Get ownership details

Started by B5Passat, August 14, 2018, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5Passat

Does carjam tell you who the owner of the car is and their address? Is there any other site that can provide the details of who owns the car with their address etc?

My son got hit by an uninsured driver but failed to get the police involved. He did however got the drivers details and statements from witnesses. The police where reluctant to follow up on the incident and because of the privacy law wouldn't give my son any more details about the car and/or driver.

McDoof

Those details are no longer available to the public due to those same privacy laws. Can you imagine the stalking and retribution that people would get up to if you could simply find out where the owner of any car lived.

I'm making the assumption that your son is insured.
To begin with, you could give the details to your son's insurance company. They would be attempt to recover the excess from the driver at fault as they do have access to the ownership details. Failing that the cost of the excess would have to covered by him/you.

I believe car dealers still have access to the full owner details too.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

The Red Warrior

Can you no longer pay a fee at a post office to get their details?

McDoof

Pretty sure that got axed about 8 years ago
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

slowmo

If you are insured, i think your insurance company will sort that part out.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Brett

Car dealers and others do have access to these details(unless you opt out) but as previously stated the privacy laws have heavy penalties if the system is used for personal issues.
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

Max

Quote from: The Red Warrior on August 14, 2018, 03:06:19 PM
Can you no longer pay a fee at a post office to get their details?

I think you still can.........but they will record your details as the enquirer.

Brett

Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

Naekyr

Carjam only works if the vehicle was registered in a company name, then they will display the details - if it's private ownership they will not display it

B5Passat

Thanks to all those who replied.

The car wasn't insured. My son borrowed the car from my other son who went to Boston for work for several months but failed to tell his brother that he had cancelled the insurance while he was away. Why do kids have to learn the hard way?

Unfortunately today I got pulled over for speeding, doing 117 at the end of a passing lane. Can't believe I didn't see him. So I explained the situation to the officer who told my wife and I that it should be no problem to request the details of the other driver so that you could take them to court.

McDoof

OK, in the situation where both vehicles are uninsured and the claim has to made against the driver at fault, then you should be able to request the details as per this https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/how-the-motor-vehicle-register-affects-you/requesting-register-information/

Then you would have to go through the courts to recover any money.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red