Future TT Newbie Here with Questions

Started by benckj, May 10, 2018, 08:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benckj

Coming from a long line up of Toyota MR2's I've caught the German bug and decided to dive into a TT.  Researching a few details between models now and working on taking for test drives to figure out what is the most suitable. 

Basically, my wife and I would like to replace our 96 MR2 with another shopping basket that is safe, reliable & fun to dive. Have narrowed down to either a 2004 TT with either a 1.8 turbo, 3.2NA or a 2006 with a 3.2l.  Really want all the bells and whistles such as leather, good stereo, performance and cornering ability.

Now for the questions;

1/ In plain terms describe the main differences between the gen 1 and 2 models?
2/ Is 'S-Line' models worth more $$ & why?
3/ Quattro or No Quattro is the question?
4/ Being 6'4" tall will I comfortably fit?

My apologies if some of this info has been covered before. I have just joined the forum with the intent of finding info required.  I am an active member (Moderator) on other car forums so understand the valuable resource they can be.

Thanks,

Jim
2004-Audi TT 3.2l Quattro
Mods underway!

schattenblau

Welcome to vask.

:D

1/ gen 1 was based on the old golf 4 chassis, very early TTs had dodgy aero at autobahn speeds.
gen 2 was based on the more competent golf 5 platform - much better handling.
better aesthetics too, gen 2 looks sportier, less like a fluid shaped turd.

2/ s-line was a cosmetic pack with sport chassis (?)
nice to have.

3/ tt quattro is via haldex, the car runs more or less in fwd until the front loses traction.
amongst various motoring rotters and tt pundits the sweetspot is the plain fwd gen 2 tt with 2.0 litre turbo.
a very nice car but may not satify yout urge for bells and whistles.

4/ they are compact cars so may be a bit tight for headroom, in which case they do make convertible versions  :)

Which one to pick ?
I'd avoid the v6s, they are nose heavy, understeery things.
A gen2 TT S 2.0 turbo or the nutso TT RS.

Some reading for you

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/audi-tt-used-review-1999-2015-33839

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/tt/86655/used-audi-tt-review

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/used-car-buying-guides/audi-tt

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/154291/used-audi-tt-buying-guide-2006-2015-mk2

benckj

Thank you for that information. I had some similar versions of TT reviews but was not clear on the differences and associated problems between models. I had read about the 2.0 TFSI engines oil usage that steered me away from that model.

I must say I am leaning toward the 3.2l NA as they are most common here, have loads of options and generally have the 4wd Quattro available. Understeer may certainly be a problem especially coming from driving the mid-engine MR2.

jim
Mods underway!

benckj

Test drove a gen 1 with the 1.8l turbo yesterday. It was a well maintained nice car and I was impressed with its interior room and road performance. My wife certainly liked it although we both agreed to test drive a 3.2 when we find one close by. If we decide to go with the gen 1 I?d probably tinker with the boost a bit to get a few more ponies at top end. Interior may also need a few mods as the plastic door panels and trim was a turn off. I?ll wait until I can sit into the higher spec versions before making any decisions.
Mods underway!

nzgti8v

If going for a 1.8T I suggest getting the 225hp Model with the BAM engine, then you will get the better 6 speed manual gearbox and Haldex AWD.
I have a 3.2 A3 and 1.8T S3, very different engines, the 3.2 has instant off the line torque and makes a good noise, the 1.8T takes a bit to get going, but the lag is minimal really.

benckj

I?ve read about the 225hp version but yet to locate one. Believe they are also 4wd which is a bonus as I live down South and drive mountain roads. Do you know of any available?
Mods underway!

benckj

Think I found one but has a few km's on the clock and not exactly convenient for me to test drive. From what I found out the visual check is having a 1.8l Quattro and dual exhaust out back to signify a BAM. Pic below,

Mods underway!

benckj

Good to hear from you Heylin with excellent advise.  Still looking for the right car so keep the comments coming. Gong to drive a 2013 MK2 tomorrow although its out of my price range x 2. Might take the plunge and import from Japan like I've done with my MR2's. This is one I'm considering;

2011- 2.0TFSI- Quattro
Interior is pretty crazy with red leather!
Mods underway!

benckj

Looks like the black car shown above has structural damage so would be a compliance nightmare.  Still have my auction agent looking into it and will advise on damage as well as projected cost to purchase. Going to test drive a 2013 TT today to see how we like.

Jim
Mods underway!

benckj

Went to town yesterday to test drive a few different models with my wife. While the Mk2?s were very nice I couldn?t justify the extra costs especially with no 4wd available with models tested. Pretty much decided on a Mk1 3.2l Quattro with very low kms. They are nice cars and the size & shape suit being a daily driver for my wife. Still have to finalise deal but most likely pick up in next couple weeks.
Mods underway!

heylinb4nz

Quote from: benckj on May 17, 2018, 10:04:58 PM
Went to town yesterday to test drive a few different models with my wife. While the Mk2?s were very nice I couldn?t justify the extra costs especially with no 4wd available with models tested. Pretty much decided on a Mk1 3.2l Quattro with very low kms. They are nice cars and the size & shape suit being a daily driver for my wife. Still have to finalise deal but most likely pick up in next couple weeks.

Great choice J, definitely worth getting quattro, as nice as the MK2 is, the quattro makes all the difference, and you'll love the 3.2 !!!. Highly recommend the Tampa mode if  you have a spare $300 and know a good exhaust shop....the VR6 engine sounds sooo nice with it.

RE: initial servicing, unless you have proof via service records make sure you get a DSG filter and fluid change plus Haldex fluid change as well...good insurance against failure...

benckj

Thanks for that Heylin.

Well I've pulled the trigger and handed over the $$$. I'm comfortable with condition after speaking to Archibalds today that all service work is done with no codes and Car Dealer said he would cover any major problems that occur over 6 month period.  Wife will pick-up in a couple of weeks and spend a few days in Christchurch visiting relatives and getting some cosmetic work done on car (roof wrap). No mechanical mods just yet as last thing I want is her to beat me in a drag race against my MR2!

Provided we like this TT I will shop around for a Mk2 version in the next couple of years. Might import one myself if a decent opportunity comes along. Simply want to learn about this new toy and all of its features.
Mods underway!

benckj

Mods underway!

benckj

Mods underway!

heylinb4nz

Naff website, but has some good resources.

http://www.wak-tt.com/

I personally find the UK TT Forum highly helpful.

If you must do one mod to the 3.2 it has to be this one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCAmvC-Wpjw for this sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-uaVJJMGag

And when you get your Mk2....welll https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3waV6r8n5wg

benckj

Good info there, thanks Heylin. Got to love that v6 burble. Might have to just give that easy mod a go. Can you tell me how that flapper valve normally operates?  Is it controlled by open throttle or does ECU have its way?
Mods underway!

heylinb4nz

Quote from: benckj on May 22, 2018, 09:09:42 PM
Good info there, thanks Heylin. Got to love that v6 burble. Might have to just give that easy mod a go. Can you tell me how that flapper valve normally operates?  Is it controlled by open throttle or does ECU have its way?

Mk2 doesn't have one but I believe it's vacuum operated, bit like TVIS system in MR2, simply bung it up to stop the valve closing under vacuum.

benckj

Just arranged flights for my wife to pick-up car and then get it partially wrapped. She is very excited on choosing what to do wit the roof and possibly door stripe when she meets the graphic artist doing the work. I figure its her car so let the imagination run wild as can always be removed.

Called up to get insurance cover and Swann gave me a price of $208/yr for full cover which was awesome. This is based on a market valuation of $12,500.  Couldn't be easier. 
Mods underway!

heylinb4nz

Quote from: benckj on May 23, 2018, 01:00:02 PM
Just arranged flights for my wife to pick-up car and then get it partially wrapped. She is very excited on choosing what to do wit the roof and possibly door stripe when she meets the graphic artist doing the work. I figure its her car so let the imagination run wild as can always be removed.

Called up to get insurance cover and Swann gave me a price of $208/yr for full cover which was awesome. This is based on a market valuation of $12,500.  Couldn't be easier.

$208 thats pretty cheap, I think I pay $480 for $19,000 on the mk2.