Haldex Service at Home??

Started by benckj, May 29, 2018, 08:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benckj

Does anyone service their Haldex diff at home and if so where do you buy the special oil & filter?

Checked overseas and prices vary but shipping is a killer. Not sure how $$ compare with dealer costs as I see Heylin gets his done for around $150 at dealership.

How about the special tool required for filter?

https://www.europaparts.com/checkout/cart/

Jim
2004-Audi TT 3.2l Quattro
Mods underway!

Gordo

If from the UK or US, check out the NZ Post forwarding service - can save a merry' fortune in some cases.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

schattenblau

for $150 i'd get it done at a dealership.

benckj

Yea $150 isn't too bad all things considered. I'm just use to doing my own work and closest Audi dealership is 1+hr away.

QuoteIf from the UK or US, check out the NZ Post forwarding service - can save a merry' fortune in some cases.

Don't I know it having been raped before from ebay sales & shipping.

Link above is from UK but actually there are better rates coming from US. Might have to give Youshop a go unless you can believe the $6 postage on Haldex oil. From previous experience once you enter checkout ebay can slap another shipping fee plus custom clearance charge which is often more than the product cost. Can't get out of the transaction unless seller cancels order.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OIL-FILTER-Haldex-1-generation-Quattro-Audi-TT-A3-S3-VW-Golf-Skoda-Seat/183194910618?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

jim
Mods underway!

schattenblau

Quote from: benckj on May 29, 2018, 01:15:31 PM
Yea $150 isn't too bad all things considered. I'm just use to doing my own work and closest Audi dealership is 1+hr away.
jim

fair enough when you factor in that 1 hour travel time.

benckj

Travel time isn't much compared to taking wife out for lunch & shopping in Q'twn!

Looks like I can get the Haldex oil, filter and tool for around $100/delivered. As wife will pick up car next week I'll wait until I can review service history plus sight filter. Have heard multiple stories about dealers charging for Haldex service and not completing job.
Mods underway!

heylinb4nz

Yeah I was told mine (2007 mk2) didnt have a filter or was a lifetime filter (not serviceable) so they just changed oil, ill certainly be demanding it next time.

benckj

Maybe that?s why you got the service so cheap? The filter is the expensive part as oil is around $20usd.

If I require a Haldex service I'll be ordering the kit soon so I can complete job ASAP. Might be an opportunity to get several tubes of oil and pay minimal shipping. Do you think others would be interested or do most people take their cars to dealership?
Mods underway!

Worms

YouShop don't ship oil... unless it slips through.

Check what you are getting for the $150 - according to VW, the MK5 haldexs don't need a filter (but why not do it anyway - it's easy!), but the mk4 do.

benckj

For the oil and filter it's $75usd including shipping from Poland so don't have to worry about Youshop.  I've been stung before though as sometime ebay loads more onto the bill when you move from cart to payment. Might give it a crack and see how it pans out. This is a major service item that needs attention in 20k intervals which is approx. every two years with my service interval.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OIL-FILTER-Haldex-1-generation-Quattro-Audi-TT-A3-S3-VW-Golf-Skoda-Seat/183194910618?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Mods underway!

GLIDN

Quote from: heylinb4nz on May 30, 2018, 03:20:25 PM
Yeah I was told mine (2007 mk2) didnt have a filter or was a lifetime filter (not serviceable) so they just changed oil, ill certainly be demanding it next time.

There is a filter, the idiot dealers in NZ, cannot find a part number. So claim it as a lifetime warranty. There is a certain procedure to follow so the filter can come out. It does require ODIS, VAS or VCDS as part of the filter replacement process.

Benckj - are you referring to Gen 1, 2 or 4 haldex service?
What I posted for Heylinb4nz, applies to Gen 2 and 4 haldex.

as others have mentioned, oils etc, often cannot be shipped. So you may never see them if ordered internationally.
For sake of $100-140 for OEM genuine fluid you could get within an hour or two, I would just get it locally myself.
Saving all the hassle on importing dangerous goods (oils etc)

Filter and tools can be bought abroad if you feel that way inclined however.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

benckj

I?m referring to a Mk1 or gen 1 version Haldex, I believe. It has a filter and requires replacement every other oil change (20k). I?ve had oil shipped before and not listed as DG. Might give it a crack and see how I go.
Mods underway!

GLIDN

Quote from: benckj on June 06, 2018, 07:41:19 PM
I’m referring to a Mk1 or gen 1 version Haldex, I believe. It has a filter and requires replacement every other oil change (20k). I’ve had oil shipped before and not listed as DG. Might give it a crack and see how I go.

Correct, the Gen 1 has an "Official" part number listed.
Haldex service is officially every 45,000kms, dealers tell customers ever 60,000kms.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning