Police seek motorcyclists who sped away at more than 300km/h

Started by RS ZWEI, June 05, 2018, 03:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Warrior

Quote from: Stickman on June 11, 2018, 10:44:49 AM
I call BS on the "speeding away at 300kph" bit. Any punter who has owned a Jappa litre bike or two will know that they are speed limited to 299 due to the Jap "gentleman's agreement" between manufacturers. Also - that's an indicated speed, not a true land speed. In saying that, many of the latest litre bikes will crack 300kph with ease - S1000rr, Yamaha R1/R1m etc. all over 200hp machines.

As for the comments on cars kill most bike riders (paraphrased) - I call BS on that too, at least for the sportsbike community. Between 19 and 28 I owned quite a few sportsbikes of varying kinds. I also had a large group of friends that I rode with. We used to often do the "Coro GP" - loop around the Coromandel plus other choice roads. of 14 of us, 7 are now dead, all during that phase of life. All were killed on their bikes and their riding was a contributing factor to their deaths. Usually speed.

I miss the speeds and the power of riding a fast bike, but don't miss the risk. I recall getting home after some of those rides and feeling a sense of relief when I parked back in the garage, knowing that it was a very real reality that I may not have made it home. It was fun but sketchy. between 28 and 31 I "grew up" and kept the fast riding for the track, however this lost the appeal after going to track day after track day on my own as I was the only one left on a bike, so I swapped to motocross. Also, now with 3 kids and a couple of significant businesses to run, the sense of responsibility definitely weighs on my shoulders more than in those younger years. It scares the life out of me that one of my kids may have the speed bug like I did. I can already see it in one of my daughters.

Wow! Reading this I think, yep that was me too. Meeting up at the Mobil in Drury on Sunday mornings for the Coro GP as you put it. That would have been almost 20 years ago now and though I do miss the speed and power of litre sportbikes, I know it would only be a matter of time before I had another big crash as I just wouldn't be able to help myself from thrashing it. I was lucky to get away with my life after smashing into an ex petrol station as you come into Katikati from the North. I also know about a handful of mates that have died on their bikes from those days.

Stickman

Quote from: The Red Warrior on June 11, 2018, 07:33:06 PM
Wow! Reading this I think, yep that was me too. Meeting up at the Mobil in Drury on Sunday mornings for the Coro GP as you put it. That would have been almost 20 years ago now and though I do miss the speed and power of litre sportbikes, I know it would only be a matter of time before I had another big crash as I just wouldn't be able to help myself from thrashing it. I was lucky to get away with my life after smashing into an ex petrol station as you come into Katikati from the North. I also know about a handful of mates that have died on their bikes from those days.

The irony is that I got off road/track bikes for safety reasons having never had a serious crash - including several large tank slappers north of 200kph only to have a pretty bad crash at Woodhill on the motocross bike on my third time riding it - my third time ever on dirt. Still recovering from that one 4 years later.

I agree though - the allure of big bikes is still there, and I will probably buy another soon; however I will never go back to treating the road like a race track. Might treat the race track like a race track though! Miss the feel of high speed on a powerful bike. The RS6 was the first car that I have owned that gave me a close approximation of performance. Pity that was too heavy to track without destroying brake rotors every track day.
I like fast toys.

2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2007 Audi RS4