Advice needed please !

Started by ryanhorton1973, February 11, 2018, 01:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanhorton1973

Hi All. I am originally form the UK and have had a nice sheltered life car wise as I have had company vehicles for over 14 years! I am now looking at changing jobs and will have to purchase one as a daily driver. I am looking at either this  https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1498054154 or https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1541608527 or Golf or Passat Wagons (various ones on trade me with both 2.0 litre and 1.4 litre engines). My question is which one long term is the best for reliability and on going maintenance costs? I have heard that there were numerous issues with the early twin charged 1.4 engines. How do I tell which engine is twin charged or just turbo? I have tried googling this but have just ended up more confused! If  people can advise as to what in their own opinion is good to go for so I can make a decision as to what car is right for me. My max budget is $7000 and fully appreciate any advice given (good and bad!). Thanks in advance for any advice.

RobClubley

Hi Mate,
As far as I know only the 1.4 was ever twin charged. All others - 1.8t, 2.0t are single turbo.
I don't know much about long-term reliability, but try and get one that comes with a regular service history, then at least you know it has been looked after.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Trofeo

That Audi looks like a non-turbo. So no issues there other than being gutless!
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Worms

Those 1.4's go bang way too often for my liking. Some much later ones were turbo only I believe, that Touran is pretty much guaranteed a twincharger.

I've got 2 pre-facelift Tourans, Although one has been modifed now, both used to be 2.0 FSI powered and are a long wheel base Golf underneath the chubby body :-) . There are a number of vacuum hoses that probably leak, and the oil breather return to the filter housing. They can carbon up the intake, but that's common to all direct injection motors. The 09G trans (which is Japanese, ironically) will generally eat a valve body at some point, but they can be replaced or "kitted". Our NZ New Touran had it's valve body done at 108Ks, and the jap import one never has to my knowledge (160kms so far), though it was imported at  about 85K, so may have had one in Japan? It's a common fault with any of the mk5 platform based cars that use them (others use 6 or 7 speed DSGs... which have potentially different issues :-) ).

I'm assuming you realise, that a REALLY boring car, with as few "goodies" as possible is going to be the "most" reliable - generally a VW or Audi is going to have more goodies, with more potential to go wrong???

We have the Tourans, because to get a jap car with the same safety rating and features spread over all 7 seats (Japs seem to ignore saftey for the back row), is generally at least 2 to 3 the price, and quite a bit newer - and even then, doesn't have as many airbags or the same road feel as a euro car (Plus... so many of then are BUTT ugly!)

If 7 K is your total, I'd make sure I had enough left for something to be serviced, or go wrong etc.

ryanhorton1973

Hi. Thanks for the replies so far. Yep I know that any of the cars I am looking at won't be speed machines! I just am after something that is comfortable / practical for daily drive to and from work. We have a dog so need a lower rear to make loading / unloading of said beast easier! Would like a few creature comforts (hence why I was looking at the S-Line A4). I am also looking a Volvo V50 and BMW 320i Tourer.
The Touran seems to the most practical due to the fact you can remove the rear seats if needed to shift furniture should I need to! Have also seen this https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1526451222. Think I will go for an FSi based car rather than anything with a turbo or turbo and supercharger.