UP GTI in NZ?

Started by Filx, July 09, 2018, 04:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filx

Does anyone know if the UP GTI will be available in NZ?
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

rambo_005

EMD never sold the standard up! so probably not. Skoda briefly sold the Citigo but it was a bit of a flop.

May get some GTIs via Japan?

Filx

rambo_005

Filx

I can't help thinking they'd do OK in NZ - if they could get the price under (or close to) $30K for the up! GTI what rivals would it have in NZ? Swift Sport I guess might be the closest but is there any other direct competitor? Just do the GTI, ignore the cooking models and look to use it to develop the youth market.

But yeah, it would probably make no economic sense and even if it happened knowing NZ they'd only bring in 5 door autos.

Back to shopping from Japan I guess.

the phantom

pricing is an issue, EMD didn't bring the UP! to NZ because they couldn't get the price down sufficiently in auto form
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

rambo_005

Quote from: the phantom on July 11, 2018, 08:53:21 AM
pricing is an issue, EMD didn't bring the UP! to NZ because they couldn't get the price down sufficiently in auto form

I can't see any reason why they couldn't have priced it only slightly higher than the Citigo was able to be priced at; there's really not much difference, other than the up! having an all-glass hatch.

brian

Quote from: the phantom on July 11, 2018, 08:53:21 AM

The Auto  was rubbish anyway.
I would have had one in manual form, had to switch to a Fabia instead. Probably better buy anyway although it is a bit bigger than I really wanted.

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Filx

Is Ford bringing the new 3 pot Fiesta ST to NZ? That looks to be a bit of a cracker as well.