Knocking/Ticking Noise from Air Vents

Started by NicB83, May 22, 2018, 03:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicB83

Does anyone elses VW make a knocking/ticking noise from what sounds like the air vents?

My partners 2007 Jetta does it and also my 2007 Golf GTI.

I thought it was just the vents warming up with the heater but it tends to do it regardless.
Get In, Shut Up and Hang On! ;)

The Red Warrior

Could be the little motors that move the flaps around. They might be not be set correctly or be broken.

McDoof

Mine does that all the time. I think it has something to do with the "neutral" position of the flaps not being set correctly. I think this can be remedied with a VCDS. I have not gotten around to doing mine. I just keep the stereo turned up :-)
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

NicB83

Quote from: McDoof on May 23, 2018, 10:56:20 AM
Mine does that all the time. I think it has something to do with the "neutral" position of the flaps not being set correctly. I think this can be remedied with a VCDS. I have not gotten around to doing mine. I just keep the stereo turned up :-)

Hahaha, the only time I hear it is when I dont have my stereo on (which is hardly ever). From what I have read online it seems to be a common VW and Audi thing so im not overly concerned about it. The fact that both VWs we own seem to do it, im sure its not causing any issues apart from my sanity when I can hear it.
Get In, Shut Up and Hang On! ;)

DTM

Its normal so don't stress my my two Audi?s the GTI and my SEAT Leon FR all made the same noise. I remember taking in my DTM to the dealership because of this only to be told its normal. Its never bothered me really. Something to do with the vents i beleive. 

Worms

Some of the motors crap out often. You get a tick-tick-tick--tick-tick. If you scan it, you may have a code. mine did. After I replaced the recirc motor, no more code, no more click click.

Sometimes they need replacing, sometimes they just need a lube with plastic safe grease.

On the Climatronic panel, you can hold some buttons to do a re-learn of the end stops - press the ECON (or AC) and "Face" button together.

Beaumont

Yes resetting sometimes works but not very often. We have done it on hundreds of mk5s and most need flap motors replacing

The Red Warrior

There are actually lots of these motors on trademe. Fairly steep price but they may be new. Haven't actually looked properly. I bought one from a wreckers in the U.K.