Bought yet another old Audi, this time a S3 8L

Started by nzgti8v, April 29, 2018, 12:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzgti8v

I recently bought this old S3, 2001 with AMK engine, so just the 210hp model.

It seems to be original with no mods, the dipstick tube crumbled when I tried to check the oil, so I replaced that along with the dipstick (end was broken off) the Goal is to end up with around 300hp, as i'm not interested in upgrading the rods at this stage. km's at 197,000, has full service history from new, but was neglected in the last 25,000k I suspect.

I put an engine flush through it and changed the oil as soon as I got it. Next up is the thermostat, its stuck open, so open road driving means the car doesn't wam up. performance is somewhat average currently and I did get a P0011 error the other day.

770118831 by Charles Buchanan,

770118258 by Charles Buchanan,

770116874 by Charles Buchanan,

Trofeo

Probably just the temp sensor rather than thermostat. Common failure on these.

Downpipe, cat remove, exhaust, and remap should get you close to 300.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

GLIDN

wanting 300hp on an AMK is a tall ask indeed.

You'll be closer to 260-270hp at most. With these engines getting up in mileage. They can start failing, with more and more power being added.
shoot me a message if you'd like to know more.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Worms

FYI: Photobucket = dead.

Maybe you missed the memo?  ;)

Can't see your pics  :( Try Flikr.

nzgti8v

Quote from: Worms on May 08, 2018, 06:24:03 AM
FYI: Photobucket = dead.

Maybe you missed the memo?  ;)

Can't see your pics  :( Try Flikr.

Thanks, problem sorted :)

nzgti8v

Quote from: Trofeo on April 29, 2018, 09:48:40 PM
Probably just the temp sensor rather than thermostat. Common failure on these.

Downpipe, cat remove, exhaust, and remap should get you close to 300.

Turned out the Temp sensor was fine and have paperwork with the car, shows it was replaced in 2013.
It was indeed the thermostat.

Have also removed the sump and cleaned the oil pickup, it was about 50% blocked.
Replacing about 80% of the vacuum hoses, getting it all running 100% before the mods begin.

nzgti8v

Quote from: GLIDN on May 07, 2018, 11:08:46 AM
wanting 300hp on an AMK is a tall ask indeed.

You'll be closer to 260-270hp at most. With these engines getting up in mileage. They can start failing, with more and more power being added.
shoot me a message if you'd like to know more.

Hi Hennie.

I am going to install a front mount intercooler, (finding a kit with decent diameter piping, rather than smaller than factory).
3 Inch Down Pipe, removing the turbo to get it rebuilt as a Hybrid with RS6 wheel or similar.

I am of course limited, mostly by the stock rods, i read that more than 300 FT-LB of torque is good for bending them and as the car ages this becomes more likely, metal fatigue etc.

I will also need some kind of tune, which is somewhat limited here in Christchurch, but I'm sure you have some good options for me :)

Other things will need improving too, handling, brakes, engine mounts, etc.. I don't mind spending a bit on it, I wanted one of these cars a long time ago, now I have one to play with finally.

le mans

A nice clean looking car. I look toward to seeing how you progress with it.

Trofeo

Pretty sure you need to cut the crash bar to fit a front mount, or at least a decent sized one. Could make it tricky to get a cert/wof. Suggest you check into it before committing. If you're upgrading suspension as well, then you'll need a cert anyway so have a chat to a local lvv certifier.

Putting in a large aftermarket rear sway bar will almost eliminate understeer on these.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Worms

Quote from: nzgti8v on May 12, 2018, 10:26:02 PM
Thanks, problem sorted :)

YAY!

It looks freakin awesome! They're a nice looking car, still (in S3 trim anyway!).

nzgti8v

Ok..
So the car has now had a "BIG" Service.

The total cost for this was astronomical considering the value of the car.
In hindsight I should have done it all myself, but hindsight is good like that..

I have all the old parts that were removed, they were indeed all completely worn out, big holes, cracks etc in all the tubes and pipes etc.

I was expecting the bill to be about 1/2 what it was, so I guess it was about right.

page1 by Charles Buchanan, on Flickr

page2 by Charles Buchanan, on Flickr

I also Replaced the factory concert head unit, the volume control was faulty and would often go louder when you tried to turn it down.
Nothing flash, but has triple RCA Outs at 4 volt, time alignment, crossover etc settings.

32887310_10216518806182112_1233883222979379200_n by Charles Buchanan, on Flickr