Anyone spied this yet?

Started by 5-pot, September 21, 2006, 11:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5-pot

Audi 80 quattro on trademe
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=71066898

Anyone have any idea what it would take to get this sucker up and running?  Sounds like the waterpump is a pain to get to but might be a relatively simple fix?

Whaddya reckon?  Noobie looking to buy first VAG car.
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

underground

IMHO I'd say to ya spend a bit more and try to find a nice 5 banger coupe. Theres heaps of good condition ones and in an unmolested state. And they go forever if well looked after. They tend to be going really cheaply for what they are now, just sold mine a few months ago. They start at about $3K i think. But i havent been keeping an eye on the price lately because im not in the country, so not 100% sure. Anyone else know how much theyre going for?
That 80Q looks like some kid has had it and wanted to take the springs out (or lower it stupidly) and its just been too much of a problem ($$$) for him so hes selling it.

My 2c worth.
Clemo

orggti

Looks a good car for a starter, they are better really than a old 5 pot. The bolts hes talking about always break and it real easy to just replace the whole housing that bolts to the block that the water pump bolts to.

Pristle

I went through the waterpump test myself last year. Easier to buy a new waterpump. The fun came in when removing the pulley bolts, after breaking one I resorted to drilling out the others and putting fresh bolts in.

An 1800 Quattro is uncommon, as they normally came out as 2.3 5-pots, even in 80 guise.

Would I pay $1000, probably......

5-pot

what would a new waterpump and housing cost?  Being VAG I assume it'll empty out your pockets fairly quickly?  would it be a reasonably easy fix?  Sounds like all that needs to be done is the replacement of the housing and waterpump (granted, there's probably going to be a half dozen other things in the way...).
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

Neil_Corrado

$145 + GST exchange, for both W/P and housing.

Pristle

Give yourself about an hour...... The pulley bolt were acquired from a fastening supply co in Penrose. They gave them to me gratis.

orggti

Its a super easy job. when i first did one i seperated the waterpump form the housing on the car ::) wot an idiot. You just crack the fanbelt pully nuts with the belt still on to hold it from spinning then remove the belt then undo the four bolts from the housing to the engine. No need to touch the cambelt or anything. Then on the bench (vice) you can try to undo the actual pump fromt the housing but you can always just buy the whole lot for $145 as Neil says. If the guy whos selling it knew this he probly wouldnt sell it. It looks to be a good car, they are a good car!

Mike

Good car if generally in good nick (i.e. not neglected), but a bit gutless engine wise. Galvanised body will not rust and interior fittings high quality.

And it is a quattro.

1joe

Yep my son bought it. Went up to Clevedon yesterday, fitted a new pump in about 20 Min's & drove it back to Hastings. The guy wasn't very friendly, didn't even offer a drink or anything! Got to cleaning it this morning & the rubbish in it was unbelievable, wasn't expecting to find used nappies jammed under the seat!! It is going for a full valet on Monday. He definitely didn't look after it, just don't know how some people can be such pigs!!

orggti

Is it a good car under all that mess tho?

Pushbutton_auto

Was that out the back of ardmore, a guy and his missus on a farmlet ?
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

1joe

Yep under the grunge there is a good car waiting to come out! Drives really well, nice & tight! The car came from Ness Valley Road.