Autohold Query About the Golf GTI Mk7.5

Started by NewtoGolf, January 05, 2018, 10:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewtoGolf

As a soon-to-be owner of a new Golf GTI (and new to VW too) I have a couple of lingering questions about the Golf that I would much appreciate an answer to. 

1.  I think I understand how the autohold function works but am interested in how the GTI behaves when autohold is switched off (even if inadvertently).  Will cars fitted with the DSG roll back on an incline or do they also feature a hill start assist function (i.e. holding the car for a second or two to enable the driver to get their foot off the foot break and on to the accelerator)?  HSA seems to be ubiquitous on cars these days but VW make no mention of it.

2.  How do people find the GTI's ride quality over rough surfaces?  In test drive I thought it was pretty good but I'd be keen to hear from others who have driven over extended periods.

Much appreciated.

Brett

Currently using one as a company car for the last 15,000km.

1) The autohold function won't hold the car if not switched on. This means when you turn the car off on a hill you will manually need to put the EPB on before selecting P as the car will roll down the hill and only be held by the selector....not the best for it. You don't actually need to turn off the EPB when starting off on a hill or otherwise as once the accelerator is pressed it turns off automatically. Personally I leave autohold switched on 24/7. Extremely useful on hills and it automatically engages the EPB when switching the car off. Not really a bother in stop/start traffic either.

2) The ride is firm but nothing over the top. Not crashy like the same generation Polo GTI.

They're great all round cars and have a lot of go when needed even in stock form.
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

NewtoGolf

Quote from: Brett on January 05, 2018, 11:01:52 AM
Currently using one as a company car for the last 15,000km.

1) The autohold function won't hold the car if not switched on. This means when you turn the car off on a hill you will manually need to put the EPB on before selecting P as the car will roll down the hill and only be held by the selector....not the best for it. You don't actually need to turn off the EPB when starting off on a hill or otherwise as once the accelerator is pressed it turns off automatically. Personally I leave autohold switched on 24/7. Extremely useful on hills and it automatically engages the EPB when switching the car off. Not really a bother in stop/start traffic either.

2) The ride is firm but nothing over the top. Not crashy like the same generation Polo GTI.

They're great all round cars and have a lot of go when needed even in stock form.

Thanks Brett - that's very helpful.

I wish I worked for a company that would provide a Golf GTI !  (mine wouldn't give me so much as a skateboard)

benpaul12

Auto hold is something to get used to, but it's really great because:

- Around town waiting at lights means you don't have to sit there with your foot on the brake. A tap on the accelerator will remove it, off you go.
- When you unbuckle your seatbelt it automatically applies the handbrake.

Only times when it's slightly annoying is when you're not really intending to stop and it puts the brake on and makes things slightly lurchy. But you get used to it by not pressing the brake too heavily (just like not fully stopping to invoke start/stop).

vonripsnorter

Quote from: benpaul12 on January 19, 2018, 11:31:02 AM
Auto hold is something to get used to, but it's really great because:

- Around town waiting at lights means you don't have to sit there with your foot on the brake. A tap on the accelerator will remove it, off you go.
- When you unbuckle your seatbelt it automatically applies the handbrake.

Only times when it's slightly annoying is when you're not really intending to stop and it puts the brake on and makes things slightly lurchy. But you get used to it by not pressing the brake too heavily (just like not fully stopping to invoke start/stop).
My sentiments exactly . I'll just add in regarding your very last comment, I've found that you can come to a full stop without invoking start/stop, if you come to the stop with very light brake pressure & remove your foot completely off the brake pedal the second the Auto Hold engages :)

NewtoGolf

Thanks for the useful tips around using autohold and start-stop.

I guess my original query was really around whether it is possible to drive the car without using autohold and still expect the car to hold briefly on a hill when I take my foot off the foot brake i.e. long enough to get on the accelerator and do a takeoff.

Most new cars -including those with autohold - also have hill launch assist which holds the car for a second or so even when autohold is turned off.  Still not clear to me whether this is also the case in the Golf.