Porsche 964 1990 C4 rebuild

Started by 80 Vert, May 20, 2018, 09:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranton-inc

Quote from: Worms on April 20, 2023, 07:32:49 AM
I'm loving this thread. Wish there was a like button  8)

Don't the cool kids this day reply with "F" or Thumbs up emojis  ;D

This is looking grouse, Nice to see the time and effort being put in.

Worms

Quote from: ranton-inc on April 20, 2023, 08:01:07 AM
Don't the cool kids this day reply with "F" or Thumbs up emojis  ;D

I wouldn't know, would I?  ;D

80 Vert

I've been using Pro Coat locally for all of the powder coating on this car and recently sent them the rear brake calipers that I'd completely stripped of everything. Factory colour is black but thought yellow would look better and tie in with the yellow seat belts and other yellow accents the interior will get.
Now, technically yellow calipers on Porsche at least signifies carbon ceramic of course but I'll choose to ignore that and do what I want.
Pro Coat completely paint stripped these, powder coated yellow, applied new Porsche decals and then did a clear powder coat over everything.
Results speak volumes of their quality work. As I'd used the front ones on another project I've recently purchased another pair from Autobahn and had them shipped over here, have since stripped those and sent them in to be done.

Pistons were unmarked, just required a good polish and assembled them with new seals, re plated bleed screws and fitted new brake pads.
Ready to go back on the car, slowly this thing is coming together.

With the painted intakes having cured for an agonisingly long week that could finally be put together, painted the Y pipe I made in black wrinkle which has done a great job of hiding my crappy looking welds.
I did add a MAP sensor with integrated IAT sensor as well right behind the throttle body.
Surprisingly difficult lining up all of the hose clamps so that they appear straight and the screw fittings all line up, yes I'm that anal!
Bracket for the sensors attached and throttle body on the entire intake is finally complete and ready to be plopped on the engine.
I'll probably need to make a small vacuum manifold for the one open port on the manifold but I'll do that once I know how many vacuum references I need.
Not sure yet if I'll delete the charcoal vapour recovery system or not, if I can hide it away and looks tidy I'll probably run it.

Back where it belongs hopefully for the final time. Next small job will be making a cover plate for the back of the fan as that ugly engine bay mounted blower is going away as well. No heat required in a car I'll only drive in nice weather.
Looking at it yesterday makes me realize just how much there is left to do before this can go on the engine dyno for tuning but each step no matter how small gets me closer.
Limited time and wanting to do everything myself can slow things down a lot but it is what it is.

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

80 Vert

Not much of an update today unfortunately, fact is I've caught up with posting and run out of material.
The next big thing is the exhaust, I need 3:1 merged collectors and I'm too tight to spend 500+ buying them so I've ordered the materials I need to make some. Still difficult enough to find at a reasonable price but a company in Australia had what I needed.
Once those are in I'll make a cutting jig for them and get going on that project.
Yesterday I spent a frustrating few hours installing longer studs for the billet valve covers and found the covers would not go on anymore, the cause being some of the studs are not straight. Tried in vain to straighten a few of them but it just annoyed me even more when that didn't work either. The issue being that the new ones are a fair bit longer so if they are even a little bit off the covers won't go on and I'm reluctant to use bolts threading in and out of aluminium constantly when doing valve adjustments.
So, got online and ordered new ones, at least now I know what to look out for and hopefully these work.
Looking around at what else to do to salvage the day I thought id start pulling the gearbox apart, started with the longtudenal diff lock housing and once this was off was pleasantly surprised to find all of the clutch discs in tact and seemingly in good shape.
The planetary gear which is often damaged on these due to the pins coming out looks great also but 2 of the pins were coming out and the 3rd is also loose.
Once cleaned I'll tig weld these in place on both sides stopping that from happening in the future.

80 Vert

Shocked to see it's been nearly 2 months since an update, let me fill you in on what has been happening or lack there of.
That company in Australia I mentioned last update, they are responsible. Car Mods Australia, THE most useless bunch of no hopers to ever exist.
Placed my order and took my payment immediately (of course) then 3 weeks of nothing, no tracking, nothing. Emailed several times after 3 weeks asking for tracking and finally got a response saying they had no stock and wouldn't be getting any more.....
That's a month of waiting gone, as annoyed as I was the next thing of course would be a refund? right?
Not that simple with these guys, they just don't reply, with the involvement of the bank this took another 3 weeks. Their communication placing the order was great, after that diabolical.
Moving on from that I found a company in the UK this time, total opposite experience and have those parts here now.
In all suffering a severe lack of interest and motivation the project has stalled and nothing has been achieved since the last update.
During the week Pro Coat sent me the completed front calipers which look fantastic so yesterday I thought I'd assemble them and put them on, things went well at first.
I had new kits for them, new pads so things should be easy......

Cleaned up all of the old hardware, pistons, and bought some new stainless retaining bolts. Assembly was straight forward, pistons went in easy so all was well.

Once I went to fit them on the car I realized the error I had made, when I received these calipers from the US one of the balance pipes was damaged so I made a new one. The calipers have arrows on them for the direction of travel of the disc and this is due to the fact that the leading piston is larger, I did not consider this back then and as a result installed the balance pipe in the wrong end.
Sent them off for powder coat that way and of course now cannot remove that pipe without mauling everything and that's exactly what happened yesterday. No matter what the pipe needs to be moved to the other end but the fittings wouldn't budge until the vise grips came out, pipe moved. Powder coat ruined. Time to chuck it in.

liv

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the order!  That absolutely sucks. Am so glad that there?s at least progress again. Been here week after week looking for updates and hope they keep flowing.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)
2019 Mercedes Benz B180 AMG (W247)

Period_Correct_

The many highs and lows of project car life aye John... Its great when its good, and when its bad, its always winter too.... :(
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

80 Vert

Yeah man, relying on others is often the problem however this time I'm to blame.
We'll see how things pan out otherwise she's going to get parked for a while.

RobClubley

Ohh man I feel your pain. So many times I reached the feeling of being almost done only to be shot down by the ugly truth of the next thing I didn?t know I had to fix. And I?m just a Google-trained amateur.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

coons

Wow, I had no idea this 'Other' section of the forum existed, it was collapsed down and I would just scroll past it. Pleasantly surprised to find this build thread, and has provided some great reading over the past couple of days to now be up to speed.

Seeing the progression through this thread, and seeing the car in person, this thing is epic. Awesome attention to detail, in typical John fashion it will probably be better than the day it rolled off the factory line! If I had $100k laying around there is no doubt about it I would have a 964 in my garage. So until then, great to follow this project and live vicariously though you!

You're getting quite the collection of bloody cool project cars. It must be difficult to know what to drive. Although the Ghia and Jetta are both off the road at the moment right?

Hopefully after your holiday you come back with some fresh motivation (and parts??  ;)). I can see the finish line for this is not too far away, although a good project often never has a true finish line..

80 Vert

Yep, Jetta I on hold and Ghia also. Both need finishing so are in a never ending cue waiting to be done.
Trying to at least progress things however small that may be, managed to get some yellow paint that matches the calipers pretty well and touched those up with a brush. Bit of epoxy primer first then several coats of yellow. Am I happy, no. But it will have to do.
The front rotors had gone a bit rusty from sitting around and wanted to clean those up, they measure fine and didn't really warrant wasting money to replace just yet.
In the blasting cabinet they go and hit them with glass bead cleaning them up, ran a DA with 120 grit over the pad surface to take the rust off.
Once clean a couple of coats of zinc spray will keep them from rusting, wiped away the zinc on the pad surface with thinners.
Once the car has working brakes the pads will take care of the rest ending up with zinc right up to the edges.

Rotors done they can go back where they belong with the calipers. Either lost the brake hard line from the strut to the caliper or used them on another car, the latter being more likely since the original calipers ended up on the Karmann Ghia.
Not much achieved but it is progress at least.

RS ZWEI

How are you getting on with the 964 John?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

80 Vert

Parked it Nik, lost interest in it after a bunch of not so nice things going on. Had thoughts of just selling it but decided in the end to keep it and just wait till some other stuff is resolved so that I can continue with it.

coons

Don't sell, the motivation will return. Will be a fantastic car once eventually done