Thanks Rob, yep just makes sense.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

dubstar

Good tip on the 3M weatherstrip adhesive.  I did all the seals on the mk1 and the top edge seals keep coming off, will hunt some down here
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

80 Vert

It is black too which is better on rubber than the yellow contact glue.

80 Vert

Starting to really add weight to the body now and have been thinking about getting it off the cart for some time, but its just been so handy working underneath being that bit higher up in the air. Anyway time to get this thing rolling.
My old Azev type A rollers on the process is fairly simple, raise the car on jack stands so that it clears the pins on the cart, pull the cart out from under it and start dropping the front / rear bit by bit.
Still a bit nerve wracking dealing with something that is fairly pristine but all went well I'm happy to say.
Car back on the ground I can start concentrating on the interior and getting the doors on and built out, first job will be the headliner.

I had been looking for all new decals for the trunk area for a while but either the shipping was ridiculous or the price of the decal was crazy, I mean 20-30 euros to ship a couple stickers is madness.
When I restored my MK2 Golf I got all new decals from OEM car stickers who was awesome to deal with at the time so I contacted him to see what he could offer. He said send me  images and sizes and I'll just make them for you.
We ended up doing a bit of a colab and he now has a full set of 964 decals including the engine bay ones so if anyone needs decals at a much more reasonable price contact OEM car stickers on Instagram or Facebook. Cannot recommend them highly enough.
Even if you need something in particular that isn't available he'll make what you need.

Car on the ground its headliner time, decided I wanted Alcantara so bought the material and made one. Fairly simple, no bows on a sunroof car to worry about. The tricky parts will be the pillars, need these to look right and wrinkle free, Alcantara also isn't stretchy like vinyl.
Just have to deal with the zip in the rear for sunroof motor access, my original one was blue perforated vinyl and luckily the colour of the zip was so close to the charcoal Alcantara that I was able to unpick it to be re used. Had my upholsterer sew that in for me.
First measured the center of the zip and using the old headliner as a reference I got the headliner positioned in the car with bulldog clips, moving it around so that the zip in the back was sitting exactly as original.
Double, triple check we're on center and the zip is straight started pulling things tighter using the clips to hold it front to back. Next up will be to start gluing it in place bit by bit.

Period_Correct_

Do you remember Robhs signature from 10 years ago? It might still be the same. ?All that?s left to do is everything?

Really enjoying following this John!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

80 Vert

Have used that phrase from Jesse James plenty of times, ohh yes there's plenty left to do but progress is progress.

80 Vert

The headliner install continues along with new back leather on the A and B pillars at the same time.
Headliner positioned where I wanted it after a few adjustments and measurements. Time to start gluing it bit by bit, started at the center of the front screen and then doing the same at the rear to keep things straight and tight before moving on to the sides, working towards the pillars.
Just used bulldog clips to keep it in place as I went along.

Material isn't too bad to work with, not stretchy like vinyl so its important to keep it tight and wrinkle free. The pillars were probably the hardest to do and have them look right, pretty much tried to copy the factory blue pieces I took off.
Once the whole headliner was installed I could think about cutting the hole for the sunroof. As soon as you cut the hole out the material of course looses its tightness so I used a wax pencil to draw around the sunroof opening so that once the glue was applied I could pull it back to that line and fold it over, gluing it to the roof. Again the corners are the tricky part, for me anyways as I'm no upholsterer but its coming out good.

Sunroof opening completed, just the rear window corners left to go now. I'm leaving the C pillars at this stage as I'm still toying with installing electric operated rear pop out windows so I'll need access to that area if that plan goes ahead.
I have the windows from an early car as well as made the slots in the B post for the hinges but that's as far as I got.

80 Vert

Decided to do something different for the dash inserts, rather than blue / black I wanted to tie in some of the plaid material from the seats.
Been thinking about this idea for a while but wasn't sure if it would be too much so the only way to see how it would look is to do it, started with the small piece on the drivers side first. Quite tricky lining everything up and making sure the lines are straight.
Switches in temporarily to hold it in place I really like the look of it, planning to do a carbon fiber knee pad to tie it all together.
I'll also be using some plaid accents in the doors, most likely a continuation of the dash strip in to the door.

Center piece next, this material doesn't stretch at all making this panel quite difficult in the corners but luckily this is all hidden by the radio and climate control unit.
All the switches in just holding it in place for now, still have to remove this again to add some glue to stick it down permanently.
Other pieces done and installed I felt the glove box door needed something extra to break up the plaid so after a lot of searching I found a really nice 3D Porsche badge in silver / black that should be ideal for that once it arrives.
The dash pad itself was blue originally but this will be going black leather with a white French seam over the gauge pod to match the stitching in the carbon seats i'm using. The flat part of the dash nearer the windscreen will be alcantara. I'm going to leave this part to a pro upholsterer as I have no desire to waste materials trying to do it myself. Getting that French seam to look right will be pretty challenging.
Over all I like where its going, progress is slow but it's moving along.

RobClubley

Love it that will look fantastic.
Have you seen Home Built by Jeff on YouTube? He did purple tartan on his seats and dash panel of his 911.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

80 Vert

I've seen bits and pieces yeah, seems pretty common for people to do this on the dash.

80 Vert

Time to fit the doors, I spent a fair amount of time gapping these panels when doing the bodywork. A shim here and there to get them sitting where I needed them to be.
Of course then you would undo all of that when you take it apart for paint which is why I prefer to pull the hinge pins if possible. That way the door goes back on in exactly the same spot as it was before paint. No damaged hinge bolt heads etc, no touch ups needed.
Anyway, since I'm doing this on my own some masking tape is in order, have to swing a hammer in there to drive the pins back in.
Cleaned off the build up of paint on the hinge surfaces ready for the door to go back on.

A towel on the trolley jack makes for an interesting balancing act but slow and steady wins the race, Get the height just right and start inching it in carefully. Once one of the pins are a little ways in you're pretty well set and the rest is easy. Drove the pins in and next the check rod goes in so that there's no chance of over extending the door.
Door striker adjustments to get the door closing nice and lined up just right.

When I took these doors apart I removed the window regulator complete in one hit but no matter what I tried there was no way it was going back in the same way. Thinking it must have been the door lock wasn't in there when I removed it originally.
Anyway, had to take the motor off, insert it in the door and assemble the thing in place. More of a faff doing it this way and on the other door I managed to install the complete regulator before the lock went in.
Cleaned the glass and installed that on its track before cleaning the door frame to slip that over the glass. Few adjustments on the frame to achieve a nice even gap to the roofline.
The solid clunk you get closing the door is pure Porsche quality, copy paste on the other door. Can't wait to put the other trim and mirrors on.

80 Vert

Having done the headliner in alcantara I couldn't really leave the sun visors in blue vinyl, didn't think painting them black would look very good either so I thought I'd wrap them. How hard could it possibly be?
First attempt was a huge fail, made a template of the shape with masking tape and cut out 2 pieces, sewed those together to create a pocket that the visor would slip in to and then hand sew the top seam closed. Sounded like a great idea but was a massive failure.
I hadn't considered the curvature of the visor so the seam from corner to corner wanted to be straight instead of curved to follow the shape of the visor. Also where the material was sewn together creates a ridge that won't sit flat. No good, time to re think this.
Scrap that idea and cut two more pieces, this time glue them on to each side of the visor so that the join ends up coming together right on the seam and hand sew the entire thing.

Downside with this method is it takes forever and difficult to get looking right / spacing of holes etc. In all a massive struggle but then I'm no upholsterer either.
The 2nd  one went a lot easier as I made a little template out of plastic with evenly spaced holes giving a lot more consistency in the X pattern. Always room to improve of course but for now this will have to do.

Always difficult finding the holes in the body with a new headliner so in this case I used the old headliner over the top to show where the hole should be. Only get one go at cutting it, get it wrong the whole headliner needs to be replaced.

As usual the climate control fan was non op and didn't fancy 300usd for a Porsche one. After a bunch of research I ended up with this Jaguar one, brand new 25 pounds ex UK Ebay.
Took the CCU apart to clean the temp sensor, replaced the bulbs with LED's and had a general look around. Nothing burnt so hopefully it works.

Took the fans apart, housings are identical, fan direction is the same as well. The only difference is the Porsche fan blades are curved vs the straight blades on the Jaguar one.
The Porsche blades fit in the Jaguar motor which is what I ended up doing here, cut the electrical plug off the original one and soldered that on to the new one. Another little job done.

the phantom

I remember a utoob video about recovering a steering wheel in leather, the guy used a sewing machine with no cotton in to punch regularly spaced holes for hand stirching
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

I have tried that before but it didn't work out that good for me, probably operator error.

A new year and a new post, this will be the year of the 964 getting completed. A lot has been done and it's really starting to all come together now. Been thinking a lot about the door panels and how to change them. The originals were pretty shabby as someone has removed the plastic membrane at some point so the panels got wet pretty much ruining them. I could probably transfer the covers to new boards but to be honest I think I'd rather start fresh with all new.
Bought a sheet of panel board and used the old ones as templates to make these, transferred the speaker mounts, clips and other things over.
Test fitted to confirm fitment, all good here so far.

Really don't like the original door pull and door handle on these, not a fan of plain RS ones either so I'm trying to come up with something different here. I do want to keep the original angled sewn lines and also want to incorporate some of the seat plaid in to the doors.
Marked out the sew lines on the door and added the lower bin and handle but I'm just not feeing that look. The door pull handle needs to go. Lots of looking online it seems no one really does anything different other than stock or RS type of thing. More consideration required.

Material choices will be black leather on the angled sewn part of the door, plaid as a continuation of the dash with either alcantara or black leather below that on the bottom half of the door. To break those two a divider is needed so then I started thinking about an anodized aluminium trim to cover where the seam will be. Just made from stock bent to shape which should work well.
Some sort of door pull that incorporates the window switch would be ideal, this is where 3D printing and design would be ideal, something I know nothing about unfortunately.

In the end at least I decided on material choices and general layout if nothing else. Area in red will be where the plaid goes, just need a solution for that ugly handle. I can live with the lower pocket / bin thing as it kind of works with the speakers.
This is where the door card project stalled for now, more to come.

80 Vert

Still planning to do something different with the headlights but to do what I really want I'll need deeper headlight buckets, that's something I should have thought of prior to paint. hmmm. Always something.
But, for now the stock lights will suffice, pulled both of them apart to clean the lenses and reflectors before installing them with the trim rings. The front end is starting to come together nicely, won't be far off putting the bonnet and bumper on.

The old oil cooler bracket was a bit mangled so courtesy of Autobahn in San Diego, Mike sent me a very nice used one with some other parts a while back.  Took absolutely everything apart and thoroughly cleaned everything. Stripped the loose paint off the oil cooler and gave it a new coat of black.
Washed the oil cooler out several times with fresh gas and left that to air dry. I'll probably do the resistor mod as well to have the fan come on a little earlier than stock. The ceramic fan ballast was broken when I disassembled it so a new replacement fitted.
I'm yet to tackle the oil pipes but both of these will get new hoses made and swaged on, my aim is to replace every bit of rubber oil and fuel hose in the entire car.

And back on the car with plated hardware and wiring back where it needs to be. Just the hoses left to do and bumper to fit but I still need a few parts for that.

Copy paste on the other side for the A/C condenser, disassemble, clean, new O rings and on it goes. Another couple jobs done.

80 Vert

My car being a 1990 build missed out on the teardrop / aero door mirrors which are so much better looking than the earlier flag mirrors. Years ago I found a couple mismatched aero ones pretty cheap, completely dismantled them to paint all of the components individually for a completely OEM finish.
Removing the original flag mirrors I made a tool to de pin the pins from the connector inside the mirror housing as there's no way to remove the mirror from the door unless you do that or what most do and just cut the wiring.
The connectors are different on the aero ones depending on what year car they came from and both of mine were different so I decided to go an alternative route.
I stripped the harness from the original flag mirrors and compared the servo motors discovering they are the same apart from the length / depth of the tubes in the 3 mounting holes. This meant my idea would work, use the harness from the flag mirrors soldered on to the aero servo motors for a completely OEM solution.

New mirror base gaskets gave me loads of grief, almost like they were too small and did not want to stay in place on their own, in the end I had to resort to a few pieces of masking tape holding the gasket on the base, feeding the wiring in to the mirror and tightening the mirror to the door almost all the way and then carefully wriggling out the bits of masking tape before tightening the mirror all the way. It really didn't need to be that difficult but it was.
Assembly is straight forward from there, plug the connectors in and fit the glass. Job done.

dubstar

They look much better than the flag mirrors
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

80 Vert

with the replacement air intake bellows to the A/C box finally arrived I was able to install that along with the air intake grille, bulkhead panel, fuse box and finally the fuel tank.
So much stuff crammed in to the front, next challenges are the electric power steering pump and spare wheel, I have 2 options here.
Mount the pump where the wheel would sit or run the spare as normal and replace the battery with a nice small lithium unit possibly leaving enough space next to it for the pump. Need to do some measuring there as I quite like that idea if it can be made to work.
Just ordered the remaining bumper parts as well so the bonnet and bumper will be going on in the next few weeks to pretty much complete the front end.

Been working on this next piece for quite a while, had a random idea that I wanted something different for scuff plates and better still if they would light up on opening the door.
Did 2 designs, one with Carrera and the other with Porsche, contacted various companies on having them made which took a bit of effort to find someone that could do what I wanted.
Had a set of each produced and they duly arrived, a thing I had not considered when designing these was the door rubber as I used the original scuff plate as a template which is of course thinner.
Net result was these new ones didn't fit. Rather than starting again I modified what I already had which worked out good. If doing it again I know now what needs to be changed. All part of doing something new.
Over all they could be better and certainly the next set would be but these are going to work fine for me.

brian

The illuminated scuff plates is a nice touch
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue