Disputing a speed fine from a radar equipped police car

Started by AudiA3, August 29, 2018, 01:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AudiA3

I was pulled over the other day and police claiming i was doing over 130km/h and locked on to my car which then slowed down to 93km/h. I am convinced I was doing less km/h than 130km/h i.e. ~100km/h as i drive with cruise control as the minimum but its just my word vs their equipment that autolocks on. I have heard that autolock feature can be erroneous and id like to challenge them on it. The officer also spoke like he was out with an issue and said he can decide when to turn his radar on and off so i shouldnt rely on the use of a radar detector. Coming to think about it I think he may have used the speed from the last vehicle he trapped and not mine and to be honest i dont trust the integrity of the whole situation looking back. In addition to this the officer got my plate wrong when looking me up and then said on the ticket i have a station wagon where i dont, basic errors but was this guy competent, drunk, tired? I am concerned the officer was not competent at this type of speed duty, without being insulting am i allowed to request evidence that the officer was properly trained to use the stalker DSR equipment. Does anyone perhaps have a template that i can use to dispute this sort of offence? Am i allowed to challenge the calibration and the use of this fairly technical equipment? If i was speeding so be it i will pay but this just seems like a money making opportunity for the small town i was driving through.

slowburn

they have to calibrate the equipment everyday or shift don't they? and there must be a record of that surely? could be a place to start?
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

wgtngti

Quotethey have to calibrate the equipment everyday or shift don't they? and there must be a record of that surely? could be a place to start?

Think it's only every 6 or 12 months, but they do have to have a record of it.  If you go to a disputed hearing it would be in front of a JP  (white male, 70+ years old) who will only ever believe the police officer because they are a police officer and you're not (ask me how I know)....but anyway, good luck.
2023 Audi Q4 50 Sportback
2019 Audi RS4
2017 VW Tiguan R Line (sold)
2016 VW Golf GTI Edition 40
2011 VW Golf R (sold)
2008 VW Golf GTI (sold)
2007 VW Golf GTI Edition 30
2003 VW Golf V5 (sold)
1984 VW Golf GTI Cabriolet (sold)
1983 VW Golf GTI

The Red Warrior

I know it doesn't help in this instance, but when your detector goes off you've basically got to try and smash that brake pedal through the fire wall. Especially if the police are using instant on, which they tend to do in the Waikato and almost never seem to do in Auckland.

I know the radar direct NZ website used to have a lot of information on how the police use their speed detection equipment and ways you can challenge it.

heylinb4nz

Don't let them catch you is the best method, doubt at 130 kmh they would have seen your plate.

AudiA3

Quote from: Audi do on August 30, 2018, 12:31:09 AM
Did you get a ticket?.
Yes you can dispute it.
http://www.police.govt.nz/faq/how-do-i-dispute-my-infringement-notice-and-what-required

Thanks, does anyone have a tried and tested dispute letter?

In this case the police were using instant on and they dint give me a ticket immediately but they said they would post it to me which they did (officer said this was a new process). I don't see why they couldn't have printed out a ticket then and there? I wanted proof that the GPS co-ord, time and date was all correct but I guess its just their word vs mine?

wolfgang

Police do all road site checks, fines and traffic crash reports on their iphones nowadays and cant print any tickets.
The system changed two years ago about September from memory. 
1985 Audi urquattro
1980 VW Scirocco S
1987 VW Scirocco Scala
1967 Dodge Coronet
1984 Chevy Corvette

Trofeo

Why do you have a radar detector if you drive at 100 with cruise control? Just asking what the court will ask you. I'd be surprised if you have any success. Cops are all trained up to the eyeballs with processes around ticketing, so it's unlikely they'd be wrong, at least in the courts eyes.

No one has a radar detector unless they speed regularly, and this will be the police view. You need to hide the detector if you get pulled over if there is even the slightest chance of getting off.

Anyway, I'd love to hear I was wrong in your case.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

beeker

I got off a ticket years ago when they wrote down the wrong reg, then the reminder came with a different and still incorect reg.

Re calibration. My understanding is that there is a daily calibration required which needs logging.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

Gordo

Is there a date/time stamp on the RADAR/LIDAR record - it would be good sound practice to use one to avoid questions like this - and, if so, does it correspond to the time of the ticket?

FWIW, I used to have a high end 'detector in the car because, while I normally travelled at legal speeds, when it came to overtaking lanes the dumbdamns, who had been travelling at 80-90kph and holding me up, would suddenly drive at 100kph and I would need to 'speed' to get past them, and as the revenuers* would usually park towards the end of these passing areas...

*To use a polite term - certainly doing SFA for actual road safety doing this.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

The Red Warrior

I agree about the speed cameras at the end of passing lanes. Speeding or not, that is blatantly dangerous as  someone will brake hard to avoid a ticket and get rear ended by someone else also trying to get past the muppets who've sped up to the limit in the left passing lane.

McDoof

Quote from: The Red Warrior on August 31, 2018, 04:23:20 PM
I agree about the speed cameras at the end of passing lanes. Speeding or not, that is blatantly dangerous as  someone will brake hard to avoid a ticket and get rear ended by someone else also trying to get past the muppets who've sped up to the limit in the left passing lane.
I remember this used to happen a lot about 8 -10 years ago. Especially between Auckland and Ruapehu along the back roads. I have not seen them do this for a loooooong time.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

80 Vert

Quote from: Gordo on August 31, 2018, 09:47:23 AM
Is there a date/time stamp on the RADAR/LIDAR record - it would be good sound practice to use one to avoid questions like this - and, if so, does it correspond to the time of the ticket?

FWIW, I used to have a high end 'detector in the car because, while I normally travelled at legal speeds, when it came to overtaking lanes the dumbdamns, who had been travelling at 80-90kph and holding me up, would suddenly drive at 100kph and I would need to 'speed' to get past them, and as the revenuers* would usually park towards the end of these passing areas...

*To use a polite term - certainly doing SFA for actual road safety doing this.

I totally hear you on this, NZ is full of retarded drivers once again enforced by the 10,000 km I've done so far in the US
Zero aggression on the roads or dumb overtaking like I see in NZ almost daily.
Amazing how much more pleasurable driving is over here.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

schattenblau

police just got $4b for road safety.

i wonder how they will spend it ...

::)

beeker

Quote from: 80 Vert on September 01, 2018, 04:33:21 PM
I totally hear you on this, NZ is full of retarded drivers once again enforced by the 10,000 km I've done so far in the US

That?s because they either sue you or shoot you if you make a mistake.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

dummer

Quote from: 80 Vert on September 01, 2018, 04:33:21 PM
Depends on the state you are in

80 Vert

I've been to 9 states this trip alone, I'm sure there's problems in the US too but on a whole it's 1000% better than NZ
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration