DSG oil/filter service

Started by flying_sandman, May 29, 2018, 02:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benckj

Managed to move forward with this essential maintenance item. After finding a 14mm allen socket at work I cracked open the drain and was able to confirm my adapter/filler plug will work and I do indeed have the later blue riser pipe for setting correct level in the gearbox. Drained away approx. 1/2l of fluid and its looking rather dark. Hopefully, I can tackle job this weekend now.

Also going to drop engine oil and filter.  According to the stickers it was done around 1,000kms ago but I don't trust workshops that I have not dealt with before. Removing the bash plate has turned into another challenge as it uses a rather large star bit to pull the large holding bolts. Could not find a bit so used decent pipe wrench to extract. Planned on finding replacement hex head but not much luck so will probably weld a decent size head onto existing bolts. Of the fun of owning an AUDI!

Just to list essential tools for the oil/filter replace received from the UK forum.

QuoteTo remove the undertray;
M14 splined for the 2 large bolts
Torx T45 for the larger torx (mine have been replaced by 12mm head bolts)
Torx T25 for the smaller ones
Flat screw driver for the 4 quick release wheel arch fittings

To change the oil filter;
6mm hex to undo the filter housing drain
36mm socket to undo the housing
19mm socket for the sump plug
2004-Audi TT 3.2l Quattro
Mods underway!

The Red Warrior

I know you're not in a rush, but Sulco stock all those items individaully.

benckj

Sucessful day with engine oil and filter replaced. All looked fine but believe it was probably 1 litre over full. Moved onto the DSG and dropped that oil. Found blue level pipe loose and from the looks of it missing an O ring. Changed trans filter and filled box with approx 5.7 litres of DCT Penrite synthetic oil.

After taking for a test drive I spun car around on ramps and had a poke around the backside. Found the Haldex filter and it?s black nylon so guessing it was changed at 40k. Going to order oil for doing that job in Spring.  Car is looking up.
Mods underway!

GLIDN

Quote from: benckj on July 28, 2018, 08:25:37 PM
Sucessful day with engine oil and filter replaced. All looked fine but believe it was probably 1 litre over full. Moved onto the DSG and dropped that oil. Found blue level pipe loose and from the looks of it missing an O ring. Changed trans filter and filled box with approx 5.7 litres of DCT Penrite synthetic oil.

After taking for a test drive I spun car around on ramps and had a poke around the backside. Found the Haldex filter and it’s black nylon so guessing it was changed at 40k. Going to order oil for doing that job in Spring.  Car is looking up.

nice work bud.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

benckj

Thanks for that. Good to get some feedback as this forum is rather dead.

Engine/gearbox is looking good at this point and I've ordered 2 tubes of Haldex super dooper oil. It was only $20USD/ea with $7 shipping. Figured at 20k change interval best to have a spare on hand.  Coming from Poland so will let you know when it arrives.
Mods underway!

Blastoise

Quote from: benckj on August 02, 2018, 02:48:42 PM
Thanks for that. Good to get some feedback as this forum is rather dead.

Engine/gearbox is looking good at this point and I've ordered 2 tubes of Haldex super dooper oil. It was only $20USD/ea with $7 shipping. Figured at 20k change interval best to have a spare on hand.  Coming from Poland so will let you know when it arrives.

HI there, just wondering if the 2 tubes you used for the Haldex change was actually legit and you actually used it? I am considering changing my Haldex oil and filter as I don't know when mine was last done, and its probably overdue.
Qualitat are selling their Haldex oil for $69+gst from memory, so just wondering if its the same stuff they use. Let me know. Cheers

benckj

Yes, all legit OEM Haldex oil. Think it came from Poland and only took a couple weeks. No problems at all using apart from finding a cracked alloy crush washer on the drain. Had to install oil, then drop again later and put back into tube so I could install a new washer and refill. Best be prepared next time but not a hard job at all.

I need to order the filter and service tool next which will cost a bit. Think the eBay seller had for $69 and tool was approx. $35. Hoping to get from same supplier as he doesn't charge a Kings ransom for postage.
Mods underway!

Blastoise

Thanks for that, I happened to send a message to Borgwarnershop on ebay and they said to purchase this oil:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OIL-FILTER-Quattro-Audi-TT-A3-S3-VW-Golf-Skoda-Seat-4-HALDEX/182288517084?hash=item2a713e07dc:g:s9UAAOSwPCVX4lga:rk:27:pf:0
and to purchase this filter https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OIL-FILTER-Quattro-Audi-TT-A3-S3-VW-Golf-Skoda-Seat-02D-598-574/171354300249?hash=item27e5831f59:g:JS4AAOSwoydWql0g:rk:13:pf:0

I have a 2004 A3 3.2 quattro which I believe has the second generation Haldex. But they have the bottle and not the tubes it seems. Ill keep searching in the mean time before I place an order.

But just getting a quote from Qualitat they quote the oil at $69 +gst per litre and the filter is $62 +gst which comes out to about $146. Ebay is US$99 for oil and filter, so thats like NZ$146 plus shipping. Buying direct from Qualitat seems the easier choice, thats if I have the right oil

Blastoise

And  just to follow up it looks like the MK5 golf R32 and Audi A3/TT with the 3.2 engines have the generation 2 haldex and need part code: G055175A2 which is 1 x 1L of fluid. Where as generation 1 like the m4k golf  uses part number: G-052-175-A1 and only requires 1 x 250ml tube of fluid.

Which fluid did you purchase benckj?

benckj

Quote from: Blastoise on March 16, 2019, 10:23:56 PM
And  just to follow up it looks like the MK5 golf R32 and Audi A3/TT with the 3.2 engines have the generation 2 haldex and need part code: G055175A2 which is 1 x 1L of fluid. Where as generation 1 like the m4k golf  uses part number: G-052-175-A1 and only requires 1 x 250ml tube of fluid.

Which fluid did you purchase benckj?
Mine is a 2005 3.2l TT and it took the 250ml Haldex fluid.  I believe mine is generation 2 which is contrary to the information above.  I followed the info on the UK TT forum as well as service manual purchased on-line.  My filter is the single cap type unlike the first link posted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Engine-Oil-Filter-For-Audi-TT-Quattro-VW-Golf-Haldex-Coupling-02D525558A/182025746064?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Db4a07aef219b4c37a28a5616e02eae6e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D182288517084%26itm%3D182025746064&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Mods underway!

benckj

After repling to this thread I have gone ahead and ordered 2 Haldex filters for myself (ie $35NZD). Using the US free shipping option and Youshop to deliver to NZ might have landed here for around $50.

Still don't have the tool to remove/install filter but will probably make something to suit if nothing comes up. The ones overseas seem excessively priced when you add in shipping to NZ.

This link shows the whole process including filter & oil used.

http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/changing_the_audi_quatro_haldex.htm
Mods underway!

benckj

Just as a matter on interest Youshop charged $12.5NZD to ship the 2 filters from States. Not bad especially since the domestic US shipping was free. 9-14day arrival.
Mods underway!

brian

Quote from: benckj on March 22, 2019, 08:39:29 AM
Just as a matter on interest Youshop charged $12.5NZD to ship the 2 filters from States. Not bad especially since the domestic US shipping was free. 9-14day arrival.

Youshop must have made a mistake...............they always charge me $21 and a bit, for the smallest of packages.
I always thought of them as rip off merchants and a conveyor of last resort
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

benckj

I've only done a couple of shipments through them and so far I've been very impressed. I opted for the slow boat as 9-14days transit was fine for me.
Mods underway!

benckj

Haldex filters arrived today. Won't change until I hit 60k on clock as I'll do oil as well. Now I need to make a tool to use as cheapest I can find on-line is $35 + much the same for shipping. Shouldn't be too hard to knock up something that will work.
Mods underway!