mk5 GTI Down Pipe

Started by DTM, January 17, 2018, 07:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTM

Hi Guys

I?ve been hunting for one for some time now , sorry Miltek is ridicoulus with their pricing. There are plenty options on EBAY but to be honest the different vendors list a price and it?s never what it seems. Is there a local company in Auckland that can make up a DP and fitted for half the price to import one. Or is there no other option really?

I would rather want to support a local shop who can do or make up a DP for reasonable price vs importing one. I believe there is a market here to make our own stuff but who? Thanks guys just needs a heads up or I will be buying from the USA unfortunetly.

ranton-inc

I had 3 or 4 pre made but threw them all out because no one wanted to pay the material cost let alone the fabrication time involved.

Mk316vGti

Naekyr

cheap option: go to an pitstop, get them to chop out the resonator and gut the inside of the mufler

otherwise I think milltek stuff is pretty cheap and mass market, there are far more expensive options out there in NZ and some not even available here

for instance: http://www.bestexhaust.co.nz/store/supersprint-golf-turbo-downpipe-incl-cpsi-euro-p-14253.html

I'm guessing from the quotes you got you could buy several milltek pipes for a single price of a supersprint

Check out Empire Performance located in Perth?

They might be able to ship it here for cheap

Jaycray NZ

I just inquired to Empire Performance about their downpipe and they quoted me $118 shipping to Christchurch for anybody wondering.

GLIDN

Quote from: Jaycray NZ on January 29, 2018, 07:38:39 PM
I just inquired to Empire Performance about their downpipe and they quoted me $118 shipping to Christchurch for anybody wondering.

rather not skimp on cheap downpipes. But There is a certain brand I add to this category even thou it has a high price point also.

Almost all the "cheaper" downpipes I have now seen, fitted or inspected?
Here are my findings, take from this what you wish? I would just like everyone to be aware of the pitfalls with these cheaper downpipes.
I won't fit them, due to multiple issues.

1. There turbo mounting flange is almost always smaller than stock. Therefore negating a 3" downpipe
2. Fitment is poor at best
3. Reliability is also so far not there, leaks (WOF issues), snaps or cracks right thru.

I helped a Golf R owner with issues 2 + 3. When purchased, best decision was made to go back to factory downpipe instead.
He has been 100% happier ever since.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Naekyr

Quote from: GLIDN on January 30, 2018, 07:22:27 PM
rather not skimp on cheap downpipes. But There is a certain brand I add to this category even thou it has a high price point also.

Almost all the "cheaper" downpipes I have now seen, fitted or inspected?
Here are my findings, take from this what you wish? I would just like everyone to be aware of the pitfalls with these cheaper downpipes.
I won't fit them, due to multiple issues.

1. There turbo mounting flange is almost always smaller than stock. Therefore negating a 3" downpipe
2. Fitment is poor at best
3. Reliability is also so far not there, leaks (WOF issues), snaps or cracks right thru.

I helped a Golf R owner with issues 2 + 3. When purchased, best decision was made to go back to factory downpipe instead.
He has been 100% happier ever since.

Quite keen to hear which brands should be avoided?

GLIDN

Quote from: Naekyr on January 31, 2018, 12:27:39 PM
Quite keen to hear which brands should be avoided?

I'm not here to name or shame any other products. Unless I know they are extremely poor.
Certainly has taken a long time to understand, test and inspect many options available. Even costly some would say.

Anyone I work with, servicing, upgrading or tuning their vehicle will receive this knowledge as part of the experience.
It does not however, take much to find the answer you're looking for Naekyr.

The 3 indications provided above is an excellent starting point with any downpipe/exhaust one's looking for. If it fails any of the issues mentioned.
Then it's one to be avoided.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

ERRRNO

I'm running a Unitronic DP in my mk5 and the fitment is excellent. It is the high flow cat version so it keeps the noise levels down close to factory (this is what I wanted at the time) and the fitment is outstanding.
And to top it off its gone all kinds of pretty colours now that I've put some heat into it!

I have also had first hand experience installing CTS (good) versions and cheap nasty eBay (bad....very bad) DPs...
If you go for decat youll gain all the good DSG noises that every one craves

just my 2c anyway.
Black 3door Mk4 TDI - Elite Motorsport Hyper miler
Tornado Red Mk5 2.0 TFSI Variant - Elite Motorsport Stage 2
White Mk6 GTI DSG - Elite Motorsport Stage 1