Audi GT coupes - how many out there?

Started by Stano3, April 14, 2018, 12:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stano3

I?ve been a big fan of the GT coupe ver since I owned a 1986 one (manual in red!) as a young man 25 years ago - unfortunately I wasn?t able to afford the upkeep of it as a daily driver, and sold it to my everlasting regret..

Luckily I was able to find another one a few years ago in mint condition - 1986, red, manual, spent most of its easy life undercover with original 165k?s on it. Totally love i5 as a weekend driver, love the sound, and it just sings at 4,000rpm

Never selling again..

Just seeing who else has these out there - I believe there?s less than 40 left on the road in the UK!
85 Coupe GT

WRURQ

Great looking Coupe, I originally had a Zermatt Silver one that I loved driving which originally inspired me to own my RR and WR urq?s. There are a few really nice Coupe?s, Jerry in Auckland owns an immaculate Coupe.

slowburn

I have an '86 GT the odometer stopped at 439 and change. scored it $700 reg and wof'd 6 years ago. looks rough but is straight. stoked to find out it was brought new by an engine recondition guy in Otorohanga .I bought it off his son in law . it belonged to the wife of the engine guy and has been over bored with oversized pistons, ported and polished head,balanced block. I laughed when they described it as fast when they picked me up after I flew up to AK to drive it home. they weren't lying. it was fast for an older KV  powered car. it's just sitting waiting for me to put it to uses. I drive it a few times a month. goes well. needs a paint job and a colour matched rear bumper and stainless steel trim.
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

FFS

I don't have a GT Coupe anymore, have owned two of them. Our first Audi was a red GT Coupe and it ran really really well, plus sounded great. It was my wifes car. She had as much of a soft spot for them as I did. She doesn't like driving my current Audi though.

FFS

And they have all but disappeared from our roads, making them rarer. Interesting about there being only 40 left on the road in the UK. I would think there are many more.

Mike1410

There is a UK website called How many left? which pulls data of vehicles from the DVLA records. That suggests there were 36 Coupe GT and 15 Coupe GT Auto cars licensed in the UK last time the site was updated. Mind you, that depends on exactly how the vehicle is described on it's registration documents. If you simply search on Audi Coupe (without the GT) there are many more examples pop up, and even excluding the newer examples (from the model designations/engine sizes given in the results) there are still a further 60 simply described as Audi Coupe plus 82 described as Coupe quattro - which of course could be a type 85 or type 89. Plus of course the numbers do not include unlicensed examples which may be sat in peoples sheds awaiting restoration. Still, whichever way you look at it, it does seem the numbers are now getting low but then the newest of these cars are now 30 years old.

I do know the 1988 2.2 Coupe GT I sold in 2008 when I emigrated is still in use, as I found it's current owner on a Facebook page earlier this year when he posted a picture of the car and we are in regular contact.

I now have an NZ new (1982 registered built late 1981) GT5S which I bought 9 years ago from it's original owner. Pre-facelift twin square headlights model - I know that's now a rare car :)

Stano3

Gidday FFS - I think mine was owned by a woman in Wellington for a while, then ended up in Christchurch. I had been told that she loved the coupe and used to check up on it from time to time. Think it?s original rego number started with the letters ?MR22..? from memory.

Mike - I certainly remember the GT5s model that you?re talking about - I had a mate years ago with a bluey green coloured one that looked fantastic and put me on to the coupe gt?s to begin with.
85 Coupe GT

Mike1410

I had three GT's in the UK altogether (the first followed a Typ 85 80 Sport), then the one I have here. 

First was a 1983 (flat front single headlamps) white one which went to the big parking lot in the sky in 1996 due to terminal corrosion. That was followed by a late 1988 example in what I believe is called Lhasa Green? not a very common colour on the coupes but it really suited the car. That one was traded after a couple of years for my Scirocco (one of the last of the mk2's, which I still have). The last coupe was a 1988, again in white and which is the one still in use in the UK.

RobClubley

Quote from: slowburn on April 14, 2018, 07:13:02 PM
I have an '86 GT the odometer stopped at 439 and change. scored it $700 reg and wof'd 6 years ago. looks rough but is straight. stoked to find out it was brought new by an engine recondition guy in Otorohanga .I bought it off his son in law . it belonged to the wife of the engine guy and has been over bored with oversized pistons, ported and polished head,balanced block. I laughed when they described it as fast when they picked me up after I flew up to AK to drive it home. they weren't lying. it was fast for an older KV  powered car. it's just sitting waiting for me to put it to uses. I drive it a few times a month. goes well. needs a paint job and a colour matched rear bumper and stainless steel trim.

I have most of the front stainless trim in my garage, missing the left side as the car I stripped was damaged at that side.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

WRURQ

Rob do you have a good Coupe rear reflector strip by chance ?

slowburn

I need the rear trim unfortunately...as a side notes got a wof for cq >:D
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Quote from: RRURQ on April 17, 2018, 05:17:09 PM
Rob do you have a good Coupe rear reflector strip by chance ?

I have one that's kinda sun-faded and has a couple of cracks near the number plate lights. Looks like they often crack in those spots.

Quote from: slowburn on April 17, 2018, 10:18:09 PM
I need the rear trim unfortunately...as a side notes got a wof for cq >:D

Don't have the rear, sorry. Good news on the CQ.
1985 ur quattro

coupecostas

Hiya, I just bought an 1986 GT Coupe on Trademe. Really pleased to own this car, I've been wanting one for ages. I have relocated it from AK to Whanganui, it's the only one in town as far as I know. I am looking for a rear left hand tail light (smoked), and a right hand electric window motor/regulator if anybody has these parts!

RobClubley

Great colour, looks in decent condition.
1985 ur quattro

edgenbk

Quote from: Stano3 on April 14, 2018, 12:53:24 PM
I?ve been a big fan of the GT coupe ver since I owned a 1986 one (manual in red!) as a young man 25 years ago - unfortunately I wasn?t able to afford the upkeep of it as a daily driver, and sold it to my everlasting regret..

Luckily I was able to find another one a few years ago in mint condition - 1986, red, manual, spent most of its easy life undercover with original 165k?s on it. Totally love i5 as a weekend driver, love the sound, and it just sings at 4,000rpm

Never selling again..

Just seeing who else has these out there - I believe there?s less than 40 left on the road in the UK!

I'm hugely jealous right now. I had a pre-purchase inspection done on this very car back in 2012 - was very very very close to purchasing it - but couldn't quite afford the asking price considering I was already stretching and needed to bring it back from ChCh. Glad to see it's being loved up here in Auckland.

I still regret not buying it. If you ever change your mind about selling - let me know  :'(