TDi running cold

Started by RGolf, April 27, 2018, 05:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGolf

Hey tech folk,

I have a 2012 Passat TDi and since it?s recent annual service (vw dealer) it has started running cold, circa 65c or around the quarter mark on gauge.

Have had heard this is often more likely the DSG thermostat than coolent, anyone have any experience here?

Thanks heaps

Gordo

That would normally be a faulty coolant thermostat - is the heater putting out less heat than normal?
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

The Red Warrior

Also, does the temperature slowly rise if you?re sitting in traffic (or just parked up with the engine running) and then drop again when moving again? Especially moving at motorway speeds?

Alfashark

Quote from: RGolf on April 27, 2018, 05:27:17 PM
Hey tech folk,

I have a 2012 Passat TDi and since it?s recent annual service (vw dealer) it has started running cold, circa 65c or around the quarter mark on gauge.

Have had heard this is often more likely the DSG thermostat than coolent, anyone have any experience here?

Thanks heaps

Plenty of threads on the Briskoda forum of TDI owners having this issue and 9/10 times it is indeed the thermostat in the DSG coolant circuit.
Oddly enough, most of the dealership spanner monkeys aren't even aware there is such a thing...
'14 Octavia RS TDI
'06 Fabia VRS
'93 CitiGolf 1.6