Golf Mk5 1.4 TSI engine problem

Started by Grape, May 10, 2018, 08:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grape

Hi All. My 2008 MK5 golf 1.4tsi supercharged has developed issue. On idle and early aceleration it is missing and engine light flashes orange on and off and then higher in the revs or on motorway it is fine. Had it diaognosed and told it is likely it is piston or ring issue.  All spark plugs checked ok, coils fine and even injectors were swapped around to see if making any difference. Seems compression slightly lower on cyclinder 4. So likely fault piston or ring. Without pulling engine down I guess I won?t know. Long shot could be stuck or caked up valve.   I can?t see it is worth spending the money on stripping on a car not worth much more than $6k.  Anyone know someone who would be interested in either repairing this? Or have any idea what you could possible change out pistons and rings for in dollar terms?  If anyone out there is interested in purchasing a project let me know. Cheers

Naekyr

what octane petrol have you been using out of interest? I've heard these engines have issues with anything lower than 98

it's like every couple months we have a new thread about this issue on the 1.4 TSI engine

worst case you need a new engine

Grape

95 used as per manual.  It?s a NZ new model. But who knows what previous owners have used.  Yes I see the 1.4 has a bad name.  If only I had been on this forum before I purchased  :(

The Red Warrior

Hmmm, where abouts in the country are you?
There was another member here about a year ago who was getting the same type of car fixed for the same problem out west Auckland. Bethells beach area perhaps?
I'll have a nosey for the link. (It doesn't end well though)

The Red Warrior

Grape

Auckland, north shore.  What is strange is car drives fine on the motorway. Was considering whether valves could be caked up since it is direct injection and not seating properly.   Going to run some valve cleaner thru it a few times and drive on motorway and see if there is any change. Worth a shot.
Just purchased new car now so need to either fix this economically or sell it as is to someone with the expertise to sort this out. 

Worms

That's pretty standard for the TSI meltdown issue - once it starts running bad all the time, it's quite possibly not salvagable!

Used engines aren't always easy to come by... though this might help...

http://www.manheim.co.nz/damaged-vehicles/000000000005249743/2008-volkswagen-golf-hatch

Grape

Thanks Worms. Will keep that in mind if I cannot sell car to someone as is. Damn those 1.4 engines. So good when they actually work.

Naekyr

And make sure you run 98, as you will notice if you search around the forums or google 1.4 TSI, even though the manual says use 95 it's actually wrong - with the stock tune the engine needs 98 to avoid knock (but these engines fail well outside of warranty so VW doesn't care)

Actually there was a recall called service campaign in Australia

VW's solution was to map a new tune to the car

Maybe you can try going to a dealer try to see if they feel generous and give you some discount on fixing it

But yeah - here is some grim reading: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/golf-118-tsi-engine-failures-service-campaign-24s4-44540.html

Always good to do as much research as you can prior to a car purchase :(

spooln

It won engine of fhs year when launched but struggled on the fuel down here and is well known for its issues. Shame cos it had good promise being good power and economy combo.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

mervin213

Give motorworks group a call mate http://www.motorworksgroup.co.nz/ 09-476 1270

Ask for Paul he has worked on a few of these this year. Should be able to let you know if it is worth fixing or the approx cost for it to fix.

I use 98 in mine as well haven't had issues until this employee at BP in New Lynn filled 91 by accident and it caused me a few issues but had it sorted under mechanical warranty.

Never had issues using 98 mine is an 07 model