01e Issues

Started by k3zza, February 20, 2020, 01:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k3zza

REQUIRE B5 TECH HELP

Got a tech post requiring some help, really stumped with this one.

Motor shop have installed the full JH Motorsports transmission rebuild kit (1-2nd shift collars and all new synchros) as well as the JH Motorsports shifter trio package (solid linkage, short shifter and delrin stabliser bushing) for the 01E transmission.

Under gentle driving, there is no problems. Under load, the 2nd gear pops out.

They put it into second gear and then removed the gear lever and tried harder acceleration and it didn't pop out of gear, which seems to indicate that everything internally in the transmission is actually fine, and that it's more to do with the shifter etc.

I'll post the email I received from them. Any ideas at all would highly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
00 B5 S4

k3zza

From shop:

"Ok, well we have been through everything 5 times with this gear selection.
Here is the strange thing that's difficult to grasp. When we drive the vehicle with any of the shifter units / rods attached, both stock and S4 RS4 it will jump out of second gear under hardish acceleration.
It's a very smooth shift and nice to change gear in all aspects, when you hold the lever back slightly with a little weight, its fine in second.
Second gear is the only gear that is a problem Let it go in moderate driving its fine.
So we took the gear lever off whilst in second gear pushed the car out, took off in second gear and tested and it dose not jump out of gear!!
This would indicate that the gearbox is in fact ok.
However if there is a selector fork or something not visible at glance, once load / weight from the rods and selectors are attached its giving this gear drop issue. Super frustrating!
My guys have added tension springs to stop it moving around, adjusted it as much as they think it would need but just cannot remedy it.
I'm not sure after doing all the rebuild parts were installed, they would have any impact on the selection.
New hubs and rings are all working from what we feel with no rods attached, fine.
We have googled it and I'm sure if you look there is a little info on this topic.
Really not sure what to do from here, taking the box out is a major and I think we wont find anything. (unless a fork is bent, but that would have to go back to previous the rebuild) Jamie studied everything pretty meticulously and normally a bend fork would be noticeable. And or show up as binding with selection which its just does not do.
Selects beautifully
Give me some input or ask around maybe with some of the experts, we are stumped. If the box has to come out, it has to come out to double check 2nd syncro cone/ring."
00 B5 S4

schattenblau

is the JH kit for a RHD car ?

k3zza

The JH kit is for both left hand and right hand drives. The shifter in both left and right hand drive cars are the same - shift rod running down left side of transmission etc.
00 B5 S4