B7 RS4 questions

Started by curts, January 06, 2018, 06:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curts

Ok, so I was looking at a Mercedes C63 but test drove a couple of RS4s today and at first didn?t like it but the second I drove I did like. Owners of the B7s ? how are they to live with as a daily ? gas mileage, reliability, any other things. I?d probably give my Pirelli to to the mrs, or trade it for the RS4. Thoughts on this? Cheers.
2009 MK5 Pirelli Golf GTI
2007 MK5 Golf R32

subysnax

I too thought about the amg c63, but I would want a 2012 model so that bumps the price into the mid 40's. So I am looking into the RS4 also, if cost was no issue my partner (she) would give me the backhand if I didnt come home with the c63 haha

moochier

Hey Guys,

The B7 is a great choice, I?ve lived with one (or 2) since new in 2007, it?s my daily driver and I still have it as I can?t bear to part with it.

Firstly they are manual, which is better than any sort of auto, in all situations, unless you commute in crawling traffic. 1st gear crawling is apita.

The bucket seats are amazing, comfortable and supportive. The newer B8 these had to be optioned, which few did.

The V8 sound is heavenly, especially with a milltek or similar exhaust. I don?t listen to the stereo any more...

Fuel economy is pretty good imo, even driving them hard they are not overly thirsty. Way better than c63.

Take an rs4 for a back road drive and you will be hooked. They are not the same as any other S4, A4 etc... they are more raw, responsive and more chuckable than a RS6. Get the alignment setup for track, reduce toe in, max out negative camber and drive it hard. But safely!

The down sides are:

Leg room in the rear, they are a small wagon and adults in the rear will suffer with lack of leg room.

The brake discs and pads can be expensive when it?s time to replace them, check disc wear.

The engine can suffer from carbon build up, costs about $1200 to have cleaned out every 3yrs or so the up side is that the car feels like new again and revs out more freely making you fall in love again.

Some cars have had the shock absorbers leak, they are a pressurised system that once they leak only Audi can repair/replace, so most then opt for after market shocks. My 2 cars have not suffered this issue.

Communications interface is old/non existant unless you upgrade to aftermaket system. These were outdated in 2006 when they were released as the car is basically a 2004 model.

Hope this helps.

RS4 Black Avant '06 B7 | milltek - replacement!!
RS4 Black Avant '07 B7 - toast
Alfa Giulietta Black '12 - you have to have had at least one right?!

Stickman

Quote from: moochier on January 08, 2018, 08:38:13 AM
Hey Guys,

The B7 is a great choice, I?ve lived with one (or 2) since new in 2007, it?s my daily driver and I still have it as I can?t bear to part with it.

Firstly they are manual, which is better than any sort of auto, in all situations, unless you commute in crawling traffic. 1st gear crawling is apita.

The bucket seats are amazing, comfortable and supportive. The newer B8 these had to be optioned, which few did.

The V8 sound is heavenly, especially with a milltek or similar exhaust. I don?t listen to the stereo any more...

Fuel economy is pretty good imo, even driving them hard they are not overly thirsty. Way better than c63.

Take an rs4 for a back road drive and you will be hooked. They are not the same as any other S4, A4 etc... they are more raw, responsive and more chuckable than a RS6. Get the alignment setup for track, reduce toe in, max out negative camber and drive it hard. But safely!

The down sides are:

Leg room in the rear, they are a small wagon and adults in the rear will suffer with lack of leg room.

The brake discs and pads can be expensive when it?s time to replace them, check disc wear.

The engine can suffer from carbon build up, costs about $1200 to have cleaned out every 3yrs or so the up side is that the car feels like new again and revs out more freely making you fall in love again.

Some cars have had the shock absorbers leak, they are a pressurised system that once they leak only Audi can repair/replace, so most then opt for after market shocks. My 2 cars have not suffered this issue.

Communications interface is old/non existant unless you upgrade to aftermaket system. These were outdated in 2006 when they were released as the car is basically a 2004 model.

Hope this helps.

On the money here.

I have had one for 3 years and I absolutely love it still. I am also fortunate enough to currently have a RS6 Performance and while it is a phenomenal car (the power is absolutely incredible for a family wagon) the RS4 is still the car I would pick for a road trip. They are not the fastest car of their ilk in a straight line, nor will it be quickest around the track (except for in the wet perhaps)...but as an everyday car in the real world the B7 RS4 is sublime. The styling still looks awesome 13 years on too. If you buy one that has been well looked after, I do not believe that it is possible to be disappointed owning a B7 RS4.
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4