Unsure on paint care/polishing etc

Started by Chchgti35, July 14, 2018, 01:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chchgti35

I have a Red GTi Mk6 in red and when applyling a small amount of polish recently in inconspicuous spot (tester) the cloth picked up a red tinge, I assume being non metallic it will not have clear coat layer so is this polish okay to use or just a straight wax i.e turtle wax or similar? It is still fairly shiny but not new car shiny so would just like to get it really gleaming plus its due for a coat or wax anyway as water doesn?t bead on it now.

Naekyr

What type of cloth did you use? What type of polish? And is this the original paintwork?

Has the vehicle being standing outside for it's life? Any peeling on the paint or white blotches/circles appearing?

this vehicle should be tornado red right? looking at other forums, it should have a clearcoat

and looking at this: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/volkswagen/2013/gti/

my car is "deep black pearl", its not listed as metallic and yet mine has a nice thick clear coat, I've had it measured

If you were in Auckland I'd say take it to OCD, they have a tool that can tell you if there is any clearcoat and also how thick it is but not sure about CHCH - but I suppose any detailing shop down there could do the same, they'd check this before they starting polishing any car

Something else you could try is to polish the same area again and see if the amount of red coming off starts to reduce or stop completely, if no more red comes off then you've just removed the oxidized layer of old paint, exposing clean paint underneath - as long as no more keeps coming off then I'd say you can keep polishing to get it shiny - without seeing it in person I suspect though that if you are only polishing a single area that area may become visibly more shiny than the rest of the car

Trofeo

Most cars since the 80s have had clear coats. Some as early as the late 70s.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Chchgti35

Quote from: Naekyr on July 16, 2018, 08:27:33 AM
What type of cloth did you use? What type of polish? And is this the original paintwork?
Hi thanks for that, no its not been standing outside for a long spell as far as I can tell, paintwork is original. I will check with the dealer re clear coat. It was just a Simoniz wax polish nothing fancy. I had a BMW which had terrible clear coat issues but this was not original finish so I know what you are referring to there, nothing like that. The car only has 78 thousand on it and in NZ new. Dealer (VW franchise) tried to sell me the paint sealer treatment which I haven?t taken them up on but may consider that to help keep it shiny.
Has the vehicle being standing outside for it's life? Any peeling on the paint or white blotches/circles appearing?

this vehicle should be tornado red right? looking at other forums, it should have a clearcoat

and looking at this: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/volkswagen/2013/gti/

my car is "deep black pearl", its not listed as metallic and yet mine has a nice thick clear coat, I've had it measured

If you were in Auckland I'd say take it to OCD, they have a tool that can tell you if there is any clearcoat and also how thick it is but not sure about CHCH - but I suppose any detailing shop down there could do the same, they'd check this before they starting polishing any car

Something else you could try is to polish the same area again and see if the amount of red coming off starts to reduce or stop completely, if no more red comes off then you've just removed the oxidized layer of old paint, exposing clean paint underneath - as long as no more keeps coming off then I'd say you can keep polishing to get it shiny - without seeing it in person I suspect though that if you are only polishing a single area that area may become visibly more shiny than the rest of the car