Please help!! 2005 Golf GTI engine light after filling with 98 from Gull..

Started by VW henz, September 07, 2018, 04:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VW henz

Hi guys, hopefully someone can help and maybe offer a bit of insight on my current predicament. I just purchased a ?2005 Golf GTi? , went to the local Gull station (Ti Rakau Dr) and after filling it up with ?unleaded 98? noticed the ?engine light? showing as I turned the vehicle on to leave. Did I use the incorrect fuel or is it possible that there is another reason why the ?engine light? would have appeared. I drove around for about 20mins afterwards and didn't notice any change in the way it drove or in performance. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be or what I could do to resolve it. All help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

the phantom

I routinely used Gull 98 in my 2008 GTI without any issues whatsoever
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Naekyr

The Red Warrior

If the gull on ti rakau drive is local to you, then I can scan your car you. I?m near botany shops. I?ve sent you a personal message.

silvergti

Did you overfill by any chance?

Same thing happened to me when i first purchased my car. I was so used to overfilling my prev car (old habits die  hard) and didnt know it would throw up codes until i did a bit of googling

Naekyr

Is that a thing? I just press the little button in and let it fill up the tank automatically and then it the button pops out when its full or do you then go and press again to put more in after the pump has told you the car is full?

brian

Quote from: Naekyr on September 11, 2018, 08:24:16 AM
Is that a thing? I just press the little button in and let it fill up the tank automatically and then it the button pops out when its full or do you then go and press again to put more in after the pump has told you the car is full?
If I'm going on a trip I brim my tank....usually squeeze in quite a lot more after the 'auto stop'
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

The Red Warrior

Quote from: Naekyr on September 11, 2018, 08:24:16 AM

For these cars in particular (and probably plenty of other VAG cars) yes, it?s a thing. There is a thread about it on this forum somewhere where GLIDN mentions exactly what happens and what can be done about it.
But suffice to say, if you let the pump auto stop and then don?t put any more in after that it will be fine.

ERRRNO

Try tightening your fuel cap properly. Its a common mistake.

Otherwise feel free to pop around and ill explain to you how to fix your issue in person.

Arno
Black 3door Mk4 TDI - Elite Motorsport Hyper miler
Tornado Red Mk5 2.0 TFSI Variant - Elite Motorsport Stage 2
White Mk6 GTI DSG - Elite Motorsport Stage 1

ranton-inc

Rigpig

I have this exact same issue, bought a Mk5 GTi for my partner for Christmas, drives wonderfully but filled with GULL Force 10 at Titirangi and almost instantly the light came on. I did the overfill thing as well. It?s a habit 🙂 Is there a resolution to this, can?t get scanned until after the Christmas break ☹️

Thanks
Company Car
2006 Mk5 Golf GTi project car
2010 Mk6 2.0 TSi Wagon stage 1+ (Wifey's sleeper 🙂)

GLIDN

Quote from: Rigpig on December 23, 2018, 12:48:35 PM
I have this exact same issue, bought a Mk5 GTi for my partner for Christmas, drives wonderfully but filled with GULL Force 10 at Titirangi and almost instantly the light came on. I did the overfill thing as well. It’s a habit 🙂 Is there a resolution to this, can’t get scanned until after the Christmas break ☹️

Thanks

Yes, don't overfill the tank. Common issue as it blocks the breather hose from carbon cannister to gas tank. Which will be why you received the dreaded P0441 error code.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Rigpig

Thanks, so If that?s the error I can just get it cleared with no worries?

I have an OBDC scanner somewhere, cheap Bluetooth device from trademe. Will that work with a Golf or do I need to take it to a mechanic?

Thanks again.
Company Car

Rigpig

Quote from: GLIDN on December 24, 2018, 02:30:44 PM
Yes, don't overfill the tank. Common issue as it blocks the breather hose from carbon cannister to gas tank. Which will be why you received the dreaded P0441 error code.

That was the exact error, now reset. Thanks for the reply.

I won?t overfill again 🙄
Company Car