Ownership experience

Started by lunchie, June 29, 2018, 09:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunchie

Hey all

I am looking at replacing my old whip. 

Managed to get it narrowed down to just a few but would like a little first hand knowledge if possible.

The 5 cars I am considering

Forester XT (turbo) manual 2009-2013 (Third gen) OR Subaru Wagon/estate Wrx 2004-2008 (blob-eye or Hawk-eye)

VW Golf GTI MK 6 2008-2012

Honda Civic Type R (EP3) 2001-2005 OR Honda accord Euro R (CL7) 2002-2008

I have taken all but the civic for a test drive and have been very impressed by each of them in their own ways.

The car will be a daily driver that may have customers in it from time to time for work purposes. 

It needs to be reliable and "reasonable" on fuel as it may get driven a good 200-300kms per week. (ideally not worse than 10kms per ltr)

I know the turbo cars will use a little more gas but I would like to know how much they actually use IRL not just what the specs claim. 

Before I go any further though I would like to speak with someone who own(s/d) any of these models. 

Most specifically I am after the following information

- What is the fuel economy like/Can my target of 10kms per ltr be achieved realistically with sensible driving?

- Has it been reliable?

- Is it comfortable and presentable inside (would you have any issues putting a customer or other guest in the car)?

- What has the service costs been like?

- Anything significant you think a new owner should know before buying one?

- Any other info / overall personal experience of owning the car so far?

Please feel free to post your reply info in thread or email me at [email protected] or text me on 027-3925842

I have also posted this up on the ClubSub(Subaru) and NZ Hondas forum just to cover my bases. 

Thank you in advance for anyone that contributes to the discussion.

:) :) :)

schattenblau

golf gti is unbeatable as an all-rounder.

best handling of the cars you mentioned, reliable, many to choose from, cheap to buy and run.

classiest too, your customers will be impressed.

:laugh:

lunchie

Quote from: schattenblau on June 29, 2018, 09:57:32 PM
golf gti is unbeatable as an all-rounder.

best handling of the cars you mentioned, reliable, many to choose from, cheap to buy and run.

classiest too, your customers will be impressed.

:laugh:

Hey thanks for that, have you owned one of the mk6's or any other model? Do you have any recollection of actual fuel numbers ? Would be greatly appreciated :D

schattenblau

hi,

i had an nz new 2005 mk5 gti for 7 years.

http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,43964.0.html

running costs about half that of my sti v6.   
the only things that broke during my ownershio were a rear door lock and the AC compressor $$$$.

except for straightline speed the golf was a better car in every way

over the 7 years average fuel economy (mainly city driving) was 10.69L/100km.

;D

a mk6 gti should be a little thriftier (factory quotes 7.5L/100km vs. a mk5 7.9).

the mk6 got a new chain drive motor ea888, modified suspension with adaptive dampers optional.
standard was the xds electronic fake lsd.
interior was freshened up, arguably a bit cheaper looking than a mk5, which was a much more expensive car to build.

ironically the best mk6 gti, the edition 35 retained the older belt drive ea113 motor from the mk5.

pistonhead's mk6 buying guide

https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-buying-guides/vw-golf-gti-mk6--ph-used-buying-guide/37841

slowmo

I?ve owned my Mk6 GTI since 2014 at 45k kms. Its now done 132k kms and has been very reliable. I?ve not really taken any measurements of actual fuel usage throughout my ownership but a $40 fill usually gets me 180-200km in mostly urban and lots of climbing hills - i?m in Wellington after all.

Servicing has been very reasonable, there are some big items that happen every 60k. But regular oil changes are 15k or 1year however I do mine every 6 months.

Having owned a MK5 previously (GTI and R32), the interior is much nicer and feels more expensive.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Filx

Mk6 GTI owner as well. Love the cars and the TSI motor is great, budget to change the cam chain tensioner which I would suggest is essential preventative maintenance, especially on earlier MK6 MY09 and MY10 cars.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Naekyr

I used to get between 9.5km/L and 10.7km/L per tank depending on traffic conditions on a stage 2 tuned MK6 GTI (200kW/380nm)

Fuel consumption really depends where and when you drive it, if its stop/go traffic you get 5 to 7km/L while you are in that traffic, if you are doing 80kmph on a free flowing motorway you're getting about 15km/L

The best I ever managed on a tank was 11km/L, this was because for that tank I was doing more motorway driving than I usually do

digginz

I currently have a mk6 gti, and recently had a Stage 1+ tune. 

I've come from the Subaru world, (v7 STI Wagon) so might be able to give some info on the differences between the two:

GTI has been pretty reliable so far, no major problems.  Although there are reported issues of the Tensioner and timing chain stretch, I've has this updated to the new revisions.  So if this hasn't been done, you may need to factor it into the price...
The GTI interior is far superior to the Subaru, quality/materials are top notch and overall a nicer place to be.

The AWD in the Subaru was great though, I had traction for days in that.  Where in the GTI it's very easy to get the wheels spinning.
Boost in the STI was like a smack in the face at 3500-4000rpm with the turbo lag, where the GTI has a very gradual power band, feels more NA.

The STI was pretty reliable but I wouldn't have it as a daily, i'd be lucky to get 450k on a tank, where in the GTI I'd be getting around 650ish k's.

thomas.dq

Here is my fuel log, limited detail though - should have also recorded litres filled...

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AuYgWp7gJjtigsNNnF58vlKkQTnUqg
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI

GLIDN

owned my mk5 gti for 7.5 years and travelled 125,000kms in it. tuned all the way to 207kw / 380Nm.
Owned my mk6 gti for 8 months travelled 23,000kms in that time. Tuned to 215Kw / 395Nm.

Both cars were great in their own way.
Only time my fuel consumption was bad was when the thermostat went on my mk5 gti.

As you're looking at the mk6 gti however, I'll reference accordingly.

Great all round car, fuel consumption was surprisingly good, town or open road. Around town averaged 12-13km/l even after being tuned.
Ran a 13.9 Second quarter mile at meremere trap speed of 103.6mph (no launch control used)
When I sold the car I had to drive it down to wellington for the new owner. That was one seriously fun drive, but still managed 723kms to 1 tank of gas. After tuning the car no longer ran as rich as stock mapping did.

Was never a handful and always comfortable. Until the day I installed H&R springs. Within the same weak it damaged both front guards. Removed H&R springs and went back to stock height. Sold the car around the same time. So never had the opportunity to install ST springs.

drive all the cars on your list and pick the car you want that will fit your needs and enjoyment.
Regardless of how well the Civic handles or is drivers car.

Owning my share of both Foresters, Legacy's and Impreza's, I'll be semi bias towards owning a VW myself.
I want a car I can enjoy and also live with happily. Which I was never able to accomplish with the Subaru range.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Naekyr

What are you driving now Hennie?

Filx

Quote from: digginz on July 27, 2018, 02:04:33 PM
The AWD in the Subaru was great though, I had traction for days in that.  Where in the GTI it's very easy to get the wheels spinning.
Boost in the STI was like a smack in the face at 3500-4000rpm with the turbo lag, where the GTI has a very gradual power band, feels more NA.

Tires make a big difference, obviously not quite the traction of AWD cars but on my wife's Mk6 when she went from her older Pirelli's to the Michelin PS4s the car was so much better at putting the power down.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

digginz

Tires make a big difference, obviously not quite the traction of AWD cars but on my wife's Mk6 when she went from her older Pirelli's to the Michelin PS4s the car was so much better at putting the power down.
Quote from: Filx on August 02, 2018, 07:23:35 AM

Agreed, when I first got the car it came with rubbish Eco Tires, have since updated to Bridgestone Potenza S001.  So much better with power and all round handling.  Still manage to get the wheels spinning with  Stage 1+ tune.

dummer

Naekyr

GLIDN

Quote from: Naekyr on August 01, 2018, 03:13:10 PM
What are you driving now Hennie?

Got another mk6 GTI a few weeks back, went completely to town with it, in the first week and half of owning it.
Unitronic Stage 2+ (K04 turbo)
Untronic Stage 2 DSG
Relentless coil overs
Unitronic intake
Unitronic Turbo back exhaust
Currently 235kw @ front wheels

Been an awesome car to be fair, no rattling in cabin at all. Not even over bumps either.
Fuel consumption is actually rather astonishing, done 5 trips from the north shore to airport now over the past few weeks. Fuel consumption average 14.8-14.9km/l. Have also travelled a little under 2000kms in 3.5 weeks in the car. So I monitor my fuel consumption closely.

Once the Yokohama AD08R tyres are warm they are not a bad tyre. But cannot wait to get back on PS4's again. Not PS4S.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning