2010 Passat R36 engine making clicking / ticking noises...HELP!

Started by r36nz, June 15, 2018, 05:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r36nz

Hi everyone

My 2010 VW R36 Passat is making a loud clicking noise coming from the engine. This noise is VERY intermittent and comes and goes. See video of noise below:

https://streamable.com/jrdk6

My immediate thought is that it could be the timing chain or variator. However, I saw a similar noise on a Youtube clip and this was the water pump.

Has anyone got any experience with this noise on a VR6 engine? I don't want to spend 5-8k on the engine strip to find it's not the timing chain!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Poonmobile

Where are you based? Perhaps take it to get scanned and looked at by a mechanic to save on the guesswork!
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

Worms

You can hunt around with a stethoscope with a rigid metal tube jammed in the hose. The water pump is on the opposite end to the chain, plus you have a the HPFP too, which could be an issue.

The upper chain tensioner can be replaced semi-easily in the back of the engine

The VR6's are known to demolish chains - some worse than others. there have been a few 3.2 FSI VR6's in passats for sale with failed chains.

Replacing the chains shouldn't be 5 to 8K... but after a failure it might!

If you're not sure yourself, or not confident in diagnosis, I'd take is to someone who is familiar - continuing to drive it may suddenly result in a problem that you don't want to have happen!

It doesn't sound that bad on my laptop speakers... but it may be quite different in real life!

deedub

That also sounds like a faffed bearing on the intake manifold shift rod. Does it change/ disappear with different RPM? But it could be anything.

The top tensioner is easy to change, and a cheap part - it's not too hard to get to, and just a screw out - screw new one in (after priming it with engine oil).

The lower one is a bitch but it seems the top one that gets noisy and makes the engine sound like a diesel.

You can get the chain wear on VCDS if you are worried about the state of the chains.
1983 T25 Microbus - keep forever, never finish
1988 mk2 Golf 2L 16v - work in progress