WTB: C4 steering rack damper

Started by tjsmada, June 08, 2020, 04:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjsmada

P/n 4A0 425 021 for my S6. Thought I'd try here for a functioning second hand one before I get one out of the USA. Cheers.

portmanteau

I have one here which as far as I recall felt pretty strong when I took it off a '95 S6 a couple of months ago. PM me if you like
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

user2154

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-febi-parts/steering-damper/4a0425021~feb/

IMO it doesn't do much, if you have an issue with tramlining either get a correct wheel alignment or look for other issues.

tjsmada

Yeah that's the one I am looking at getting in. I made a mistake when reinstalling my steering rack in that i forgot install the spacer on the body end of the damper. I didnt realise until I noticed oil under the damper, along with the spacer tucked away next to the wiring loom, and realised the stress of being out of alignment had cracked something in the end of the damper and dumped its oil.  I have noticed how at my local on ramp I can really notice the step in the road surface where it transitions into the left lane now, so I'm looking to put a functioning damper in there!
On the bright side, I havent noticed any damage to the bracket on the body

user2154

Why did you reinstall the steering rack, did you do the rack boot?

I did my rack boot with the head off last year, still a c**t of a job even with the head off. Before that I had cut a rack boot the length down and secured it with cable ties... this actually works ok and gets you a WOF if they don't look to hard.

tjsmada

That sounds rough ;D yeah, had to replace the rack boot. A bit of a pain, but nothing like as bad as a v8 quattro