Buying a Mk5 GTi

Started by Crovalli, July 29, 2018, 03:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crovalli

Hey team,

I'm looking to buy a Mk5 Golf GTi, oldest year I'll be considering is 2007.

I've signed up here mainly to ask what sort of things should I look out for? What are common errors/repairs needed around the 80-90km mark?

Cheers.

Edit: Should probably mention I've never owned a Golf before, have had an Altezza that's died on me/been inherited as a project car

the phantom

also think about the spec you want, NZ new will have a multi-function steering wheel, which most Jap imports lack,but they might be more likely to have leather upholstery

most Golf GTI comparisons across the range do pick the MK5 as the sweet spot, I certainly enjoyed mine while I had it
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Filx

If budget permits you may also want to consider a 30th Edition or Pirelli.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

McDoof

I agree with the above. Pirelli editions are coming down in price and offer a decent performance boost over the stock GTI. Nicer interior too.

NZ new models generally have leather seats, steering wheel controls and a back bumper with space for euro plate. Most have 18" wheels
Jap imports have a better lighting package normally, with HID lights and things like puddle lights under the mirrors. Most have 17" wheels

If you are test driving the car, then I would suggest getting the car warm and then opening the bonnet. Listen for any ticking coming from the right hand side of the engine cover. This noise comes from the cam chain. While it's not normally fatal for the engine, it sounds horrible and gets worse over time. Makes the car sound like a diesel.

Likely things that need replacing are the Diverter valve and the PCV valve and the HPFP cam follower. Worth checking if these have been done at any point.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

DTM

Take your time and shop around try find one with a full service history behind it for peace of mind. A friend of mine bought a 2006 Jap G5 GTI earlier this year with only 15 or16k on the clock. He negotiated the dealer down and paid around $15500.00 for it. Car was practically brand new besides being a 2006 model.

Crovalli

So an update ... .

I ended up finding one through a dealer, which I bought practically straight off the boat (Jap import). Could find anything wrong with it myself, neither could the AA. 2008 Mk5 GTI, 55k kms. Paid just over $13k for the car, ORC, a new ApplePlay headunit (the ones in the Mk7s), and a year of comprehensive insurance.

So far so good - any hidden features on this beast I'll be happy with?

McDoof

Not bad. Nice low mileage.
If you can afford it, I would recommend getting a stage 1 tune done on it.
It really livens up the car.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

schattenblau

did you get a manual or dsg ?

some dsg have launch control   ;D

The Red Warrior

Hidden features?
* Well, there?s the climatronic hidden menu.
* Depending on what version of the RCD330 radio you got there could be up to 4 different volume settings. One for radio, one for navigation, one for Bluetooth and one for something else. Can?t remember, aux in maybe.
* Lights come on automatically when travelling over 140kph in daylight if the light switch is set to auto.
* Rear view mirror dims automatically to stop dazzling from car lights behind when switched on.
* Side mirrors have a heating function that many people don?t realise because the setting on the switch often isn?t visible when in the driver?s seat.
* Blown bulb warning for many of the exterior lights. One of the rear bulbs when blown can send a signal to use the other bulb. Can?t remember if it?s the tail swaps to brake or vice versa. Eg, you blow your right stop light. Car then uses your right rear tail light as brake light by sending higher voltage through it so it glows brighter when you brake. This may need to be turned on using VCDS etc.
* Sun visors can be extended after you un-clip them at the end to move them around. They will extend almost all the way to the B pillar when in line with the front doors. Not that there has been much sun recently ☹️

Probably plenty of others that I can?t remember now.

schattenblau

didn't know about the lights coming on at 140km/h.

rear view auto-dip is in the manual.

ditto side mirror heating, my mk5 didn't have an off position though, just left - heating - right

the bulb switching is also new, mine just flashed up a warning about blown bulb.

lots more when you google golf secret menu

:laugh:

Crovalli

Quote from: schattenblau on August 28, 2018, 07:23:42 PM
did you get a manual or dsg ?

some dsg have launch control   ;D

DSG - Oh, it has launch control ;)

Crovalli

Quote from: The Red Warrior on August 29, 2018, 05:58:05 PM
Hidden features?
* Well, there?s the climatronic hidden menu.
* Depending on what version of the RCD330 radio you got there could be up to 4 different volume settings. One for radio, one for navigation, one for Bluetooth and one for something else. Can?t remember, aux in maybe.
* Lights come on automatically when travelling over 140kph in daylight if the light switch is set to auto.
* Rear view mirror dims automatically to stop dazzling from car lights behind when switched on.
* Side mirrors have a heating function that many people don?t realise because the setting on the switch often isn?t visible when in the driver?s seat.
* Blown bulb warning for many of the exterior lights. One of the rear bulbs when blown can send a signal to use the other bulb. Can?t remember if it?s the tail swaps to brake or vice versa. Eg, you blow your right stop light. Car then uses your right rear tail light as brake light by sending higher voltage through it so it glows brighter when you brake. This may need to be turned on using VCDS etc.
* Sun visors can be extended after you un-clip them at the end to move them around. They will extend almost all the way to the B pillar when in line with the front doors. Not that there has been much sun recently ☹️

Probably plenty of others that I can?t remember now.

- Climatronic? Please Elaborate :)
- Doesn't bother me too much, so far it's just playing from Spotify from my phone
- This might be one I'll have to try out when there's not much traffic
- This one I knew about, and looked like a dick after my first test drive of a Mk5
- This one I knew about aswell, and it's been incredibly useful the last few mornings
- Sounds interesting - I knew there were lights for just about everything, but I'll look more into this one
- This one I'll play around with aswell. I often drive directly into the sunset at times (Tamaki Drive), so this will be useful asf

Crovalli

Quote from: McDoof on August 28, 2018, 04:57:17 PM
Not bad. Nice low mileage.
If you can afford it, I would recommend getting a stage 1 tune done on it.
It really livens up the car.

This is in the pipeline :D

The Red Warrior

Quote from: Crovalli on August 30, 2018, 08:43:36 PM
- Climatronic? Please Elaborate :)
- Doesn't bother me too much, so far it's just playing from Spotify from my phone
- This might be one I'll have to try out when there's not much traffic
- This one I knew about, and looked like a dick after my first test drive of a Mk5
- This one I knew about aswell, and it's been incredibly useful the last few mornings
- Sounds interesting - I knew there were lights for just about everything, but I'll look more into this one
- This one I'll play around with aswell. I often drive directly into the sunset at times (Tamaki Drive), so this will be useful asf

Climatronic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UcRds7ExP0I

Tamaki Drive. So you?re an Aucklander as well. And live somewhere central too.

Alittletuningco

Quote from: Crovalli on August 30, 2018, 08:44:14 PM
This is in the pipeline :D

Come talk to us for all your Golf needs - tuning parts galore. We are dealers for 034 motorpsort also have access to all parts stocked by USP Motorsport, including ecu flashing kits (at better prices than APR can ever offer).

We are in talks with Integrated Engineering also to become a dealer for them.

The Red Warrior

Mmmm, Integrated Engineering.....  ::)

Alittletuningco

Quote from: The Red Warrior on August 31, 2018, 04:18:52 PM
Mmmm, Integrated Engineering.....  ::)

We launch mid September. And yes IE, we have the first Audi outside of the USA supported by their tune.

Also have a project MTM B5 build with many IE parts

Website is still being constructed so email us you requirements and we will answer you call!