RCD330+ Head Unit Install - Highly Recommended

Started by ethan_rose, December 19, 2017, 10:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaseNZ

I just need to figure out how to code out the RVC as don't have one and not interested in putting one in.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

ethan_rose

Quote from: jasegti on December 31, 2017, 03:59:27 PM
I just need to figure out how to code out the RVC as don't have one and not interested in putting one in.

If you?ve got access to VCDS its pretty trivial. Was able to do myself with no trouble.
MY09 Scirocco 2.0T

JaseNZ

Quote from: ethan_rose on December 31, 2017, 06:42:56 PM
If you?ve got access to VCDS its pretty trivial. Was able to do myself with no trouble.

Yup done and done no more blank screen on reverse.

ethan_rose

Got the new unit today (see above for link) and installed. Hardware version 534, software 5314.

Works great, just the same as the previous one but with Android Auto instead of Baidu Carlife and red details on the various pages instead of yellow.

MY09 Scirocco 2.0T

bravo

Missed this thread, but ordered one of these on New year's Eve. Got here on Thursday (4 days from China). My r36 is in getting the bumper repaired as a noob in a Subaru rear ended me, so it won't be until the weekend that I can try fitting it.

Won't be so straightforward as I have rvc and need to install the rgb-cvbs adapter. Plus have the red MFD and 8 button wheel so no buttons for me :( still better than the Japanese RNS510 with no Bluetooth or radio stations tho!

Was looking at the C version but would have attracted duty as it's more expensive.

Also don't have vcds. What's the best affordable option here? eBay knock off or obdeleven?

thomas.dq

Quote from: bravo on January 08, 2018, 10:25:43 PM
Missed this thread, but ordered one of these on New year's Eve. Got here on Thursday (4 days from China). My r36 is in getting the bumper repaired as a noob in a Subaru rear ended me, so it won't be until the weekend that I can try fitting it.

Won't be so straightforward as I have rvc and need to install the rgb-cvbs adapter. Plus have the red MFD and 8 button wheel so no buttons for me :( still better than the Japanese RNS510 with no Bluetooth or radio stations tho!

Was looking at the C version but would have attracted duty as it's more expensive.

Also don't have vcds. What's the best affordable option here? eBay knock off or obdeleven?

I have this. Works well.

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/shop/vagcom-vcds-17
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI

The Red Warrior

Quote from: ethan_rose on January 08, 2018, 04:58:44 PM
Got the new unit today (see above for link) and installed. Hardware version 534, software 5314.

Works great, just the same as the previous one but with Android Auto instead of Baidu Carlife and red details on the various pages instead of yellow.

Any bugs that you've found so far or all good?

wsnownz

Quote from: bravo on January 08, 2018, 10:25:43 PM
MWon't be so straightforward as I have rvc and need to install the rgb-cvbs adapter. Plus have the red MFD and 8 button wheel so no buttons for me :( still better than the Japanese RNS510 with no Bluetooth or radio stations tho!

I?ve read on a couple of forums that updating the steering wheel control module to CH revision allows the 8 button steering wheel to work. I?ll probably give it a go if I end up going down this route with my golf.

bravo

Thanks. After a fair bit of searching found this on a VW Vortex thread:

QuoteI can also confirm that updating the SWCM to a CH module allowed the steering wheel buttons to work with this HU on my 2006 GTI. I also replaced the dual cruise control stalk with a single version, as I was told the CH module is only compatible with the single stalk version, and if you swap the CH module without changing stalks, cruise will no longer work.

And yes, replacing the cruise stalk requires pulling the airbag and steering wheel off. Also the SWCM upgrade required VCDS coding to work properly. All worth it though!!

Not completely true on having to replace the turn signal/cruise control stalk if you have the dual stock setup. I still run mine, I just have to pull back to set, and turn it off and on again to create a new set point. Increase/decrease and resume still work, it is just the set that doesn't. When I pull everything apart for my climatronic swap, I will try merging the ground lines on the stalk, which I've also seen as a way to get it functioning correctly.

When you updated your SWCM, did you end up with an airbag fault? I did until I put a couple of pins into the airbag circuit path in the SWCM. My 2006 has a dual stage airbag, which requires two signal paths, not one.

Good to know you can combine the CH module with the dual cruise stalk and still have some functionality. I never actually tested that combo, just swapped it all at the same time. After using the single stalk setup for a while, I think I prefer it actually. Less accidental situations where I would hit the dual stalk and knock of out of cruise, or turn off cruise completely due to the multiple detents when pushing inward.

About the airbag fault, yes I had the same issue because the 06's have dual stage bags, and the CH module is intended for newer single stage airbag setups. I swapped the two pins over from my old SWCM onto the new board, using a solder gun, and voila, no more airbag fault.

So probably a fair bit more work and $ to get a partially working setup with simply a different compromise. Might be simpler to upgrade the wheel and MFD to the 12-button and white display. Although I haven't researched that completely yet either. At this stage I'm going to get it in and get the camera working and see how much I miss the steering wheel controls. While i use them every day, I'm pretty sure I'll quickly adapt.

bravo

With the Android Auto/Car play version. The mute button is replaced with an APP button. How do you mute the unit?

bravo

Test installed tonight without camera. Plug and play and everything works great except Android Auto which constantly crashes the unit and locks up my phone. Not sure if it's a problem with the firmware or my phone. I have a LG G6. Will try a Samsung tomorrow.

As it stands definitely not worth shelling out for Android Auto.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

ethan_rose

Quote from: bravo on January 11, 2018, 10:20:27 PM
With the Android Auto/Car play version. The mute button is replaced with an APP button. How do you mute the unit?

I?ve found the only way is to hold the volume down button on the steering wheel. ?\_(ツ)_/?
MY09 Scirocco 2.0T

bravo

Quote from: bravo on January 12, 2018, 11:19:49 PM
Test installed tonight without camera. Plug and play and everything works great except Android Auto which constantly crashes the unit and locks up my phone. Not sure if it's a problem with the firmware or my phone. I have a LG G6.

Solved. Need to activate USB debugging on my phone for Android auto to work with this handset.

Now if only SoundCloud was supported...

Will try hooking up the camera today. Park pilot works flawlessly.

bravo

Quote from: ethan_rose on January 13, 2018, 07:34:04 AM
I?ve found the only way is to hold the volume down button on the steering wheel. ?\_(ツ)_/?

8-button wheel means buttons don't work. Ah well. Not the end of the world. Would be great if the right knob could be reprogrammed push to mute....

bravo

Anyone have a list of android auto apps supported on the rcd3330+?

For instance is there support for FB messenger or WhatsApp? What music players are supported?

I have pulsar for music but it tends to lock up for folders with anything but a handful of entries.

And don't know how to access message apps or if it's even possible.

bravo

One more question.

Has anyone got the oem camera working using a 26 pin RGB to CVBS converter unit? If so, how did you connect it - particularly the reverse/backup wire?

I have +ve and ground tapped into the feeds into the quad block connector and am receiving voltage. I tried tapping the back wire into +ve as well temporarily just to give it power as I'm guessing it is a relay feed, but I still get the reverse camera not available message when reversing.

Thanks

JaseNZ

Quote from: bravo on January 13, 2018, 09:11:16 AM
Anyone have a list of android auto apps supported on the rcd3330+?

For instance is there support for FB messenger or WhatsApp? What music players are supported?

I have pulsar for music but it tends to lock up for folders with anything but a handful of entries.

And don't know how to access message apps or if it's even possible.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all?hl=en

bravo

Thanks Jase. I managed to get that far on my own.  :D I think it's a limitation of the unit as same problem with all the apps I've tried including Google Play Music with a playlist of all my songs.

A bit of a pain.

AA is slightly unstable too with the occasional crash. This could be my phone (LG G6) as it was really crashey and basically unusable until I enabled USB debugging. So possible compatibility isn't great. Will try other devices when I can and post feedback.

So Sinosmart (eBay and AliExpress) who supplied the RGB converter think it might be an issue with the dynamic trajectory camera. Possible as it may need a CAN connection to turn on and get steering wheel position info??? They offered to send me a different unit that *might* work or refund me. I took refund and will try find a solution or buy an aftermarket camera without dynamic trajectory rather than take the punt.

Anyone without DT want a cheap, unused RGB to CVBS converter?  8)