VW dials back the Golf R

Started by the phantom, July 09, 2018, 01:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the phantom

VW has announced that the MK7.5 Golf R will be 10 hp less powerful due to emission regs, also the manual and three door options are to be dropped due to poor customer demand

http://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/21458/volkswagen-golf-r-power-reduced-due-to-new-wltp-regs?_mout=1&utm_campaign=evo_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Naekyr

This kind of stuff is why I'm moving away from Golfs

Drove a a45 amg, that's what a 4 cylinder hot hatch should sound like

I already find the streering in the MK7 to be worse than the MK6 and now they are reducing power as well to go with factory exhausts that make zero sound

slowmo

Quote from: Naekyr on July 09, 2018, 08:36:55 AM
This kind of stuff is why I'm moving away from Golfs

Drove a a45 amg, that's what a 4 cylinder hot hatch should sound like

I already find the streering in the MK7 to be worse than the MK6 and now they are reducing power as well to go with factory exhausts that make zero sound

I have to agree, i?ve been struggling to find an upgrade for our mk6 Golf. We test drove the mk7 GTI performance and mk7 R and didn?t really enjoy them.

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Naekyr

I'm struggling too, really depends what your price range is too

So far I'm finding that I might just end up sticking with the MK6, like you I've driven the MK7 & 7.5 GTI and R now didn't enjoy them either

Also tested the a45 amg and rs3, trying to find a m140i to test next

What else have you been testing, found anything interesting I should check out?

I guess I'm being a little bit picky, I like my Mk6 GTI and I expect my next car to improve on this without sacrificing anything and without having to modify anything and its difficult to find a car that offers that 

It's unfortunate that the engine in the a45 amg was disappointing, because I was fairly impressed with everything else in that package 

schattenblau

no doubt the will be more casualties under WLTP.

i also looked at the mk7 gti and found it competent but a bit boring after the mk5 and laden with too much useless stuff.

so it was back to basics with the regie.

;D

McDoof

So what they are saying is that, if you fit a fatter exhaust to the car it will get the power back.
Will NZ be getting tested using WLTP in the near future? Or is the the end of the modified car?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Filx

Watch for manual trans and 3 door Golf Rs to be the sought after model in years to come.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

brian

Quote from: McDoof on July 09, 2018, 03:59:43 PM
So what they are saying is that, if you fit a fatter exhaust to the car it will get the power back.
Will NZ be getting tested using WLTP in the near future? Or is the the end of the modified car?

IKwouldn't worry about it. With the way things are going you will not be allowed to have a car and will  be ordered onto a bicycle or public transport at gun point.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

heylinb4nz

News like this make me sad but also its great for enthusiasts like us, as our cars become all that more interesting when out on the road surrounded by water crackers and cheese.