Mk1 TT Wheel Options?

Started by benckj, May 27, 2018, 07:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benckj

Picking up car soon and one of the first things on the list is a set of new wheels and tyres. Probably want something a little more aggressive and open on wheel front along with ability to have selection of performance tyres to choose from. Currently, I believe the car has these specs;

225/45/17
5x100 PCs
7.5? width
32 offset

So question is what are my options for other wheels including using the Mk2 TT ones?
Not too concerned on going to 18? due to tyre selection but possibly wider and black satin open face design.

Does anyone go with a staggered set-up with wider rears? Not sure how this affects suspension geometry as car is basically a FWD
2004-Audi TT 3.2l Quattro
Mods underway!

the phantom

MK2 TTs are 5x112 so no luck there as MK1s are 5x100, anthing that fits a MK4 Golf or same era A4 should work

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

schattenblau

fat fives looks nice on tt's

reverse stagger like an rs3 ?

:laugh:

benckj

I?m checking on a set I like off TM now. Need some details and price first. Hope to post a pic soon.
Mods underway!

benckj

Looks like the wheels I was after are already sold. Kind of annoying that they list vehicles with all parts available when reality its already been partially stripped. Pic of wheels attached.
Mods underway!

heylinb4nz

Quote from: benckj on May 28, 2018, 11:37:49 AM
Looks like the wheels I was after are already sold. Kind of annoying that they list vehicles with all parts available when reality its already been partially stripped. Pic of wheels attached.

SHould be able to find something at Hyper

These here look similar.

https://www.hyperdrive.co.nz/product/5806/bgw-fury-gloss-black?associated=15753

Some of the more modern 5 split spokes look nice too.

benckj

Those do look nice. Forgot about Hyper and thier wheel choices. Not sure about buying new though as I live in the country and the wheels take a beating. Would rather get a used set and save some $$ for maintenance.
Mods underway!

benckj

Those in the know can you advise on the largest offset that can be installed on the Mk1?  I understand that an alternative stock size is;

225/40r18
8j x 18
offset=33

Most aftermarket wheels I've seen run around the 40 to 45mm offset. Can these work or will they interfere with the strut housing or possibly wheel arch on full lock?  I don't want to install wheel spacers as this can be a problem with stud length and compliance issues.
Mods underway!

heylinb4nz

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I've found this resource very useful over the years

benckj

Ive used that calculator before and it?s very good. My issue is that I don?t know the car and tolerances I can get away with. Looking at an Audi set now that has been plastic coated which I believe will work. Just need to arrange shipping from AK.
Mods underway!

benckj

Pulled the trigger and bought wheels plus arranged shipping from AK to SI.  Cost a bit to do but worth shopping around for right wheel/tyre combo I know will fit. May try and replace tyres with a 235 width later on.

Audi Multispoke & PCD
225/40/R18
18x 8jj
35mm offset

Tried to attach pic but received message that upload folder is full. Is this something I can attend to?
Mods underway!

the phantom

it's easier to link to an external source, I use imgur and "copy image location" the insert the pic icon and paste the address in the centre
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

benckj

I lost faith in using external source to host pics after photobucket saga. Have loaded wheel choice on my avatar for reference.
Mods underway!