How do you get a WOF when you have catless exhaust? Polo GTI

Started by VWPolo6R, May 06, 2018, 05:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VWPolo6R

Hi all,

I have recently had work done to my 2014 Mk5 (6R) GTI Polo 1.4. Features are a Milltek Sport catless downpipe & center resonater delete kit on to the stock rear exhaust giving it a tasty snarl on the boost, modified intake, stage 2 tune and Vmaxx lowering springs.

Super happy with the work. Thrilled with the sound and results. However - while floating to my Dad he sagely (and annoyingly) told me I?m now going to fail WOFs. A cursory Google search suggests this to be the case technically since the car was registered in NZ after 2010.

But I?m not the first driver in NZ to have their car modded this way. So how are they passing WOFs? Do I genuinely have anything to worry about?
2014 Mk5 6R GTI POLO
Stage 2 tuned with custom intake and Miltek exhaust
Lowered on Vmaxx springs

Trofeo

Yes it is illegal to run your car like that, however whether they pick up on it being removed is debatable. Plenty of high flow cats available if you need to add it back in. More $$$ unfortunately.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

VWPolo6R

Like I say, there?s no way I?m the first running a setup like this. So considering when you get your WOF done there?s no emissions test conducted, what is the likelihood of the VTNZ guys being enough of a VW enthusiast to know that my particular model should have a cat? Is it even obvious underneath? Like is that what they?re looking for or are they only suspicious if a check engine light is present?
2014 Mk5 6R GTI POLO
Lowered on Vmaxx springs

schattenblau

likelihood of getting spotted - very low.

but ... the car being illegal may also affect your insurance.

>:D

Trofeo

All cars have cats and have done for many many years (1970s in the US, late 1980s Japan and 90s in Europe), so if it's on their check list then they'll spot it.

Be interested to hear if anyone has ever been pinged for it. Ten years ago none of my cars had them, but it wasn't mandatory then.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

VWPolo6R

Quote from: schattenblau on May 06, 2018, 10:57:12 AM
likelihood of getting spotted - very low.

but ... the car being illegal may also affect your insurance.

>:D

When I called before having the work done and said what I was getting done, they weren?t even interested. They said if it went beyond stage 2 then they had a separate department that would handle me. But otherwise they just wanted me to let them know the value increase to the car so they could increase the premium a few dollars a month and that was that. I was surprised.
2014 Mk5 6R GTI POLO
Lowered on Vmaxx springs

LouieP

I always asked at many different WOF places over the past few years regarding CAT deletes and they all said it would not be a problem unless the CEL was on because of it. Pretty sure everyone on VASK FB runs catless downpipes and no ones ever brought up the issue of a failed WOF because of it  :police:

Plus i bet you make nice farty sounds now too :angel:
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

VWPolo6R

Quote from: LouieP on May 06, 2018, 12:01:27 PM

Plus i bet you make nice farty sounds now too :angel:

You would be correct  8)

Super deep sigh of relief to see your post. Thanks!
2014 Mk5 6R GTI POLO
Lowered on Vmaxx springs

McDoof

Technically, to be fully road legal, you should have your emission control systems in place. I have however never heard of anyone getting pulled up on a cat delete at WOF time. As you running stage 2, you should also have the vehicle certed as it will most likely be making more than 20% more power. But again, I have never heard of anyone actually doing that or getting pinged for it.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

Quote from: McDoof on May 07, 2018, 10:25:28 AM
Technically, to be fully road legal, you should have your emission control systems in place. I have however never heard of anyone getting pulled up on a cat delete at WOF time. As you running stage 2, you should also have the vehicle certed as it will most likely be making more than 20% more power. But again, I have never heard of anyone actually doing that or getting pinged for it.

the 1.4 polo does not increase enough performance to warrant 20% increase
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

McDoof

Fair enough. I figured most turbo cars would get a decent power increase from stage 2.  Just basing that on the power increase on the stage 1 on my Golf.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

The Red Warrior

Quote from: VWPolo6R on May 06, 2018, 11:55:28 AM
When I called before having the work done and said what I was getting done, they weren?t even interested. They said if it went beyond stage 2 then they had a separate department that would handle me. But otherwise they just wanted me to let them know the value increase to the car so they could increase the premium a few dollars a month and that was that. I was surprised.

What insurance company are you with as this sounds quite reasonable of them?

VWPolo6R

Quote from: GLIDN on May 07, 2018, 10:47:22 AM
the 1.4 polo does not increase enough performance to warrant 20% increase

Wayyyyyyy wrong. It?s a night and day difference.
2014 Mk5 6R GTI POLO
Lowered on Vmaxx springs

VWPolo6R

Quote from: The Red Warrior on May 07, 2018, 12:52:41 PM
What insurance company are you with as this sounds quite reasonable of them?

Lantern (or whatever NZI are masquerading as these days lol)
2014 Mk5 6R GTI POLO
Lowered on Vmaxx springs

GLIDN

Quote from: VWPolo6R on May 08, 2018, 05:01:34 AM
Wayyyyyyy wrong. ItÂ’s a night and day difference.

Never said it's not a night and say difference.

At stage 2 on the polo GTI 1.4. Increase power from 132kw to 155kw + 60nm increase.
In HP ratings?
Stock    - 180hp / 250Mn
Stage 2 - 225Hp / 310nm (have seen as high has 325Nm torque)
Which warrants a 17.3% increase.

I'm more than happy to log your car while you are driving. I'll be able to advise exactly what power increase as what RPM have achieved.
If there is too much knock and most importantly fuel pressure is good and no boost leaks are present either.

This is simply an offer only.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

McDoof

It wasn't very long ago that you could barely get 155kw out of a 5l V8.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

VWPolo6R

Quote from: GLIDN on May 09, 2018, 10:36:12 AM
Never said it's not a night and say difference.

At stage 2 on the polo GTI 1.4. Increase power from 132kw to 155kw + 60nm increase.
In HP ratings?
Stock    - 180hp / 250Mn
Stage 2 - 225Hp / 310nm (have seen as high has 325Nm torque)
Which warrants a 17.3% increase.

I'm more than happy to log your car while you are driving. I'll be able to advise exactly what power increase as what RPM have achieved.
If there is too much knock and most importantly fuel pressure is good and no boost leaks are present either.

This is simply an offer only.

Definitely keen to talk about this. The tune was done by NZ Performance Tuning, it that means anything to you.
2014 Mk5 6R GTI POLO
Lowered on Vmaxx springs