STOP Low oil pressure in Mk5 GTI Golf

Started by SOFTLAD, August 23, 2018, 06:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SOFTLAD

So the trusty gti has been throwing a bit of a tanty.
We keep having the warning of STOP LOW OIL PRESSURE flash up.
We use Liquid Molly high performance oil similar to what we use in the racecars. There is no residue build up in the sump or around the oil pick up pipe which is a common fault, there is also no issue with the fancy balance shaft oil pump which is also a known fault.
If the code is cleared you can drive it around for a couple of days with no issues, then normally in a corner it starts beeping with warning again.
Any ideas or similar issues?

The Red Warrior

Check the oil level on the dipstick. Is it high, higher than even the max mark? Take the oil cap off the engine. Does it smell of petrol?
Drain some oil from the sump after the car has been sitting overnight. Is there petrol in the oil?
All these point to a worn seal in the high pressure fuel pump.

Filx

Have you checked the actual oil pressure? It could be the pressure switch itself maybe. It seems slightly odd that it happens in corners but not at idle when oil pressure is generally at it's lowest.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

80 Vert

Oil pressure switch. Happened to ours as well. I checked pressure with gauge and replaced switch.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

SOFTLAD

Turned out to be a partially blocked oil pickup pipe. Blocked inside the pipe. All sorted now

mark2 golf

I'm seeing this a lot now. I have done Four in the last year. carbon build up on the wall of the block fall off and block the pick up. Turns out long-life oil changes don't work.
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

80 Vert

They never have which is why I never ever do it.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration