New 1985 golf.

Started by ATOM1C, June 21, 2018, 08:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATOM1C

Hey guys I'm new here.
I've just purchased a 85 mk2 golf and iam looking at doing a over haul. Looking into engines and i have been directed in the way of the vr6.
Iam really fresh to this stuff so excuse my lack of knowledge.
What do you guys think

VW'n

Welcome to the forum.

Any pics of your mk2?
A few questions that will help us recommend the right engine swap for you.
What do you plan on using the car for? Eg daily driver, track day car, weekend fun car etc.
Also are you planning the swap yourself?
What level of mechanical skill do you have? Eg done engine swaps before and love wiring etc.
Some engine swaps into these cars can be relatively simple. Eg 2L bottom end using your current head and injection system.
Where as others will require wiring, and changing most engine bay components to fit.
I'm guessing the vr6 would fall into the second category.
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

McDoof

Welcome to the bottomless pit that is the project car.  :)
The VR6 conversion is definitely not the easy way to go, unless you can source a 2.9 VR6 from a Corrado.
Common swaps for the MK2 are normally either a MK3 GTI ABF 16v engine or going with a MK4 GTI 1.8T AGU engine both are relatively inexpensive to source and probably easier to install. Personally I'd go with the ABF. Most conversions are easier if you can get a complete donor car, so that you can get all the needed ancillaries.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

black16v

Bottomless pits indeed. But I think there are a couple of AGU powered MK2's on trademe. All the hard work , frustration and big money is done. I think one is certified. You could do a deal and, as they say, "take it to the next level". Personally I would just go and buy a MK3 VR6 or a MK4 GTi It would be cheaper.
1988 MK II GTI 16V