Cars you regretted selling?

Started by ranton-inc, March 05, 2018, 10:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranton-inc

So after seeing my old TDI MK2 pop back up on Trademe last night

Ever since I sold it, i have Regretted it

Out of the Many cars, I have been thru over the years there are Three I ultimately regret selling...

1. Audi S2 Coupe. (ABY)
2. My MK2 TDI - https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1558573920
3. Mazda MPS

everything else i have had... well Meh.

Who else has kicked themselves for selling a Car they should have kept

Hindsight is a real C U Next Tuesday.

RobClubley

My first Audi - a 1991 90 20v Sport. I loved that car, but replaced it after it got rear-ended.
It looked okay after and I let the guy go, then realised the boot leaked and it wasn't right.
I traded it for an A4 and regretted it afterwards.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

schattenblau

1985 nz new toyota corolla gt - signed off by the great chris amon - it was a fantastic car to drive except for the weedy brakes.

don't even have a photo    :(

mangusta

Hmmm,a 1970 porsche 911s..blood orange..a 1960 porsche 356 super 90....a 78 ferrari 308 gt4 and a 82 lancia monte carlo..nz new...

McDoof

Still kinda miss my old '89 MK2 Golf Syncro sometimes. I had no idea they would end up being such a rarity back then. That said I would probably hate it now. It had no AC, no power windows and  1.8 with a Weber carb. Not fast by anyone's standards.
As for the MK2 TDi in the OP here.... Just buy it back!!
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

VW'n

An old turd of a mk3 gti that had a great motor and box.
Brought it to put the running gear in the mk2 then life got busy so I sold it..
Now I have a better work- life balance....
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

grale

Many, many regretted in hindsight...BMW E30 M3 Evo 2 (NZ new), Elva Mk1 Clubmans, 1949 Land Rover 80", Porsche 993 C4...and bikes - Laverda 750SFC electronica, Velocette Thruxton, Les Williams Triumph Legend and many more, but what can you do if you want to try something else?

80 Vert

89 mk2 16v,  and a 74 1303 with factory sunroof
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

McDoof

What about cars you regret not buying when given the opportunity?
My old boss wanted to sell me is 88 Coupe Quattro for 1000 pounds back in the UK and I turned it down because I preferred the later shape  :o
Also missed out on a '91 BMW 325i because I spent too much time thinking about it and it got sold to another guy.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

NZDoug

Quote from: mangusta on March 05, 2018, 12:03:07 PM
Hmmm,a 1970 porsche 911s..blood orange..a 1960 porsche 356 super 90....a 78 ferrari 308 gt4 and a 82 lancia monte carlo..nz new...
Bozo...
Right nut.
HEY! HO! LETS GO!

vonripsnorter

My E30 I regret selling , although it went to a private museum so not so bad

My Mk2 16V , went to the wrong home :(  ( I'm not even sure if its still around , It used to always win a prize at the VW Nationals when entered & took out the best daily driver award one year, no sadly gone

My Blue Beetle I had for 14 years & sadly sold to some one that has no idea & now ruined

& The Ascort TSV 1300 , it was the only one in NZ & Now its gone

Period_Correct_

1993 BMW M3 - It was modified and it was amazing!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

RobClubley

Follow-up question - if you got the chance to get a car back that you regret selling, would you?

Is it better to remember fondly?
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

grale

That depends to a degree on price.

Most of my old flames would be prohibitively expensive to buy back now, eg sold my NZ E30 Evo 2 for $48k (top money in the late 90s) - would need to pay 3 x that now, if it's still in the country. Sold an Alfa 105 Bertone GTV 2000 for $38k four years ago and saw it go for $70k+ on TM a couple of months back!!

I'm an old fart and if I go to Ellerslie or last weekend's Brit Euro show, realise my taste in classics hasn't changed much in 25+ years. Still love integrales, E30 M3s, quattros and the like. Would love to find a Frog Eye Sprite to replace the one I had as a kid, but probably couldn't fit into it now. Loved Series 1 80" Land Rovers when I drove them in the 60s and 70s, so bought a '49 a few years back. In modern Auckland traffic, it was the most frightening driving experience I can remember (luckily I have a Final Edition Heritage to console me).

So in my view - love them and leave them. Memories are often rose-tinted.

ranton-inc

Quote from: RobClubley on March 08, 2018, 10:40:23 AM
Follow-up question - if you got the chance to get a car back that you regret selling, would you?

Is it better to remember fondly?

S2 yes, TDI i could build another ...

RS ZWEI

Quote from: grale on March 08, 2018, 11:35:17 AM
That depends to a degree on price.

Most of my old flames would be prohibitively expensive to buy back now, eg sold my NZ E30 Evo 2 for $48k (top money in the late 90s) - would need to pay 3 x that now, if it's still in the country. Sold an Alfa 105 Bertone GTV 2000 for $38k four years ago and saw it go for $70k+ on TM a couple of months back!!

I'm an old fart and if I go to Ellerslie or last weekend's Brit Euro show, realise my taste in classics hasn't changed much in 25+ years. Still love integrales, E30 M3s, quattros and the like. Would love to find a Frog Eye Sprite to replace the one I had as a kid, but probably couldn't fit into it now. Loved Series 1 80" Land Rovers when I drove them in the 60s and 70s, so bought a '49 a few years back. In modern Auckland traffic, it was the most frightening driving experience I can remember (luckily I have a Final Edition Heritage to console me).

So in my view - love them and leave them. Memories are often rose-tinted.

Do you have photo of your old Evo 2?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

grale

I'll search the garage and see if I can dig one out. Don't have it on digital files.

Red 1988 Evo II number 233 of the 500. Had the plate EVO 233 - just checked it on CarJam and it's still around and apparently still low kms.
NZ new (tourist delivery). Converted to RHD when new.
Its twin, a dark blue evo2 lived in the Nelson region at the time.
Found it in the Saturday Herald classifieds. It was living 5 minutes walk from my home but I'd never seen it before.

brian

Lotus Elan was my biggest regret but there are others too, however (this is in answer to Rob's question) I often wonder, if we revisited these long gone cars, if they would be as satisfying now as they were then and I suspect that in most instances, the answer would be no.
Moderns have improved in so many ways that those classics we remember fondly are pretty much poor performing death traps by todays standards. (a Skoda Octavia VRS will handsomely out perform a E type Jaguar in every respect!!!!)
Best to leave the rose tinted glasses on and move on.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

the phantom

Quote from: brian on March 08, 2018, 12:33:59 PM
Lotus Elan was my biggest regret but there are others too, however (this is in answer to Rob's question) I often wonder, if we revisited these long gone cars, if they would be as satisfying now as they were then and I suspect that in most instances, the answer would be no.
Moderns have improved in so many ways that those classics we remember fondly are pretty much poor performing death traps by todays standards. (a Skoda Octavia VRS will handsomely out perform a E type Jaguar in every respect!!!!)
Best to leave the rose tinted glasses on and move on.

maybe so, but there is the question of what you would use the car for,

as an every day commuter, quite likely it would be annoying, but for high days and holidays going for a jaunt in a Model A roadster with the top down playing tunes on the crash box would be an enjoyable event

an issue with contemporary cars is that they are so uniformly good that they are easy to drive but bland, the "short comings" that we attribute as character make an older, simpler car more engaging, I don't think I've seen Chris Harris more enthusiastic than when he drove a C-Type Jag on the Mille Miglia https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chris+harris+c+type+
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

brian

The above is a relevant point but only applies to a select few in my opinion.
Would Chris Harris be waxing so lyrical over some of the C Type contempories, such as an early '50s Hillman or upright (only just) Ford Prefect ?
Throughout the years there have been some standouts that will be forever coveted but most are best forgotten and a few others bought out to be enjoyed for vintage events.
A good example of what I am getting at is many years ago a friend of mine was very keen on buying a Rover 3500 (2000 shape with the V8) as ever since they had been announced, the road tests had been very complimentary. Anyway, eventually one turned up in  a local car yard and he rushed off for a test drive and reported back that he had been hugely disappointed by the heavy feel and wooly steering and that was when they were still current.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue