Reccomendations/justification

Started by D4EM0N, May 17, 2018, 07:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D4EM0N

Hey

First post as I don't actually own an Audi yet. I sold my last one but in two months I'm changing jobs and going to buy another Audi as I loved the old one, but had to sell it.

My choice of car is either a 2007-10 RS4 or S5 not sportback. I prefer the styling of the S5 over the RS4 but I was wondering if members were given the choice which would they choose and why? 

Eventually I will get a RS5 but cant afford it at the mow.

Churs

mangusta

If you want a rs5,why not just get a polo,and keep saving for the car you want.Even when you get your rs5,you wont have to use it as an every day car exposed  to the dreaded......car park door ding!..the polo will do everything and on a smell of an oily rag(also as the rs5s value goes down,and your savings going up till your in a position to buy one)good luck!

mark2 golf

I have driven all of them and I would get a rs4 wagon. The rs5 was a bit bland. looks awesome though.
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

D4EM0N

Quote from: mangusta on May 18, 2018, 07:38:37 AM
If you want a rs5,why not just get a polo,and keep saving for the car you want.Even when you get your rs5,you wont have to use it as an every day car exposed  to the dreaded......car park door ding!..the polo will do everything and on a smell of an oily rag(also as the rs5s value goes down, and your savings going up till your in a position to buy one)good luck!

That would be the sensible option, but the S5 and eventually the RS5 will only ever be my daily and a tow car. I already run an old forester which I'm sick of driving now, had it for 5 years and before that a auto starlet from the 90's. I think I'm over driving crap all the time. So would prefer the newer car now and just delay the rs5 a few years. 

Quote from: mark2 golf on May 18, 2018, 07:57:23 AM
I have driven all of them and I would get a rs4 wagon. The rs5 was a bit bland. looks awesome though.

My main motivation for the RS4/S5/rs5 is the interior finish and the looks, I'm not all that bothered about the performance side of things as both cars are not exactly fast really, I just want them for towing and a more modern reliable car. Was there a notable difference in performance between the RS4 and the S5 as they are built on the same motor?

Thanks for the input, I wasn't going to test an rs4 but think I will now, just to be sure.

slowmo

I don?t think any of those cars are rated for towing though?
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

mark2 golf

if you want to tow get a a6 3.0tdi
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

D4EM0N

From research I've done they can tow up to 2 tons. Which is enough for me as I'm towing less than that. The A6 3.0tdi would work well no doubt but I want something a little more exciting than that.A few NZ companies produce tow bars for the cars and rate them too.

I basically want a relatively fast tow vehicle that's comfortable but not a diesel. I've had a terrano in the past, it lasted two months, I hated it and couldn't live with it. I'm trying to get  a car that does it all which is proving difficult when budget is restricted, so hoping my choices fit that brief.   

VW'n

A modern diesel performance is nothing like an old terrano.
I think you should test drive one even if its only out of curiosity.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

D4EM0N

Quote from: VW'n on May 18, 2018, 08:13:33 PM
A modern diesel performance is nothing like an old terrano.
I think you should test drive one even if its only out of curiosity.

Your certainly not the first to say this, a few  of my mates are mechanics and keep telling me to go the ute direction. I will try my mates Nissan ute its brand new and see how it goes. I love shopping for cars so will try all options now I think. The only issue with diesel, is I was always 1000-3000 km behind on paying the appropriate fuel tax etc. I don't have a large commute so petrol would be the option I pick if I did get convinced to go that direction.   

mangusta

What about a rs6,the first ones are now at a price level where they will hold,and then move up,remembering these rs cars are special,and not the run of the mill day to day cars. Youd have to make sure you find a well cared for one,as if there as fast as the ferraris of the day(rs2,original rs4s were faster,and were indeed a lot quicker then the specs implied,chris harris tested a new 2001 rs4 and found even with the limiter on,it was a 180 mph car!)...they also cost as much to maintain.They will sneak up in value.On the note of driving dungas,i used to use clapped out minis for work,while i had a porsche 356 super 90,a 70 911s ,and a ferrari 308 gt4 at home....one day they all broke down at the same time....bugger so i was on the bus for a month.....them managed to roll the mini..which funny enough allways crapped out

schattenblau

Quote from: D4EM0N on May 18, 2018, 03:01:16 PM

My main motivation for the RS4/S5/rs5 is the interior finish and the looks, I'm not all that bothered about the performance side of things as both cars are not exactly fast really, I just want them for towing and a more modern reliable car. Was there a notable difference in performance between the RS4 and the S5 as they are built on the same motor?

Thanks for the input, I wasn't going to test an rs4 but think I will now, just to be sure.

not exactly fast ?
get some seat time now !

for fast towing how about an q5 or q7 of some sort.

or even an amarok ?

D4EM0N

Quote from: mangusta on May 20, 2018, 09:51:16 AM
What about a rs6,the first ones are now at a price level where they will hold,and then move up,remembering these rs cars are special,and not the run of the mill day to day cars. Youd have to make sure you find a well cared for one,as if there as fast as the ferraris of the day(rs2,original rs4s were faster,and were indeed a lot quicker then the specs implied,chris harris tested a new 2001 rs4 and found even with the limiter on,it was a 180 mph car!)...they also cost as much to maintain.They will sneak up in value.On the note of driving dungas,i used to use clapped out minis for work,while i had a porsche 356 super 90,a 70 911s ,and a ferrari 308 gt4 at home....one day they all broke down at the same time....bugger so i was on the bus for a month.....them managed to roll the mini..which funny enough allways crapped out

I do love the RS6 and dream car was the v10 version but there is no way I can afford that at the moment. You make a very good point on the values of these cars only going up as I believe they will not fall much further and I can afford an older example. However, finding a nice example will probably be difficult and they are a little older than I am looking for. I'm thinking inside 10 year old should be fairly reliable. My partners gen 2 mps NZ new is 2010 model and has had no issues whatsoever. I want the same, as the forester is constantly going wrong and I have to fix it. Awesome car history by the way some very nice examples there, and minis are pretty cool anyway.

Quote from: schattenblau on May 20, 2018, 11:41:28 AM
not exactly fast ?
get some seat time now !

for fast towing how about an q5 or q7 of some sort.

or even an amarok ?

Don't get me wrong for what it is the RS4 etc is a fast car, but I own a 700hp street legal race car that weighs in, in the high 1190's kg. So everything I drive compared to that feels slow, its why I want a tow vehicle to tow this car to events. I will say I haven't driven a rs4 yet so talking out of my ass really but going on numbers I suspect it will feel ok but not blow my socks off fast.  I should go 4x4 or q7 etc but really don't want one of those types of vehicles and probably out of my budget anyway. I may have no choice though if the S5, RS4/RS6/RS5 isn't really good at towing. I do intend to drive a few examples of cars/utes just to see if I can live with a proper tow car.

schattenblau

what's your race car ?

if you have the budget for a rs4/s5, a good suv should be within reach.

you can't beat a good turbo diesel for low down grunt.

:D

D4EM0N

Quote from: schattenblau on May 20, 2018, 05:53:32 PM
what's your race car ?

if you have the budget for a rs4/s5, a good suv should be within reach.

you can't beat a good turbo diesel for low down grunt.

:D

A very modified classic shape Subaru . If you went to the 4 and rotary's at all, it's won  best suby the last 2 years and also best 2000-2009 car. Reliability however is not great, as I am on my 4th engine rebuild in 2 years, seems to do 3-4 race events and I have issues. I'm a bit over it and part of the reason I want a nice daily and not a crap box to drive around in. The race car has had enough spent on it, time for a change.

jaimzthedrummer

Hi all,

I'm selling a 2007 RS4 and have been astounded at how it has lost value. I'm currently staring down an offer for $24k which means I will have lost more than $4k a year for 3 years.

I'm not desparate to sell, and have been giving serious thought to putting the rego on hold and garaging it. I have real heartstrings attached to this car and it makes me angry on some intangible level that a car like this can be worth so little. Also, I have no confidence that it's not going to drop further.

Anyway, I'm not sure my rant helps the conversation at all (sorry!)... but I guess a) I'm selling one if you want a drive, and b) the market for these cars is less stable than I thought, at least.
Current: 07 Audi RS4, 07 Audi S6, 94 BMW M3, 92 BMW 318is (race car), 04 Honda Odyssey
Past: 91 Ford Laser GT-X, 98 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4, 04 Subaru Legacy GT WR Edition, 93 Nissan Skyline GT-R

brian

Putting the rego on hold and waiting for the market to pick up can be a bit of a gamble. It may work out and it may not.
Don't ask how I know this.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

slowmo

Quote from: jaimzthedrummer on May 25, 2018, 01:30:07 PM
Hi all,

I'm selling a 2007 RS4 and have been astounded at how it has lost value. I'm currently staring down an offer for $24k which means I will have lost more than $4k a year for 3 years.

I'm not desparate to sell, and have been giving serious thought to putting the rego on hold and garaging it. I have real heartstrings attached to this car and it makes me angry on some intangible level that a car like this can be worth so little. Also, I have no confidence that it's not going to drop further.

Anyway, I'm not sure my rant helps the conversation at all (sorry!)... but I guess a) I'm selling one if you want a drive, and b) the market for these cars is less stable than I thought, at least.

I was seriously eyeing your car but ended up buying one locally.

On the other side of the equation I thought now?s a good time to buy as I was hoping they have stabilised in value. I honestly hope the B7 RS4 has reached the bottom end of pricing and hopefully start appreciating again over time. In saying that, i?m not fussed, i?m enjoying it and when it comes time to sell, the price is what it is.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

D4EM0N

Quote from: jaimzthedrummer on May 25, 2018, 01:30:07 PM
Hi all,

I think I have seen it on trade me and did consider it but rs4's are not rated for towing according to the AA in NZ and therefore, no one produces tow bars for them.  This puts me off them and the S5 fits my requirements better.  I do like them though and shame it doesn't suit. I'm now tossing between s5 and ml63 but fuel consumption is better on s5 so will probably stick to that.

Trofeo

Seen plenty of b7 RS4s with towbars. Almost certain they were an option through Audi dealerships.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

jaimzthedrummer

Yeah, several definitely have tow bars, including two currently for sale on Trade Me.

As for having factory options... I found a pdf of the sales brochure and it's not listed as an option. But then it mentions towing as one of the conditions that determines the recommended service intervals. o.O

Oh, and I might be prepared to cut you a deal on my one... if it means you stay away from an ML Mercedes! SUVs are a curse.  >:D

James
Current: 07 Audi RS4, 07 Audi S6, 94 BMW M3, 92 BMW 318is (race car), 04 Honda Odyssey
Past: 91 Ford Laser GT-X, 98 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4, 04 Subaru Legacy GT WR Edition, 93 Nissan Skyline GT-R