybe have a chat with race brakes, explain that lacking in bite rather than needing massive track based heat range.

Gordo

From cold or when they got hot?
By "bite" I assume you mean you need more pedal force than you thought appropriate?

Have a good look at the CoF (co-efficent of friction) for the pads you are considering on the site I linked to earlier. Some pads are biased towards cold, some hot, some have a relatively flat CoF and some actually increase as they get hot. If you can find out what you currently have and can find their characteristics yoou can then look for pads that are better in the range you feel there is a weakness and, hopefully, without introducing a different problem.

Gordo

Ah, I see PFC are an official Renault Sport supplier - see what they have to offer here - http://pfcbrakes.com/parts-finder