Passat V5 - 18256 -Please check DTC Memory of Engine Controller - P1848

Started by Pristle, February 16, 2019, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

After the painful saga of the motor swap, she was behaving well, if not a little thirstier.

Until Thursday arvo that is. After taking the Princes St exit from the southern motorway (Otahuhu, Auckland), the temp warning light came on with a 'check coolant' warning. Temp gauge sitting rock solid on 90?. I pulled into the Z station 50m away. Switched off and check the expansion tank. Coolant level was normal by sight, but coolant was boiling through the cap.

After letting her cool for a bit I took cap off only to find two things, a broken o-ring seal and oily sludge. (something I was dreading as there'd been an issue at the shop and the wrong coolant went in). Checked the oil, clean as a whistle. No caramel. I retopped the expansion tank, warning went away and I drove home slowly. An hour later when I was going to pick up my wife the alert came back.

Flash forward to Friday, I drained the system, then flushed it through with Simple Green and a branded coolant flush. Put the right coolant in, replaced the cap. (no one seems to sell the o-ring in Auckland).

I do know that while checking for any coolant leaks I removed the intake hose between MAF and throttle body, unplugging throttle motor. After taking a phone call, I absentmindedly started the car to test for the coolant warning. When I saw that I'd overlooked refitting the hose and plugging the throttle motor in, I switched off and made the amends.

However I now have the EPC and a yellow triangle/exclamation lights coming up. The diags suggest 18256 -Please check DTC Memory of Engine Controller - P1848.

I understand this could be cleared using VCDS, is this correct? If so, can I borrow it from someone? I have the Lite version and it doesn't seem to be an option for me.

80 Vert

Oil in coolant points to water / oil heat exchanger. Very common to get oil in coolant yet not the other way round.
I've found removing it and pressure testing in a bucket of water the best way to test.
Re fault code yip just clear it vcds
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration