Mechanical breakdown insurance worth it?

Started by Jaycray NZ, February 23, 2018, 09:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaycray NZ

Hi guys,

What are your opinions on mechanical breakdown insurance?

Do you have it? Is it worth it?

Just picked up an 06 R32 and contemplating if its worth the price.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Naekyr

If you're not going to be stuff that breaks the warranty like mechanical mods/tunes etc then I'd say yes it can be worth it - some parts on these cars can be quite pricey if they go

Unless someone knows if there's a company that will provide insurance to modded cars?

sfkarl

I'd generally say no because they prevent you from doing your own servicing. So with the cost of the mechanical insurance ($750+) plus the jacked up prices you'll have to pay to have your oil changed ($200+) makes it pretty expensive.

If you're planning to buy something expensive and not going to do the servicing yourself, then Yes, probably a good idea.

Or if you're buying something dodgy that you're pretty sure is going to break down expensively in the near future, Yes.

But check the fineprint, because they don't cover ANY rotary cars, or exotics, or anything over 180,000kms, and you have to pay more if it has a turbo or 4WD etc etc

Stratten

I too have been contemplating mechanical insurance. I had the flashing PRNDS once and I suspect an issue with the mechatronic unit. My questions are are all components in the gearbox/mecha covered. Is there anyway that could say it was an existing issue? Has anyone had issues with the insurance companies not paying out

thomas.dq

For me it was worth it.

I have a MK6 GTI. Used the coverage for two biggish things: water pump, and timing chain tensioner failure.
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI

dummer

Can you still buy mechanical breakdown for Mk5? I thought they have a limit of 10 or 8 years old car only

slowmo

Quote from: dummer on May 03, 2018, 05:01:17 PM
Can you still buy mechanical breakdown for Mk5? I thought they have a limit of 10 or 8 years old car only

Up to 12 years old and 175k kms on some policies so just barely eligible.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Naekyr

Quote from: dummer on May 03, 2018, 05:01:17 PM

depends on the age I guess, wasn't mk5's manufactured until 2008? so some of them may only be 10 years old now