PPI from afar on GTI

Started by dUser, August 09, 2018, 07:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dUser

Good morning,

I am shopping around for a new car and one that has caught my eye happens to be down in Wellington. Ideally I am looking to put forth a holding deposit, get a PPI then fly down and pick it up if all is good. Is there any recommended place that I could organise this through or would AA be the best option (from what I have read they can't run codes but is this a big deal)?

Japan https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1658343501 (low mileage, condition, japanese service history)

One thing that stood out and could be worrying is the mechatronics unit in the DSG but I guess I could be overthinking that one?

Cheers

slowmo

Powerhaus or Toyshop are independent euro workshops who can do a PPI, cost would be around the $150-200 mark but they would be very thorough and would give you a better summary than the AA.

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

GLIDN

IMO, a place like AA only does this for money and really has zero clue on the cars they have checked.

I'll ask some members in Wellington for some other options, but I believe SlowMo recommendations are a great start.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

schattenblau

ditto.

nb. toyshop is now wellington european

slowmo

I just realised  that I bought my MK5 R32 from those guys in 2014. Car was flawless - not 1 issue during my almost 3 ywars of ownership. It also came with so many aftermarket goodies that i don?t think they factored in to the price.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

dUser

Quote from: slowmo on August 09, 2018, 03:47:24 PM
I just realised  that I bought my MK5 R32 from those guys in 2014. Car was flawless - not 1 issue during my almost 3 ywars of ownership. It also came with so many aftermarket goodies that i don?t think they factored in to the price.

That's always good, couldn't find much about them.

Thanks for the suggestions. The car checked out for the mileage and wasn't throwing any codes but now my only concern is that mechatronics unit (which obviously wasn't replaced within the 27,700 km in Japan). Should I be paranoid about this and get 3 years of mechanical cover by autosure (do they cover this?) or just roll with it. I'm aware that if you go looking for a problem on the internet you find them.

Get the Autosure mechanical warranty - pretty sure this covers the mechatronics unit right?

They can get pricey $5k +