Mk3 GTI Race Car Conversion

Started by Mk3GTINut, August 28, 2018, 10:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mk3GTINut

Hi All,

Short story is that I inherited a 1997 Mk3 GTI from a mate, which was not running.
He said I could have it as long as I did something with it. Awesome Mate, I know it. (Aiden - Used to be on here)
It had been sitting for 18months or so. Covered in spiderwebs and mossy bits.

Anyhow, replaced fuel pump, new fuel, oil change, battery and she was away.
It came with a few mods, Adjustable Suspension, 17inch alloys, messed with Air box. Has a 16v ABF n 5 speed manual.

Drove it for a bit, but the plan was always to convert her to a race car. (Why wouldnt you right?)
Sat at my place for another 18 months until earlier this year I finialy lifted the covers off it and got started.
Removed all the back seat, all door trims, stereo, roof lining, airbags, pass. seat. surplus seatbelts, carpet.
Then took it down to my mates workshop for the rest of the tear down.

http://hibbs.net.nz/Mk3_Golf/GolfGTI_Start.jpg

If it aint Broke, you arent trying hard enough

McDoof

Welcome to the forum
Sounds like the start of a build thread.
Have you got any pics of the car?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

VW'n

Sounds like a good car for the 2k cup
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

Mk3GTINut

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

Tried to upload a photo but got this error
"The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator."

Maybe someone can sort this out?

McDoof

Best thing to do is host your images on a proper image hosting platform and then link them back here.
Personally I use imgur, but these days photobucket is also back online and there are many others.
Get the URL link to to your image and then enclose it in img tags. Just the Mona Lisa icon when you are composing a message to create your IMG tags.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

the phantom

yes, I also use imgur, just "copy image location, press the picture button (below the B)  and post it in the centre, job done
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

slowmo

Nice to see Aidan's mk3 back to life! Looking forward to seeing the photos and build!
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Mk3GTINut

McDoof

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Mk3GTINut

McDoof

I still have a soft spot for the old MK3.
I have had 2 Jettas (Vento)
Both only 2l 8V versions, but one had a nice full leather interior,

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Mk3GTINut

This is my first real step into Euro Land. Had a number Oz and Jap perf. cars.
V8, 6 and 4 cyl.

Already had some surprises with Vacuum central locking, removalable firewall bulkhead (insead of solid stamped) and almost all removable sound deadening (as apposed to mostly glued in).
Mountains of wiring .... Being able to remove spot weilds for all the seat mounts and not having to cut them because they go through the trans tunnel was nice too. (These will be replaced with solid custom seat mounts for the racetech seats that will be installed.

Mk3GTINut

Been a while since I posted. Car had been in Storage while life got in the way, but she is fully stripped out and we have started the mounts for the rear hoops and rear strut mounts.
Issues that have arisen, nz Motorsport cage require airbag cars to have front bars to front struts for cage for homologation once Airbag is removed. That will mean that the bars will go right where wiper drive arm was.
Have to look for a centre wiper solution.

Unfortunatly I can not upload photos, saying photo folder is full.