Engine builders - recommendations

Started by k3zza, July 03, 2018, 09:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k3zza

Hi VASK,

Just wanted to get some recommendations on engine builders for an ASJ bi-turbo V6 from a 2000 B5 RS4.

Backstory:
Purchased the written off red B5 RS4 from Turners last year with the intent to put the motor into my 2000 B5 S4.

After delaying for ages, finally pulled the motor and delivered it to a reputable engine company in Auckland. They then stripped down the motor and inspected the condition. The report came back good, however they recommended for my build that I re-condition the motor while it's in pieces to ensure reliability at my HP goals (i.e. rehone, resurface etc.).

Unfortunately, the price they gave is beyond my build budget and I'm keen to shop around before splashing that amount of cash on this build.

Can you guys please recommend any engine builders in Auckland that could do a re-condition and re-assemble?  Also where do you guys normally get your consumables such as gaskets from? Continental seem like they marking up the price quite a bit.

As an aside, the motor could be for sale for the right price. The build is potentially stretching beyond budget and could let it go for less. Don't know what market value is, so getting a feel for what market would be willing to pay. PM with interest.
00 B5 S4

spanksy

I've used Taylor Automotive and HyTech Engines (Manukau), and rate both.

Re consumables, use FCPEuro mostly.  Bear in mind that an engine builder can often get the parts cheaper, faster and more accurately than you can (read: for a couple of bucks it's not always worth it).

How written off was the B5 RS4? They're a rare beast now.