TT Interior Upgrades Help

Started by benckj, June 18, 2018, 08:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benckj

Wife got the new 2004 TT home with no issues. 3.2l really hums along so was happy she didn't get any infrigements. Made it over the mountain pass without sliding off like several cars before her so Quattro came in handy.

Drove the car into my work yesterday to look over in comfort. Had a few jobs on the list including, exterior paint seal and some interior work including installing LED's and replacement of the existing aftermarket JVC stereo. Didn't complete everything I wanted to as I had a few minor issues I was wondering if someone could help with. I'll try and attach pics in this message if I can get size small enough to include. Not even sure what original music system I have apart from knowing it is not a Bose.

LED's
Managed to get all replaced except the side dome lights above rear view mirror. Turns out the bayenet fitting bulbs are reversed polarity on Audi module with negative on center pin and positive on outer filament body. This doesn't matter with conventional bulbs but LED's are polarity specific. It seems very odd that the dome lighting unit is wired this way and I'm tempted to swap around connector. Hate to smoke it up as there are some switch's and a circuit board within. Any ideas on what to do?

Stereo HU
Car had an aftermarket JVC HU installed which was rubbish. I had a half decent Pioneer from my MR2 that I want to install in its place. At least it has crisper power and a USB input. Took a little while to extract the JVC and once pulled free it disclosed the wiring spagatti mess. Thought a simple jumper would be used but there was a combo of jumper and other wires spliced into loom. Figured most out except a blue one which terminated into the FM antenna adapter and an orange one that has be a bit baffled. I also wonder if the speakers are all used as although all four outputs are connected through jumper I notice only two are used in Audi plug.   

Perhaps I need to look around for a decent wiring diagram to help understand the circuits.
2004-Audi TT 3.2l Quattro
Mods underway!

heylinb4nz

for LEDs the easiest solution would be to get a bayonet to W5W adaptor, screw the bayonet in as is, and the W5W can simply be plugged in any way to match the polarity. Ive also seen COB panel led that have a bayonet fitting, the COB panel has double sided tape to mount in place of a regular bulb. As for the stereo, id be tempted to bypass the speaker wiring and rewire new, will involve getting door cards off but a great chance to add some dynamat and treat the doors.

VW'n

For pics I use imgur.
Up load pic to imgur then copy the bb code under the links tab of the pic.
Paste bb code into your forum post and picture should show when you post.
I can't seem to make it work using their app so I just go to the web page.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

VW'n

Also congratulations on the new car!
You sound like a passionate car enthusiast.
The first few months of new car ownership is my favorite part, working through all the little details to make it your own.
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)

schattenblau

you can add attachments from your computer to posts with the following limits...

under the reply box click Attachments and other options

Allowed file types: html, txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, mpg, png, wmv
Restrictions: 2 per post, maximum total size 200KB, maximum individual size 120KB

VW'n

Quote from: schattenblau on June 18, 2018, 10:08:32 PM
you can add attachments from your computer to posts with the following limits...

Restrictions: 2 per post, maximum total size 200KB, maximum individual size 120KB

Good to know, I have edited my post.
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)

benckj

Quote from: schattenblau on June 18, 2018, 10:08:32 PM

Have tried this but not working as it once did. Some message about having 'the upload folder full and should contact system administrator'.

On the LED's I've gained some traction. I still have some old bayonet fittings with a flying lead I can make work. After digging through net found many others with this same problem. Raised a dispute with Aliexpress on the issue as the kit I bought is TT specific. Might get a couple with reverse polarity supplied.

With the stereo update I'll get the system working as wired for time being as I have a deadline to meet (wifes b'day). I really don't think the stock speakers are very flash so I'll upgrade later and tear doors apart. Looks like the rear speakers are non-existent so may need to evaluate that option.  Busy trying to create a decent USB with the ol girls favourite MP3 music.

Picking up my other Audi wheel/tyre combo today from Mainfreight depot. Hopefully, I can get installed this weekend plus finish stereo and possibly the side decals. Not sure exactly what I'll do with other graphics as its the wife's call. Going to play that one by ear as it can always be removed or changed.

thanks for all the help once again. Started to lose faith in this forum as it seemed rather dead.

Mods underway!

heylinb4nz

Quote from: benckj on June 19, 2018, 02:41:08 PM
Have tried this but not working as it once did. Some message about having 'the upload folder full and should contact system administrator'.

On the LED's I've gained some traction. I still have some old bayonet fittings with a flying lead I can make work. After digging through net found many others with this same problem. Raised a dispute with Aliexpress on the issue as the kit I bought is TT specific. Might get a couple with reverse polarity supplied.

With the stereo update I'll get the system working as wired for time being as I have a deadline to meet (wifes b'day). I really don't think the stock speakers are very flash so I'll upgrade later and tear doors apart. Looks like the rear speakers are non-existent so may need to evaluate that option.  Busy trying to create a decent USB with the ol girls favourite MP3 music.

Picking up my other Audi wheel/tyre combo today from Mainfreight depot. Hopefully, I can get installed this weekend plus finish stereo and possibly the side decals. Not sure exactly what I'll do with other graphics as its the wife's call. Going to play that one by ear as it can always be removed or changed.

thanks for all the help once again. Started to lose faith in this forum as it seemed rather dead.

TT Forum UK and the TT Wak Guide is a great technical resource...for TTs anyway :)

brian

Quote from: benckj on June 19, 2018, 02:41:08 PM

It has been abnormally quiet here lately
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

benckj

I?ve been using the TT UK forum on a daily basis. Lots of good info and help. Still trying to get my head around this German machine.
Mods underway!