New clutch time.

Started by The Red Warrior, February 24, 2018, 03:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Warrior

So, my mk5 GTI clutch has finally given up the ghost. Can't say I'm surprised. Just recently I have been getting a clunk on startup which I think was the dual mass flywheel dying. I was actually going to take off the starter motor today and check it for play. No point now though.
Reversing up a steep driveway with a trailer put the nail in the coffin. I'd never seen a clutch die with a big cloud of smoke before! 

I'm running stage 2+ so what are people's thoughts? Should I get a new DMF and new standard clutch, or up-rated clutch.
Maybe I should convert to single mass flywheel?
I'll hopefully squeeze in an LSD while I'm in there too. May as well right😉

Any opinions on what, where to get (locally or overseas) and what direction to take appreciated. I'll be doing all the work myself.

GLIDN

Uprating the clutch kit is recommended at this stage.

But in saying that, if you are never going to go above Stage 2+ (Stage 2HPFP). The stock clutch is fine.
Regarding LSD? I have done a few now, it's an amazing upgrade indeed. Well worth it.

Leave SMF, they are noisy, chatter something chronic. Lastly if you do go SMF then look into getting a New Fluidampr crank pulley to alleviate some of the vibration a SMF kit generates.

IF you want a LSD? shoot me message or text. Happy to discuss.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Trofeo

Agree on the smf being noisy. Certainly liveable but given the limited benefit I'd stay with the dual.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

The Red Warrior

Cheers guys.
Getting OEM Luk clutch and DMF locally and sourcing an LSD through Hennie.