3.0 tdi EGR

Started by hammer59, May 21, 2018, 12:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer59

Hi all.  I'm hoping there's someone out there who's a bit of a guru with EGR systems.

I've had my A6 allroad 2010 for about 15 months.  The day after buying it (privately), the yellow engine light came on.  I happened to be near a dealership at the time and took it in.  The scanner showed it was exhaust gas recirculation - low flow.  They said it needed a new EGR valve and it would cost about 2.5k.  Erk!  Was miles from home and they said it was okay to drive so I took it home to Wanganui (no dealership here).  Had the local diesel expert check it out - they took out and cleaned the valve, cleaned all the associated piping and put it back together.  This seemed to fix it but about 4 months later the warning light started coming on again (intermittently).  They pulled it apart again and everything still seemed clean.  Car went to an auto electrician for some sort of reset, but it made no difference.  I bit the bullet and bought a new egr valve (uk ebay - 120 pounds) and had that installed, and it was okay for a couple of weeks then the light started coming on again.  Very reluctant to just leave it with a dealership, and it would be a logistical nightmare to get it to them anyway.  Has anyone got any ideas?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.