Mk6 Brake warning light

Started by coons, May 19, 2018, 08:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coons

Hey guys, looking to see if anyone can shed any light on this warning light that?s popped up on my Golf.
I have looked in the manual and it says it?s a warning for low brake pads, but it has new pads and rotors all round less than 2000km ago.

I?m wondering if it could be brake fluid, even though there is a different warning for that. Planning to check that tomorrow (have to remove the engine cover by the looks of it so not a 10sec job).

80 Vert

I would check that the pad sensor is still attached to the pad correctly first.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Trofeo

^ also If the pad sensor wire is broken, or insulation worn through, it could be earthing on something.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

coons

Bad sensor or damaged wire was my other thought. I also forgot to mention that it?s intermittent.
The more I think about it, the pit holes here over winter were horrific and there was definitely a few hard knocks. And with the ongoing patch work the roads were/are bumpy as hell. So entirely possible something got damaged.

If it was a dodgy wire in the brake disc how do you fix it? Replace the pad? Chop the wires to the pad sensor all together and join the wires?

Trofeo

Quote from: coons on May 19, 2018, 04:42:33 PM

If it was a dodgy wire in the brake disc how do you fix it? Replace the pad? Chop the wires to the pad sensor all together and join the wires?
not 100% sure on the golf, but typically the way they work is a wire connects to the brake pad and a metal contact within the pad. As the pad wears down, the metal contact becomes exposed and then touches the brake disc. This completes the circuit and the light goes on. But simply unplugging the wire to the pad, prevents the light from coming on. Often aftermarket pads don't have the connection anyway. Hence why a short in the circuit could be causing your issue.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

80 Vert

If its intermittent I'd say its the pad sensor, easy enough to get another. Could even be corroded contacts on the pad sensor wires.

GLIDN

I?d personally deactivate the sensor warning on cluster.
Unless you?d prefer to have the warning light active.

I?d also only recommend this de-activation if you work on your car and have no trouble keeping track of your brakes wearing to be replaced at the correct time.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

the phantom

Quote from: GLIDN on May 22, 2018, 08:50:28 AM
I?d personally deactivate the sensor warning on cluster.
Unless you?d prefer to have the warning light active.

I?d also only recommend this de-activation if you work on your car and have no trouble keeping track of your brakes wearing to be replaced at the correct time.

isn't it a WOF fail if all the warning lights don't come on with the ignition?
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

No need to deactivate the warning, just fix the problem and carry on.

GLIDN

Phantom - there is no law requiring a car to be fitted with a brake pad wear sensor.
It?s something many manufacturers started adding to their cars. So the general population can continue spending their time think about other things. Only when the warning pops up, would they need to do anything.

I disabled my own cars sensors as the uprated pads I installed had no wear sensor at all. This is my reasoning behind it.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

the phantom

quite right, but if a safety feature is fitted, it must be operational
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

coons

Quote from: 80 Vert on May 22, 2018, 06:40:53 AM
If its intermittent I'd say its the pad sensor, easy enough to get another. Could even be corroded contacts on the pad sensor wires.

By ?new one?, so you mean new pad? Basically meaning I have to replace all 4 front pads again?

80 Vert

Should be able to buy the pad sensor with wire and plug attached. Don't need new pads but take your wheel off and have a look first.

coons

Yep need to take the wheel off and look at it properly, the problem may be glaringly obvious once I get in there.

Have no tools, no jack, and no where to work currently. So all a bit of a pain in the ass really! But thanks for the advice, will come back with what I find.