Porsche 964 1990 C4 rebuild

Started by 80 Vert, May 20, 2018, 09:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filx

FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

timewarrior

It?s a strong sign that a build thread is good when you?ve put a novel about Vietnam War fighter pilots down to read it  ;D I can?t wait to see this beautiful Porsche in its new colour!
94 Golf VR6 Dusty Mauve Pearl
05 Golf GTI Diamond Black Metallic
04 Golf R32 Reflex Silver Metallic

"The more I know, the more I don't pretend to know"

80 Vert

Been a while updating this but that doesn't mean nothing has happened, almost nothing has happened.  ;D
Anyway, Engine is still progressing. Heads are finished now. New light weight valves, springs, retainers and keepers.
Valve seats all refaced and new cams ordered, ended up going for 993 super sport cams.
New 3.8L pistons and cylinders $$$.........needs must.
The body, after block sanding that and fixing the panel gaps as best I could I shipped that off to the painter, he did a couple more body repairs but said its a really clean straight body so that's good to hear.
The rolling shell is in high build primer now and they will continue to block sand it. Once its at the paint stage I'll get it back, strip the rest of the running gear out and paint the under body, wheel arches and front trunk area before handing it back for exterior paint..
Went round and round on colours and changed my mind several times but I think I'm there now......for now.....until I change my mind again...

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

le mans

A very exciting phase! This is one of my favourite colours at the moment (Pearl Effect Blue LZ5T) but I?m sure you?ve got your own ideas!

schattenblau

the phantom

I think the original colour in the opening shot looks very nice
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

Back on this without distractions now, full updates coming to you weekly!!  >:D
This will be the new thread to update each Sunday.

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

80 Vert

So, the 964.
Back in January or February of 2021 my painter primed it and then, well it just sort of got left sitting. I got busy with the Golf, he got busy (actually he's always super busy) Didn't really bother me as it was out of my way and I just sort of forgot about it.
This is not a bad thing and here's why, when filler and primer are applied these products shrink over time (most painters will tell you they don't but its 1000% a lie) so the best thing you can do with a high end paint job is to get it pretty straight then apply your material and leave it for as long as possible.
This is what I "should" have done with the Golf but I absolutely didn't want that off the road for 12 months plus so I did the best I could by leaving it for a month or two. Not ideal but for that car fine.

The Porsche however is different and going about it completely different, I did an initial 120 block on it to straighten it up (it was really good to begin with) made some repairs needed and then the painter did a few more bits to it. They then loaded a bunch of filler primer on it so that we can do 240, 400 and 800 grit block without re priming it to a large extent between grits.
What this means is that all that material has cured and settled over the last 12 months its been sitting around avoiding any shrinkage and sink back later.
Anyway, with the Golf done last December I went and saw the painter and told him I'll grab the car back over the holidays to start working on it in an attempt to get the project moving forward again.
Its been agreed that I'll do the 240 and 400 stages, strip the entire car and mount it on a cart. They will then do the 800 stage and paint it. Full colour change and we are going to make it pristine underneath as well so everything is coming out.
More of the same, 240 stage happening.

80 Vert

And we're off, more of the same. I'm not really set up for all this dust and even vacuuming regularly the dust just seems to get on everything.
Last opportunity to check panel fit and make any adjustments, so far so good.
Not sure what I'll do with the Azev Type A's on the car but they aren't part of the final vision. I did intend to keep them as track wheels but by the time this is done it will be so mint it probably won't ever see a track.

Things are looking really good for a first round of sanding, long way to go but I like where its headed.
Still looking at colours but I'm 99.9% sure its not going to be Marine blue metallic which is its original colour, just doesn't do anything for me.
Still hopeful of paint February / March so there's still time to change my mind a few times.

80 Vert

When I got this car it had a stupid fiberglass tea tray type wing on it so that was one of the first things to come off to be sold.
I found a complete used stock lid with spoiler on Yahoo Japan and shipped that over. Bit of finessing to get the gaps right but pretty happy with it now.
All the panels, doors, sunroof, bonnet & rear lid all have a body number stamped in them so you are easily able to identify if the panels are original to the car or not, fortunately everything is apart from the rear lid.

A couple years ago I bought a set of rear pop out windows from an early 911 in the hope I could use them on my car, looking at the window hinges and the stripped body the 3 screw mounting in the rear C pillar is already there as is the mountings on the B pillar. All I need to do is thread all the holes and cut 2 small slots for the window hinges to pass through. Happy days.
The rear pop outs are fantastic for air through flow when you have the sunroof open or windows down, does away with the annoying buffeting you commonly get.

brian

I've always been a fan of pop out rear side windows.
Weirdly, the magazine road testers are a bit disparaging when confronted by them.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

the phantom

Homebuilt by Jeff pu electric openers on his Alfa coupe rear vent windows, couldn't quickly find the right vid

https://www.youtube.com/c/HomeBuiltByJeff
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

Yeah I used Sharan ones on the Jetta Coupe. Had not thought electric but that's a great idea.

80 Vert

Since I'm going to be also painting the underside in body colour everything needs to come out, firstly to make it easy and second it will enable me to go over, clean, replace or rebuild every component.
I thought it was fairly well stripped but you soon realise that there's an awful lot more stuff in there and being a small car with AWD they did cram a lot of stuff in to such a small package.
My plan is to mount the body on a trolley I borrowed off Filx so that its easy to move it around and it has something to sit on when the under body gets painted.
The underside just needs to be cleaned and painted, no other prep required....that's what I thought anyway until I discovered that under the front tub and all 4 wheel wells had been undersealed black. Unsure of how things look under the underseal I thought id best remove it back to the factory gravel guard.

le mans

Nice. It actually looks pretty good under there.

80 Vert

Thanks Jon, yes its a really solid body considering the age of it.
Had a go at the underseal first with a big 3000psi water blaster and a rotary nozzle, took it off but was painfully slow so another solution is needed.
I have a lot of experience with waterblasters as that was my main business for many years, hot water always does a better job as far as cleaning goes. Even though its not as powerful the heat seems to soften things meaning less pressure is required to remove / clean the surface.
Needed to get under the body also and with it mounted on the cart the forklift seemed like the perfect solution, look away work safe you're not welcome here.
Great thing about the forklift is that the body can be high enough that you can stand up underneath it.
Sure enough the hot water at 90/100deg C and 1500psi made short work of the underseal, just peels it off. Grease and oil (of which there was plenty) was no match for the cleaning power of hot water. Didn't even need to use any chemicals on it.
The other bonus of using hot water is that the body dries much faster, certainly picked the perfect overcast day for it.
Wet messy job but really satisfying.

brian

No weekly update, what's gone wrong, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

le mans

80 Vert

Hmm it's all turned to s**t and ground to a halt. Will update once resolved. Not looking good.