Door seals creak on Mk6 GTi, how stiff is the body?

Started by Chchgti35, May 10, 2018, 09:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chchgti35

I am very surprised at the amount  of body flex on my GTi over uneven surfaces i.e. entering driveway or driving on grass. The door seals are very creaky, the car only has 76,000kms on it. Is this a normal mk6 thing?

Naekyr

lol mine does the same - 2011 with 50,000km on the clock - creaks like heck as you saw coming in and out of driveways

GLIDN

so you both have the bottom flex plates under the car around the centre tunnel?

If they have been removed? This will occur more often as you described.
I you would like to rectify this issue? You can get under body bracing to overcome this issue.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Naekyr

Mine have not been removed, those plates are still there

schattenblau

interesting...

the mk6 went on a cost cutting exercise to reduce production time/costs compared to a mk5.

maybe the bean counters cut out too much ?

my mk5 bodywork is solid as a rock over driveways, grass etc. not a squeak.

unlike the interior plastics which are fine on tarmac but can get buzzy on loose chip.

Naekyr

It doesn't annoy me too much - it only happens in my driveway because my driveway is steep where it meets the road and it also happens driving up/down ramps in car parks

Mine doesn't creak just driving on the road - but I do get the occasional rattle from the plastics when the road surface degrades

My driveway is reason I haven't lowered my gti, the bumper may hit the road due to the steepness of the driveway

McDoof

My MK5 does this on my driveway and doesn't creak or squeak.

Yes that wheel is in the air
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

The Red Warrior

VW dealers actually have (well, they may have to order it in) a spray for spraying on the door seals to stop to creak/squeak. Can't remember the name of it but I think it is something designed by NASA that they use.

Chchgti35

Quote from: GLIDN on May 11, 2018, 09:25:41 AM
so you both have the bottom flex plates under the car around the centre tunnel?

If they have been removed? This will occur more often as you described.
I you would like to rectify this issue? You can get under body bracing to overcome this issue.
Thanks, it is going into dealer soon for first service since purchase, will ask them about this. They may hopefully throw in a can of spray under the factory warranty but I doubt it.

Naekyr

goodluck :)

My first service after purchase was done by the dealer too - when I asked about the rattling plastics I got told "ah that's normal and within tolerance"..

Chchgti35

Quote from: Naekyr on May 12, 2018, 08:56:18 AM
goodluck :)

My first service after purchase was done by the dealer too - when I asked about the rattling plastics I got told "ah that's normal and within tolerance"..
Within whose tolerance ? He doesn?t have to drive it.....

slowmo

I put a big f*ck off exhaust on my MK6 so I never hear the creaks and rattling. Might be the best solution?

Seriously, you sure its the door seals? Might be the suspension? I'll go have a listen now when I drive mine and report back.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Naekyr

Quote from: slowmo on May 13, 2018, 12:43:08 PM
I put a big f*ck off exhaust on my MK6 so I never hear the creaks and rattling. Might be the best solution?

Seriously, you sure its the door seals? Might be the suspension? I'll go have a listen now when I drive mine and report back.

ha, the benefit of a nice big as decat downpipe and a aftermarket dogbone mount - so much in cabin vibration and extra noise it blocks out a bunch of other little thins you heard before

I run a aftermarket infortainment screen - the volume dial goes from 0 to 20 - with the stock setup I could clearly listen to the radio on level 2, after the exhaust I have to have it on level 5 or 6 because of the extra noise - even just for slow cruising or stuck in traffic

GLIDN

are you sure it's the body creaking, not just the typical subframe creak instead?

Which can be resolved by using a subframe locking collar kit?
Would need to experience it or get more information from each person to be able to better assist/advise the course of action to reduce or eliminate.

80 Vert

No need for an expensive collar kit. VW have lock washers available for $6 each. 2 needed.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

GLIDN

Quote from: 80 Vert on May 15, 2018, 03:48:30 PM
No need for an expensive collar kit. VW have lock washers available for $6 each. 2 needed.

I had this setup on my NZ new car, it did not last too long I?m afraid.
Oddly my Jap import still has not creak or subframe issues.

The collar kit I refer to not only does it centre the subframe, it also centres the subframe uppers attached to the chassis legs.

It?s made the front end of the mk5/6 platform so much more planted and accurate.
It?s crazy to see such a little mod make such a huge improvement.