Torn between dealer service and taking the risk on warranty excess

Started by Chchgti35, June 02, 2018, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chchgti35

Just had service done yesterday, $511. Wondering if I should take the risk for the sake of $500 excess on warranty claims and have it serviced outside dealer network next time. They didnt even wash it which I thought was odd? Gave me a 60k car to drive around in though although I only travelled 30km, always a gamble with warranty?s. That was without pollen filter which I will do myself along with air filter. It would have been another $90 for pollen filter. It has sub 75k on the clock and they tell me the cambelt is due, book says 180km and no time period mentioned.

schattenblau

that's a bit slack.
my car always got a comp wash, even when in  just for a wof.
plus they price match non-franchise quotes

:laugh:

what warranty do you have ?
factory, after-market/third party ?
do they stipulate dealer servicing ?

slowmo

Why would you want a free wash? They will probably use a dirty sponge and cause swirls on your paint.

I actually specifically tell them to not clean my car.   :laugh:
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Chchgti35

It?s a VW warranty, if serviced outside VW network any claims carry $500 excess, otherwise zero excess if serviced within network.
Quote from: schattenblau on June 02, 2018, 02:06:19 PM
that's a bit slack.
my car always got a comp wash, even when in  just for a wof.
plus they price match non-franchise quotes

what warranty do you have ?
factory, after-market/third party ?
do they stipulate dealer servicing ?

schattenblau

Quote from: slowmo on June 02, 2018, 06:57:39 PM
Why would you want a free wash? They will probably use a dirty sponge and cause swirls on your paint.

ditto but dealer here has a fancy brushless car washing machine

Naekyr

Quote from: slowmo on June 02, 2018, 06:57:39 PM

This, if I get it dealer services I tell them not to wash the car, I've got a mate that works at a dealership - I've seen how they treat cars and I don't want them touching my paint with their crap

That's why you can find swirls even on brand new cars that haven't even left the dealership..

thomas.dq

Screw the dealers.

Go outside to a reputable place and pay the excess if something comes up.
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI

McDoof

The cambelt thing is always a bit of a funny one. All the published literature says 180k km, but then all the dealers say that it should also be done every 4 years. The service book says it should have a visual inspection done every 4 years, but also no mention of it needing to get replaced.
Maybe just the dealers reading between the lines (making stuff up) to make some extra $$$
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Worms

I suspect if the dealer "inspects" it at 4 years, and says it's fine, but it then breaks... there are going to be questions and expected cost-covering.

Much safer for them to say to replace it.

Personally, I'd be wary of running more than 5 years - the potential failure cost is much higher than replacing it. Of course I wouldn't trust the dealer to do it right, so I'd end up doing it myself!

I used to do the belt on Dads E30 325i every 5 years - it wasn't unusual for it to have only done 30K on a belt, water pump and tensioner. Of course BMW parts are far more reasonable than VW ones, too!

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

schattenblau

Quote from: McDoof on June 05, 2018, 10:34:55 AM
The cambelt thing is always a bit of a funny one. All the published literature says 180k km, but then all the dealers say that it should also be done every 4 years. The service book says it should have a visual inspection done every 4 years, but also no mention of it needing to get replaced.
Maybe just the dealers reading between the lines (making stuff up) to make some extra $$$

^ agree

the guy who bought my gti did some research and found;
- my local dealer, who has serviced the car from new, told him with it's low usage to follow the book.
- his nearest big town dealer said change now, this dealer's quote was also a couple of hundred more than other quotes

???