Questions regarding MK6R Stage 2+ tune

Started by bibbidybop, May 04, 2018, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibbidybop

Hi Guys,

I have a few questions around getting a 2011 MK6R tuned to Stage 2+ levels.

I have the following mods installed on the car:

Integrated Engineering FDS Intercooler
Integrated Engineering HPFP
Unitronic CAI
Milltek Downpipe and cat-back exhaust
CTS Turbo FSI/Golf R Throttle Pipe

Do I need any additional parts to accommodate for this level of tune? I read somewhere that a RS4 fuel pressure release valve is also required?

Has anyone else gotten a Stage 2/2+ tune done here in NZ with dyno runs or have any recommendations?

I have actually been to a couple of tuners already but they didn't really work out.

The first tuners remap got 236kw and 450nm of torque on all wheels on a dynapack dyno on 4th gear pulls (stock runs with list of mods 172kw and 330nm torque) so the numbers looked good but it was running lean (up to .925 lambda) between 4.5-6k rpm which is not good. They tried correcting it with another map file but fuel was pretty much the same just lower powere and torque output. They were willing try fix the map but the problem was I had to hire another shops dyno and pay for the dyno runs.

The second tuners remap I believe only gave me a stage 1 tune. The torque curve was terrible and only made 30nm torque, they insisted it should be 100nm torque gain and there was nothing wrong with their remap and it was something to do with my car. I also had to pay for the dyno runs for this tuner. They didn't really have any suggestions and even asked for me to strip my parts out and put in stock to see what would happen..

Long story short, so far I haven't had luck with tuning my car.

Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers!

The Red Warrior

Why not just a generic map from APR or Unitronic. They can pretty much just tick the boxes for the mods you have and then upload the corresponding map.
Hennie (username GLIDN on here) is the NZ Unitronic agent. You could PM him on here or find him on the NZ Unitronic Facebook page.

I'm guessing you're in Auckland?

Naekyr

Some people like doing a dyno tune so they can push out every little drop of power

GLIDN

this is a bunch of questions I receive daily.

Firstly, talk to the tuner you want to go with and get this correct information form them, first and foremost.
Reading international forums are great. However many of the times. Some of the hardware you asked about?
Would provide no benefit if the software has not been specifically tuned within the software.

As you advised 173kw and 236kw. Your vehicle was either dyno'd in FWD mode or it was an extremely happy dyno.
It could be that as few parameters are pushed beyond their "normal" usage limits.

If your engine has not yet been carbon cleaned? I would put your power around 195kw (poor tune or Stage 1).
With all your mods and tuning to stage 2HPFP, you would be around the 205-208kw @ 4 wheels. Again carbon build up depending.

Your lambda is far too lean in the upper range. Really need to see what's going on to better understand on what's going on and how to fix it. 

In short, if you would like your car done and working as intended? By all means as "The Red Warrior" advised.
Send me a message and we can start the discussion in what's going, what you would like to achieve and most importantly knowing what's going on in your car at present.

Once we understand the basics of your car? We can then work towards your intended goals.

I use to provide APR including their support for many, many years. I have since left and providing Unitronic and custom tuning.
Happy to take you out in my mk6r. So you can understand the differences and support level provided.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

bibbidybop

Thanks for the replies.

All dyno runs were on a dynapack hub dyno, they connected to all four wheel hubs for every run. I did read somewhere that they can read 8-10% higher than running road dynos though. Was used to gauge the differences and test AFR. Definitely a mistake to not get it dyno tuned in the first place.

The first tuners tune is long gone since it was running lean. I still have the second tuners tune but looking at getting it reverted back to stock since I really don't like the tune and it is not doing what they stated.

The cars currently at around 86000km. I have no idea if it has been carbon cleaned before I purchased it but I haven't had it carbon cleaned since I've owned it at 73000km. How much would it improve the car if it hasn't been cleaned at all?

Would be great to have an opportunity to experience the tune in your mk6r but I am based in Wellington, I assume you're in AKL so it's not really practical.

Have you tracked or taken it on 1/4 mile?

GLIDN

I'm able to easily revert the vehicle back to stock if required.

Dyno tuning is not the be all and end all. This I'm able to show on multiple cars.
Just because someone has a dyno? Does not indicate they know how to tune any cars or specific cars.

These MED9 ECU's are extremely capable and also have the ability to log so much information, it's really scary how much information can be taken from these cars.

Regarding carbon clean? The worse I have seen has been on a Pirelli edition (essentially the same engine as your R, different engine code however).
At 60,000kms was one of the worst carbon build ups I have seen yet.

I have tune many cars down in wellington. So I'm easily able to organise for you to have a talk to any of those owners? Only If you wanted that is.

I am in Akl. I have however built many, many golf R's. Even retuned more than I hoped I would have to.
Built Big turbo MK6R, big Turbo A4 TFSI also.

80 Vert

Since you are in Wellington contact Alister at Superior tuning. I'm extremely happy with their software.
I can offer you Eurodyne out of Canada but I'm also in Auckland unfortunately.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Tri

Quote from: GLIDN on May 08, 2018, 04:20:52 PM

Regarding carbon clean? The worse I have seen has been on a Pirelli edition (essentially the same engine as your R, different engine code however).
At 60,000kms was one of the worst carbon build ups I have seen yet.

I only have 1 car for daily commute :) How long does it take and what would be the rough cost, GLIDN?  I am quite keen to get my car cleaned.

GLIDN

Quote from: Tri on May 16, 2018, 04:09:45 PM
I only have 1 car for daily commute :) How long does it take and what would be the rough cost, GLIDN?  I am quite keen to get my car cleaned.

Please send me a message. I?ll be more than happy to asssit at that point.